Teen not allowed to graduate over community service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Really, really? How in the world is this Obama's falt?

2. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

Alabama

3. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I don't believe in Nationalism. All it does is divide the people of the world.

That's all I have to say about it.

4. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

*reads posts, shakes head, walks away*

5. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

More ignorant misconceptions of what Service learning is. It is not helping inured people on the street or 'detention'. Constant belittling of what people actually do when they do community service no wonder there is such a negative attitude from people who have no experience doing real service to others. You would think the government has these kids in shackles breaking rocks on a chain gang by the way some people are posting.

Since these educational requirements are implemented *BY* the schoolboard who is elected by the parents, there is a good chance a majority of parents already know this and supported this program for their community. So for it to be a requirement it *WAS* formally introduced, it WAS voted upon.

She didn't earn shit. She was 12 hours behind the rest of her classmates who earned their diplomia. I am not seeing any other versions of this story on google so it is hard to tell if the schoolboard forced her to make up the hours or not.

It sounds like most of the people who are against this are older people who haven't been in school for years who has never done an act of charity. Go check your local school systems now and see if your 1 history credit and no community service hasn't been changed int he past 10 years to 3-4 credits with mandatory civics, a state wide standardized test and 15-60 hours community service. Considering more than 50% of school districts in the US have these requirements now (and growing) you might be surprised what the school boards that you vote for every 2 years have done to your schools.

But it is easier to be "back in my day, My life was hard and I had no time and things being hard 50 years ago when my mother was in school is directly applicable to how schools should run today." All these excuses because a kid couldn't be bothered to fulfill her requirement that was put in place by the most local form of government we have.

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Dude, it doesn't MATTER what the work is, it's still forced labour from people who have enough on their plate. We expect kids to go to school five days a week, THEN we throw homework on top and then someone else comes along and says "Oh, by the way, we need you to go do some community work as well. Yeah, we could pay people to do it, but slave labour gets me hard."

7. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think this thread is done since it's just going round and round the same point.

The girl in the original article did graduate.
    She just wasn't able to attend her graduation ceremony due to not completing enough hours of community service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.