Teen not allowed to graduate over community service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

If you think that is all there is to community service than you really have no idea what the service learning program in most public schools is about. These programs are well organized and a lot more than picking up litter.

Lots of times Kids *WANT* to volunteer hand have no way of knowing how to. They don't know who to talk to or where the opportunities are. Which is why these schools usually have a service learning coordinator position which helps arrange these things.

Kids often gain access to internships and sometimes career paths from these experiences, which it was designed to do.

And remember int he US that education is LOCAL jurisdiction. So your kids can be as shallow or as robust as your community chooses them to be. And that if her school had this requirement, it was something approved and supported by the local community via school board elections. That is how civics work. So People have no right to be upset at anyone but themselves and if they don't like it, they can pull out of public education or vote to change the school board.

It is working as intended.

(edit: and being a doctor is a poor example to be sarcastic about. Doctors do a *LOT* of things that would be considered community service during their higher education and it does impact them when they go to graduate and gain employment. Right now lots of programs are supporting volunteer programs in India where med students can help provide much needed free care at India hospitals and gain valuable experience.)

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  2. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I never had to do Community Service at my school, nor was it required at any college I went to.

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I think it is funny that she had 30-40 friends that she invited to a high school graduation ceremony.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Also community service should be Volunteer work. If you make it mandatory to graduate from/be admitted to a school, then it isn't Volunteer work because it is then forced. It then becomes unpaid labor. I'd love to see some sort of lawsuit against this sort of thing. I have a problem with forcing someone to do stuff like this in order to receive their earned diploma. School should be about academia only, not about "Little Susie was forced to help the community". Stuff like that should be done yes, but of the students free will. It should be done to make themselves look better for admissions, not because it is forced upon them.

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    If the rules were well laid out then I see no problem. If, in fact, she was told she completed the requirements and was sandbagged at the last minute... that is not cool.

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

You're absolutely right. I have no idea what passes for an education system in a country 3,000 miles away from me. An unforgivable oversight on the part of the British education system, really. We should drop all that stuff about the English language, mathematics, physics, etc and focus on how the American school system works. Maybe when we've done that we can nip out and help some old ladies over the road, or mow some lawns.

See, I'm old-fashioned. I think that school should be about learning stuff, not about community service. If kids want to do that in their own time, or their parents want to make them, great. All power to them. But it's not what schools are there for.

Oh, and your point about doctors doing stuff that could be construed as community service? Yeah, they kinda have to. There's not really another way to learn medicine than to go and do it at some point. That's a relevant part of the learning experience, not politicians passing bullcrap laws to make themselves look good.

7. nkelsch

Take it up with every US president since 1968 then.

As of 2004, 46% of US high schools had service learning requirements to graduate. Since Obama campaigned on this as a huge issue of his, expect it to go way up in the next 4 years.

Good luck taking it to court too. Local school districts can pretty much require anything they wish for granting a diploma and setting a standard. All a Diploma means is 'some system somewhere backs your education' regardless if your education is barley adequate or if they require a full HS education. It is up school/job to verify what standard that diploma holds. In her school district, it requires education through service learning. What about the kids who DID the requirements, ALL OF THEM to gain that diploma, how is it fair to them that she is being presented as well educated and experienced to colleges as they are when she was not? I suspect they set up some sort of Community service for her to fulfill her requirement in the summertime so she could be up to the same standard as her peers.

I think some people lack understanding how local government and the schoolboard/Schoolsystem really works if they think they have the right to sue over this.

8. nkelsch

You mean it is possible to do community service and gain knowledge or experience not capable of being taught in a classroom?

My god... You would almost think these kids are somehow LEARNING by doing service in the community... But school isn't about learning.

Oh, I guess it is.

There are A LOT of things that have to be learned by simply going and doing it. And Community service like Internships are a great way for kids to become exposed to things they like and learn things outside the classroom. And there is a lot more to real community service than mowing laws, picking up garbage and helping old ladies cross the street. The belittling of those who do community service as doing ignorant slave-like tasks show your own close-mindedness.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  9. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    you guys are missing the point, she still graduated, the community service requirement was about attending graduation, as in she wasn't able to walk across the stage, had to pick up her diploma the next day. the school did not require her to volunteer to graduate, only to walk in the cap and gown.

10. nkelsch

I suspect when more than one article appears on google, it will be shown she made arrangements with administration to make up those hours in summer session. All a diplomia is, is a piece of paper signed by your school board representative. If they worked something out with the system for her to make up the credits then they can give her the diplomia.

11. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh man, I remember all my community service from Freshmen year. It was a bitch, and I don't know how they expected me to get any done after that anyway. On top of having a full course load, sports, a job, and other extracurricular activities (plus ME time, which nobody gives two shits about anymore), I had ZERO time available.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Don't laugh just yet - wasn't there some mention of UK schools maybe adding community service as part of schooling a short while back?

Do they still do work experience in schools here? I suppose that could sorta be classed as something similar, although it's in school time and more for businesses than community.

As for this girl, sounds like a break down in communication somewhere. But as long as she got her diploma I'd not be complaining if it was me.

13. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Meh, sucks for her, but that is life. Just an early taste of it when you don't look over the fine print. I'm just glad my school or any of the colleges that I attended did not require community service.

They're called Private Schools, dude. You know,where all us rich people go to avoid the lower class drudgery of community service.:thumbs2: 

14. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My high school didn't require students to complete community service, though our parents had to complete so many hours of service to the school (run the concession stand at sporting events, pick up trash, etc.)

It was not until I attended college that I was required to complete community service (part of a scholarship I received.) I agree with Nkelsch that much can be learned from community service, and I have no problem with schools requiring it.

As far as the story goes, she should have been told when she completed the work it would not count towards graduation.

15. Faxon

Faxon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We have something broadly similar here in the UK, namely work experience, which as you can guess, means that you can spend two weeks working. No pay though unless the employer wants to, and it is just for a business rather than the community. Not compulsery though. At least I think it isn't, though the year below mine had an embarrasingly large number of people "working" around school because they failed to get a placement.

16. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

huh? i don't get it. i thought community service was what kids did when they were caught shoplifting. i've never heard of such a thing here in canada.

17. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I don't like the idea of community service, but regardless, I tend to side with the principal on this.

18. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V The token Asian one

I never did any Comm.Service, well, I took a statewide test questionnaire thing that counted as CS...bahahah, glad I got out when I did

that sucks for the girl though, what a load of crap, Community Service is Community Service, it shouldn't matter what hours it was completed..

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    to me he only way Community service should be a forced thing is if your ordered to do after pleading guilty/being convicted of a crime it has nothing to do with education, I could see if it the kids got extra credit for doing it but it wasn't required but as is, no i just cannot approve of it thats my opinion on it

20. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

This forced community Service is going to be its own undoing.

These rules don't think of people who have to work in high school to help their families.

When I was little I loved to read. Got through the school system. Now I hate reading. Why? Because I was forced into read books that scholars praised. Shakespear? No for me.

(I read to learn, not for leisure)

My point is if community service is forced to gain the simplest things, then people will start doing it less. Like me and reading.

I did not do community service to get into college. So stop say every "high school requires..." for "...every college or university" unless you know everything.

Man we even in our own way adopting Reconditioning Camp like China, we called it high school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.