Technical difficulties...(Computer help please)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by SPLIT LIP, Mar 28, 2008.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I doubt I'll get too much help unless most of you are computer technicians, but anyway, I thought it might help. I have vista, but I didn't upgrade, I just bought I brand new computer (was going to anyways) so far it's given me no problems, in fact, it's been great. I'm currently typing from a school computer, so I'll keep this short.

Let me start by saying that my computer's fan has been making a boat-load of noise and I'm pretty sure needs to be replaced.

This morning, I to find my computer has prompted an error message with random (to me) numbers, "/'s" and letters regarding memory. It said click Ok to terminate. There wasn't anything else it would let me do so I clicked Ok. Well, at first I thought it was logging me off, as the only thing left was my background and mouse pointer. I shut down the computer to restart and put an end to that awful noise. Well, now it's taking a ridiculous amount of time to restart, giving me grief like having to run a startup repair (I let it, by the way) because I terminated during startup (which was not the case) and now is loading in a very odd way by displaying a blank (black) screen with an enlarged mouse pointer, then three minutes later reload the screen with the background changed to blue. That's as far as I got before I thought "just let it sort itself out" and left for school.

I have no idea what to do. Hopefully by the time I go home the computer will have fixed itself. But if this is a problem someone's heard of or just something I did wrong I would like to know if it's fixable.

Most likely I will take it in and get it fixed where I bought it since I do have an extended warranty.

Thanks regardless.

P.S. I don't have access to another computer (pending my own isn't fixed by then) until 01:30, so I don't know how useful this thread may be if anyone posts but it's better than nothing.

2. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It really could be a number of things. Without know more specifics it's hard to diagnose. It could be a virus/malware, you could have memory that may be failing, hard to say. If you have that error message, I would try and google it and see what you can come up with.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, I would like to help but I have to second that it could be a number of things.

Based on what you have said it seems like the fans may not be cooling the unit enough and it might have overheated.

That would definitely be covered by the warranty.
    Even during a worse case overheat, I doubt your files on the hard drive were harmed, but the processor and video card might have been damaged.

When it booted to the desktop with the enlarged mouse that sounds like Safe Mode -basically Windows loads only as many components as it needs to function and nothing else. However the second reboot has me puzzled and Safe Mode doesn't just happen automatically -it should have prompted you.

Keep us updated.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I stopped reading at " doubt I'll get too much help."

5. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Here's an update, it's working fine all of a sudden!:lol 

Turns out it did run it's "start-up repair" while I was gone, something it supposedly couldn't do before.

I always despise posting threads like these, because more than half the time the problems end up fixing themselves like half an hour after I posted it.:p 

Thanks for the help regardless.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    So, the repair worked, I guess?

Also, if you are hearing loud noises and it's a box that has a warranty you should take it in to get it fixed. I state the obvious, I know.

7. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    My computer has been a resource hog the last few weeks ... can't watch a movie file after it's been on for a few hours, it'll actually have the monitor black out and come back on until I manage to ctrl-alt-del the Windows Media Player.

But music works fine.

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    No idea if you do this, but here are some things you can do that should help out.
    http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/getstarted/speed.mspx

Also, check out your startup folder, which contains programs that run when you boot up, and you can disable stuff you really dont need.
    http://www.speedupyourcomputer.windowsreinstall.com/part3.htm

9. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Um, if your fan is still making funky noises I'd suggest changing it out. Fans aren't overly expensive, and as long as it's not in the PSU or anything it may save your computer from overheating.

10. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The fan's not making any noise now, it stopped making noise before the whole "start-up repair" thing started. (sorry, forgot to mention)

That doesn't mean I'm not replacing it, though. I don't want my computer to melt.:p