Teen not allowed to graduate over community service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is pure Bullshit. She did her part, got signed off, and then got punk'd at the 11th hour.
    No one should be forced into community service anyway. it is a personal thing.
    not debating politics on this, just the fact she did what they asked and got hosed in the end.

Buckhorn Bars Student From Graduation Ceremony - WHNT

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

That's fucked up I mean seriously they shouldn't be all like "what we said counted before doesn't count after all"

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    okay thats just plain stupid I would not be surprised if legal action was taken, I feel for the girl involved in this, if i had been in her class i would have tried to organize a protest at the ceremony where no one would go on stage as a sign of solidarity to their classmate

4. bandron

bandron seeker jets' nightmare

Ebay:
    All I can say is leave it to 'bama to screw things up this bad. That there is pure horse hockey and deserves to be smacked soundly. I feel for the girl, no one should HAVE to do community service to graduate from their school.

5. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Um, you can't get into college without community service. It is a requirement just like 4 credits of English and gym class.

And she didn't follow the rules, she doesn't get to graduate. Work done during school hours is SCHOOL not community service.

Community service is pretty much a mandatory requirement for most of the united states and almost all colleges require it for admission. This has been around for over 20 years and is not new. I had to have 60 hours in 1996 and now it is 120 hours. And guess what? Federal grants give the school more money for the education of students for school system that do it, as well as the community being improved by it. It is a Win-Win for something that is pretty easy to do and no more time consuming than an afterschool club.

Common requirement, everyone else had no problem completing it, she failed to do it, they alerted her multiple times, no graduate. I see no problem here.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  6. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    I TOO AM OUTRAGED AT A SITUATION I DON'T FULLY UNDERSTAND!

Eff the school! Eff the Teachers! Eff the rest of the faculty.

*more blind anger*

But seriously, nkelsch hit it dead on. Even my shitty University, from Canada no less, looked favorably on community service. Seems like the school was trying to give her a head start by making it a requirement in high school. No reason for her to have not done it.

7. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:

She did community service and was told that she had completed it satisfactorily. The day before graduation, she was told it wasn't completed satisfactorily and punished. That's the issue.

8. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    wait wait wait....in America you have to do community service as a part of being at school and to therefore graduate?

LOL, thats fucking outstanding. Hilarious.

9. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    She wasn't told it was satisfactory. "the school said those hours did not count because they were performed during school hours, not after"

Every other student but her did it. Why would she get a pass?

"Out of 240 students, we only had one who did not do their community service," said Ledbetter. "Within the last six weeks we met with the senior class. We talked to them about all their requirements to participate, we've gone over all of it"

It was even discussed with her. This wasn't just brought to her attention the night before.

10. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Except the school says she was told ahead of time.

To be honest, I think it's pretty stupid to have criteria for graduation, going to college, whatever other than "are their grades good enough?"

11. DreadwindsGhost

DreadwindsGhost Micro Mad

^ This. As if students aren't under enough pressure with studying as it is.

12. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I have no problem with this.

While possible she was mis-informed, I find it strange that EVERY other student complete the community service in the way that was required, while she did not.

13. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Wait, since when was community service required to graduate!?

14. Faxon

Faxon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would like to hear from the other students whether they were told this or not, given that the management at my school are a bunch of bullslaggers.

15. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    America is fragged up.

And I live here. :( 

16. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

And so the school earns the condemnation of the internetz. I condemn thee!

17. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    community service was not required to get into my university. it is usually smiled upon, looks good on an academic resume, but not a requirement like completing science classes.

it doesn't say in the article they made it clear to her that she had to perform her community service after school. i don't really see why it's a big deal she did her service during school like if she had 5 study halls and already finished all her course requirements, the teachers apparently agreed as they signed off on it.

in the end, it's dumb because it didn't stop her from graduating, she's out of that school and on to bigger, better things. it only stopped her from participating in the ceremony, she still graduated.

18. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Since 1990 when George Bush signed the "service learning act" which provides extra federal funding to schools who educate kids via community service.

It was continued and expanded by president Bill Clinton in 1994.

And both GW Bush and barack obama have expanded this program.

Did you know most schools also require you to pass a civic/citizenship test much like people gaining their citizenship do in order to graduate?

Whomever awards that degree, the county, city or state feels that community service is part of the educational process and that all students who graduate have been educated in that field along with the other fields of studies in order to graduate. If you don't like it you can either homeschool or get a GED. (many GED programs still have a community service credit requirement)

People act as if this is new? The question is more 'What low-quality school system is *NOT* requiring it and what other things are they failing to require that is putting those kids that much farther behind the rest of the nation in education and opportunity?"

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I was never required to have community service to graduate from high school, and thats something that should be voluntary not required

20. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I dunno. When considering if someone will make a good doctor, it's not enough to check their grades and their attitude to learning, you also need to know if they've picked up litter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.