Teddy Ruxpin is back!

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by MetalicGrunt, Oct 1, 2016.

1. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    If you were a child of the ‘80s, Teddy Ruxpin probably blew your mind the first time you saw him chatting away. He was one of the earliest animatronic plush characters you could actually own (without robbing a Chuck E. Cheese’s) and quickly became one of the best-selling toys of all time. Now he’s back, with upgraded capabilities and a more expressive face.

[​IMG]

This will actually be the fifth version of Teddy Ruxpin released since the first version hit toy shelves back in 1985. The original relied on audiobook cassette tapes, jammed into Ruxpin’s back, that automatically triggered mouth movements. The bear’s mouth moved along to the sounds and kids thought he was talking. Primitive technology by today’s standards, but mind-blowing to kids who didn’t grow up with smartphones.

The new version of Teddy Ruxpin, now owned by a company called Wicked Cool Toys, features some noteworthy upgrades over the original. The classic cassette tapes which are all but impossible to find anymore have been replaced with 4 GBs of onboard storage that can hold somewhere around 40 different stories at a time. It also connects to a free accompanying smartphone app over Bluetooth and can not only download new content, but to also allow kids to read along with an interactive book that stays synced to what Ruxpin is saying.

YouTube’s MommyandGracieShow got an exclusive demo of the new Teddy Ruxpin, which actually won’t be available until 2017, showing the improved animatronics of the toy. Gone are the toy’s moving eyelids, and eyes, replaced with tiny round LCD displays showing full-color animations of Teddy blinking and looking around. It adds to the believability of the character, but also less moving parts means there’s less parts to break.

Teddy Ruxpin’s hands can also be pressed to change stories, making it easier for kids who aren’t quite old enough to use a smartphone or tablet to interact with the new toy. As for Teddy’s old pal Grubby, there’s no word on whether or not he’s getting an upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Christian Prime

Christian Prime SF Ibuki & Makoto Fanboy!

If it plans to attack the Nostalgia Critic again, who knows what it could do to mankind?

• Like Like x 1
  3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Do humanity a huge favorite and finish the job is what, then he can go after all youtube reviewers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Can't wait for the first report of someone uploading "Fifty Shades".
    That'll be disturbing.

5. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

I had 2 older brothers who would have called me a sissy for even hinting at wanting one, even though I kind of secretly did. So, I never owned the original. My neighbor had it though.

They should bring back My Pet Monster and Boglins. Those were really cool.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    That is not creepy at all, no sir...

7. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    But will they make a mudblup?

• Like Like x 1
  8. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    What immediately jumps out at me is how jerky the eye movement is. Come on, up your frame rate to double digits, would you?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Never heard of that.

10. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I was all set to squeal with glee until I saw its eyes. :(  Holy crap that's unintentionally creepy!

The original was much cuter, which is really weird because blinking eyed toys usually scare the crap outta me.

I had Teddy Ruxpin, Grubby and several books as a kid. So cute. I loved listening to their adventures.

The upgrades are nice, are they gonna have books so little ones can learn to read along?

11. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

The Eyes! You can actually feel them sucking out your soul!!!

12. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I kind of wanted one as a kid too. I thought the way the entire thing worked was really neat. (Especially for its time). This new one loses something, however, with those eyes. They just don't look good.