Teen not allowed to graduate over community service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

You haven't addressed what I said at all. Well done, it takes skill to avoid the point that carefully.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

And Columbine wasn't even the first shooting of this type to kick the trend off. The dozen or more before it should warrant closer study than Columbine. Columbine is just one of the more memorable shootings because of all the media coverage/hype. Hell, a Scottish primary school had 16 sixteen students massacred in 1996, but a student didn't committ the shootings.

3. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

Thanks.

If you say that because you're dying to know what I think about kids in the UK, I can't comment on it. I don't know anything about the school systems there, I haven't grown up in that school system, or with the outside social influences. I don't know why it hasn't happened in the UK, but I'm thankful it hasn't and hope that it won't. edit: (Apparently it has ^ but also not by disgruntled students)

The other point, I adressed: It's happening now as opposed to any time before because the precedent on how struggling kids deal with bullying has gone from telling teachers or just dealing with it day-to-day to wanting revenge by murder because a couple people with mental disorders did and set 'the bar' to that extreme. Why things have taken this turn has been subject of plenty of debate since Columbine. I think it probably has something to do with evolving (or maybe regressing in the eyes of some) social norms, a lot of which comes from media and advertising.

I'm not some uptight prick that is condemning media violence and all that crap, but there's a lot of that going on in America and it really depends on the maturity level and how people are raised (and their mental health) on how they interpret that information. I'd venture to say that most kids in those kind of situations think they are alone and have it harder than anyone else and without responsible parenting it doesn't seem unlikely to me that any beaten up kid could bring a gun to school whether its just gesturing for attention, a cry for help or whatever else. Maybe it just doesn't seem far off to me because these kinds of things are a reality here now.

4. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

The stress on the kids are not coming from school alone.

Besides with known things like ADD and such, whose to say kids have free time. These days are like our days. I see some kids commute miles to get to school here in L.A. Not all people get home and play on the internet, videogames, etc. Some people community service starts right at home.

As far as community service studies... sometimes studies are crap. They are oversimplified, using statisitical bullcrap, and does not take diverse "samples." Heck give me grant money so I also can spend 10% of it as part of the study and the rest on overhead.

While I can agree with Optimus Sledge, there was another thread here that told why Columbine happened.

Besides there people do extra-c. activities for getting into a good college. Thus they are not putting their heart in the right places. What Mumps said agrees with my previous statement. Community Service should be like jury duty. I think people should do it because they want to do it, not make their resumes better. If I was a hobo looking at someone who was helping me for personal gain. I will be disgusted, but except their help anyway.

5. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    "...had it verified on a written statement signed by teachers."

They talked about the requirements to participate, which doesn't necessarily mean they talked about the specific requirements of the community service requirement. They may have, we don't know. But the teachers should have never signed off on her community service if it wasn't satisfactory.

6. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

It doesnt matter if they told the requirements before, the point is :"...had it verified on a written statement signed by teachers."
    They signed it. So it's valid, and she deserves to graduate.
    Edit: My bad, she should be allowed to go the ceremony,

7. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

She did graduate. She just didn't go to the graduation ceremony. Misleading thread title is misleading.

8. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I am going to assume this is directed at me since I think I was the only one that posted a link to an actual study. If you can point out the "crap" in that study, I would like to know what it is.

If not, then I apologize.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

No no, in America we don't force the kids to do community service before graduating :lol 
    Some schools or classes make kids do it, but it's usually used for people who got in trouble. Merely an option...pay a ticket/fine, , house arrest, driving school, AA or community service etc... , ANYTHING but jail

It's the only way we'll pick up our own litter lol, it's mostly just fast food bags & cig butts

10. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i can list my full high school graduation requirements right here...

3 english credits. all courses involved reading novels a lot and that was about it.
    2 math credits
    2 science credits: chem, bio, physics, etc...
    1 social studies credit: history and geography are the ones that immediately come to mind. i took history, and the class was ancient history, no canadian content whatsoever. it was mostly about mesopotamia, greeks, and romans
    1 "global" studies credit: global history or global geography. again, i took history here. it was basically recent global history, not all that canada specific at all, mostly just stuff about the cold war and how it ended.
    1 fine arts credit: drama, music, art, etc...
    and finally, a split course called CLM/PAL: CLM was career/life management. we learned about how to write resumes, avoid drugs, and have safe sex. whoopie. PAL was physically active lifestyles. it was a fancy name for gym. there was a required project in that course that involved being physically active outside the school. i randomly picking curling for no reason at all and my mom signed off that i had paid for a month at the curling club. that was all i needed.

that was my high school experience. none of that had anything to do with citizenship or civics or anything of the sort.

11. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Yes it was directed at you. But I do not mean to offend you if I did so. Studies have popped up in so many times. If I can keep track of them I could have sworn that they contradict each other.

Check out this recent "study"
    Too Much Cola Can Cause Muscle Problems - Yahoo! News

Out of two patients and they reached that conclusion!!! And who the heck drinks that much soda? At least you get an idea of how they reached that conclusion.

If you took a Stats class. The whole Bell curve and SRS.
    I've found one case where that doesn't work. If you took an SRS of all positive integers, you will reach 3 conclusions on different "studies".

1. There are more odd numbers than even ones.
    2. There are more even numbers than odd ones.
    3. There are number of even and odd numbers are the same.

You see a problem here?

12. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Wouldn't be TFW2005's GD without forced sensationalism now would it?

Many of the OPs here should go work for Fox News or something.

13. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

im in the mood of rubbing people out of the face of the earth. where does this principal live?

14. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

This is slightly messed up.

15. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i think the internet looked at it, went, meh, and went back to what ever it was doing.

the teachers really shouldnt have signed off on it. or atleast told her to do something out of the school. atleast she still picked up her diploma.

16. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    ...well, I'm going to guess that your parents weren't horrific, abusive alcoholics and your heart wasn't damaged by an untreated bout of rheumatic fever...but that's neither here nor there, I guess. (My mother is better than you. Yeah, I said it.)

In any event, it's clear that neither of us is going to persuade the other here. You ignored my point re: teens not getting enough sleep (I can't provide a citation off hand, but it was information provided me by professors in my graduate program in Library & Information Science for a course on teen resources and services) and we fundamentally view this stuff in different ways. I see it as forced volunteer work, you see it as some sort of high school internship.

17. matrixprime

matrixprime Just a guy who likes toys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    This. I went to high school in Illinois a number of years ago but never was required to any community service. As far as college goes, I currently go to UMSL , a branch of University of Missouri, and they have no such requirement either. I guess this Community Service act or whatever never made it to the states I went/go to school in.

18. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Canadian history yes, civics maybe (if social studies could be considered civics then yes). But they both done in junior high. In high school it becomes elective subjects.

I learned about how westminstrian system works from model parliament in high school. Which was an extra curricular activity.

19. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

You didn't offend me, but the study's research is very sound and well documented.

That is an article about a study, not an actual study. It details two OF the patients, not that there were only two patients. Plus this is in a journal of medicine where unique cases to maybe only a handful of people may even be studied. The actual study comes out in June, so I do not know the details of what and how many.

Those are three expected outcomes that would be predicted before the sample was taken. I would be more interested in the standard deviation and variance of the sample.

Point aside, the study I quoted was looking at behaviors across a wide range of backgrounds and how often those behaviors occur. I contend that it was not a "crap" study.

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You cannot mandate compassion.
    You cannot instill civic pride, community spirit by demanding things get done like chores.

We are people, not ant colonies.

anyway, it is nitpicking to determine that community service during school hours doesn't count. it sends a bad message.
    imagine:
    walking down the hall to the principal's office on an errand for your history teacher and you see the Calculus teacher passed out on the floor.
    "Sorry, not gonna call 911 because i won't get credit for it until after 3."

Community service should be taught as a 24/7 idea (in addition to it being VOLUNTARY and something you eagerly choose to do on your own) with no restrictions.
    i would love to know what her Disqualified work was.
    cold calling for donations for a local Boys/Girls Club?
    a voting drive?
    Organizing a blood drive?

Walking with a cap and gown is a privilege, but it was earned by 13 years of hard work and dedication- which trumps 20 hours of Detention under a fresh coat of paint and PC lingo....

The easiest way to solve this problem would be for the parents to demand the school board formally introduce, discuss and vote on it, then detail it in writing in both the student handbook and other forms.

that way, a student like her who did her part can throw it at em and get what she earned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.