Teen Titans Go The Movie

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

That would be the average score for professional critics, not the average score for user reviews. You know that, right?

• Like Like x 1
  2. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Doug talks about the hate on TTG for like half an hour before getting into the movie. He says there are some really good jokes but not many of them, and that it is basically just like the show, so if you hated that, you will hate this.
    Also, he actually talks about the PLOT, which so far in this thread nobody seemed to mention.

I assume this is gonna do well simply because the target audience are very, very young kids, like ~10 years. Kids that age enjoy anything, and tend to fixate on a show, like how it happened with Spongebob and why that thing became a big hit. The main audience for this movie will be the same kids.

What goes for "professional critic" seems to include "average message board poster who decided to make a youtube channel" and "annoying attention-seeker who tweets a hundred things every day" these days, so that's basically the same thing as the non-professional opinion. Seriously, there are very very few people out there nowadays whom I would call professional. Because for that you actually have to UNDERSTAND how movies work, and had to have watched some classics. I have to laugh at the people who say they are professional critics and then off-handedly remark they never seen some pretty mandatory classics.
    I mean, people like Doug Walker, Film Brain or the Red Letter Media guys have seen a gazillion of movies from classics to trash, and they understand what makes a movie and know what they are talking about. On the other end of the spectrum we have guys like Adum of YMS and Blockbuster Buster who know one or two things well (YMS knows camera techniques and Erod knows about superhero stuff) and think now they are the one-all, be-all of what is considered good or bad entertainment. It's not an exact science of course, but when even I - and I am not a great expert, I am just old and have seen a LOT of movies in my time - can tell when they are simply saying things that are false or stupid, then yeah, they cannot be considered professional.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  3. Dolza_Khyron

Professional Critic = Someone who has been paid to give their opinion on something. Usually by a publication like a newspaper, website, or heck, even youtube.

Your "average message board youtube reviewer" would be under audience scores. Which is an entirely different number.

I went through all four pages of the professional critics who reviewed the movie. They all seem to be from a newspaper, or review website paying them to give an opinion on them. So, I don't even know if you even read these, now. So the real question is do you hate these scores because of the people reviewing them, or because you disagree with them?

What exactly are the mandatory classics? And who decided that they were mandatory?

They are professional critics if they get paid to be one. That is all that is required to be a professional at anything. Being paid to do it. That's all. There are/is no requirements other than that.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  4. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I value experience and professionalism more than "works for a website". Sorry, newspapers? :D  Nobody reads them anymore in 2018... Maybe that is what RT thinks means professional, but as I said, I think otherwise.
    I read a LOT of these links on RT before, yes, and found most of them just terribly superficial and lacking. Not for this movie, I am speaking in general. I have seen reviews that made it clear the writer never even saw the movie but just checked the trailer and wrote the mandatory X number of words to fill an article.
    And no, please don't fixate on your apparent theory that I hate the movie so I disregard critics that praise it. I actually feel nothing for this movie. I watched a few episodes of this thing, did not like it, I also know I am not the target audience. I care absolutely nothing for the movie either. I just noted that it is ridiculous that this thing is rated on the same level as Infinity War (a movie, btw, I also did not care much about, but is unarguably so much higher in production values alone).
    Mandatory classics I should not explain to you, just check any educational material on cinema history. Obviously as time goes on, more and more movies are added to this list.

5. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    Yes, because Doug Walker is the voice of reason right now...

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dolza_Khyron

You feel so nothing for this movie that you are in a thread about it complaining about the score it's gotten on another website. Good job on that professionalism.

And Please, tell me what these mandatory classics are. What movies am I required to see before I am allowed to give an opinion on the movie I just saw? You know, other than the movie I just saw. So far right now the credibility of these critics is much higher than yours. As unlike you, they have actually seen the movie. And, I've seen the movie too.

The movie is well made. It is very well voice acted. With actual voice actors. All doing a fantastic job. Sure there are celebrities in this film. But, unlike most modern animated movies, they are not the lead roles. They are only supporting roles, or cameos. The voice actors are the stars of this film. This film shows a gigantic love for both DC/Marvel, and animation in general. In every frame.

But, then again, I guess I am not qualified to talk about the movie I just saw because I I don't know what the mandatory classics are. Or, who decides that they are classics. Or who decides that they are mandatory.

This.

7. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    I was a huge fan of the original show and have seen maybe 20 or less episodes from GO but I genuinely enjoyed this movie and laughed through it all and enjoyed the little seriousness it did have.

So many funny parts especially with Shia Lebuff or however you spell it. That part had me and my friend dying of laughter.

10/10 hope they bring back the OG show.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Le Sigh... I guess I have to spell it out for you, yes?
    Mandatory classics change depending on WHAT you are reviewing.
    Say you are reviewing the Hobbit movies. To do that without having seen the LOTR movies, having read the original Hobbit and LOTR books (or at least knowing the synopsis of them), and at least being aware of the Rankin Bass animated version, would be like admitting you have no basic school education. What can you gain from a review of something by someone who self-professedly never saw/read/knows about the thing the movie he is reviewing is about? And we live in the age of the internet, where you can get all the information you ever need in a few hours - even if the reviewer did not read/saw the originals, the best he could do is use bloody Google or Wikipedia. There is no excuse for lack of knowledge these days.
    Example A: I find hard to take Bennet the Sage seriously as a hardcore Otaku he says he is, when during his Devilman OVA review it was abundantly clear he was unaware of the 1973 anime, he never touched upon how interconnected all the Go Nagai mangas are and how Devilman's story sort-of continues in Devilman Lady... And these are things "I" am aware of. And I don't much care about anime. These are all things a sideways glance at Wikipedia could net you in a minute, so it is quite inexcusable when a guy makes it whose only job is watching anime and making reviews.
    Example B: Linkara's Power Ranger reviews are pretty through and actually well made. But he refuses to even do a minor research into the Sentai they were based on or talk about them in any way... which would explain a LOT of the weirdness in characters appearing and disappearing given how people had to work around the original footage, etc... This is like if we Transformers fans wanted to review the origin of G1 toys, and simply refuse to accept the existence of Microman and Diaclone. Nobody expects him to do an in-depth review of the sentai, just point out a few curiosities that came from the nature of these shows... something Phelous can do amazingly well. He is a reviewer who obviously works hard and explores the origins and backgrounds of what he reviews, and when he is presented with new information by fans, he even mentions that later on.

Whatever faults he has as a person, does not mean his professionalism as a reviewer is questionable. I never said "voice of reason", so dunno where you got that from.

9. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    That was a really fun movie, loved all the different artstyles used, and hearing a orchestral cover of the original theme was actually really cool.
    Might also be one of the few superhero movies to actually credit all the creators of characters involved in it, which is nice, and the DC Superhero girls short was super cute.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dolza_Khyron

All the education in the world, can not tell you whether a movie is good or bad, before you have actually seen it. However, until you have seen a film, than you can't determine if it was good or bad. Which is an entirely subjective thing. As all movies are illusions. It is the job of each individual movie to hold your attention long enough that you do not see the wires holding the people up. Or at least, are still entertained long enough to get through the movie. How well this works is completely different from person to person. No education is going to make a movie better, or worse for you. That's all going to be on you.

A person reviewing the Hobbit films are just as credible as any person who has not seen them. And, they are just as important as the people who have not seen it. As they are going to go into a the film with zero knowledge of the material. So, they are actually able to go into the film with zero expectations. A person who has read the books, or watched the previous films, is going to go into the film with expectations. Expectations that make them want it to be like the book, or the previous films.

But an uneducated person who has not seen or read any of the movies or books, who has just woken up from a 30 year coma, goes into the film with zero expectations.

Like I said above, his opinion on this film is just as important as someone's who has seen it. As someone who hasn't seen or read any of the material, is much more likely to get confused or lost in a film, especially something like Devilman. Which is a hugely important thing to keeping up the illusion. Because not everyone has seen Devilman. In fact, I'd suspect, that most people probably haven't. Considering the 7 billion people in the world. I'm guessing not even 1 billion has actually seen the movie. But, their opinion on the film once they do see it, is just as valid, or just as important as someone who is familiar with it.

Probably because he is reviewing Power Rangers, and not Sentai. Power Rangers should either stand up on it's own, without any required knowledge of the original shows, or it should fall. Because that is the way the show is being presented to the audience. An audience that went into the series with no knowledge of the original shows. Especially with the original shows.

I have basically zero knowledge of Teen Titans other than the two shows on cartoon network, the movies, and the 60's cartoon. So, I guess all this means I am unable to review the TTGO film that I saw. Because I haven't seen any of the other stuff. Even though, I saw the film. Am I right?

He went into Teen Titans Go To The Movie with less knowledge of the material than I did. As I actually seen the other two Teen Titans cartoons. He said he hasn't. He also had no knowledge of Dragonball, and he still reviewed that. He reviews things all the time without any prior knowledge of the previous material. Yet, it is okay when he does it.

Yet his is somehow more valid than mine. His is some how more professional than all those critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

Yet he is the one who is professional.

This is why I said you are picking and choosing reviewers based on whether or not you actually agree with it. It's not a theory. It's an observation.

11. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

It has made 3 times its budget so I think it can be considered an success

12. Dolza_Khyron

Good, because I would love to see more of these. As I've seen the show and I've seen the movie. And the movie is clearly on a higher level of humor than the show. So's the animation. So, I want to see more of this. With more cool villains. And more explosions and special effects. Their capes need to be cgi too.

13. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    They're back!....sort of.

• Like Like x 1