Tarn's Identity Revealed MASSIVE MTMTE #55 SPOILER

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by omegafix, Jul 26, 2016.

1. battlefudge

battlefudge Still in the biz...

I understood all that. I did like the reason he left. But to show up just to get punched in the face, then to leave, I didn't feel served the story in a meaningful way.

2. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I know.

Overlord's departure kinda feels forced even when it serves its purpose.

But I suppose this one might be a case of Roberts preserving the character for the future use. Otherwise he'd either need to die or be forced out after killing some other characters... Since nobody expects Overlord being easily defeated.

3. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Are you the guy who went absolutely nuts claiming that the -ity books didn't anyway go against the continuity established by Chaos Theory back when the second Scavenger arc was first published?

Either way you're wrong, because there HAS been hints about Grimlock's past, from the scene of him holding the two badges in his hands to Fortress Maximus outright stating that he used to be a Decepticon. Whether he had a tenure as a 'con in a time after the -ity books or whether they're just being ignored by the other writers is yet to be seen.

4. timcourtois

timcourtois Well-Known Member

Ha! That's kind of brilliant. Though I also am a person who really enjoyed the Personality Ticks story... I'm clearly in the minority on that one. I'd be surprised if this was an intentional foreshadow of Tarn's identity, but it does fit together thematically: Just because someone stands out and has "charisma" doesn't necessarily make them better or more important.

In any case, I wonder if we'll still get more stories about Tarn, Glitch, and the DJD, finding out more of their origins. Just because they're dead doesn't mean the storytelling doesn't have to end. (Knowing Roberts, he's got a lot more of the story in his head, even if it never gets published.)

Yes, Overlord's presence in this story did seem strange and incomplete. I think there's gotta be more to come with this: that Overlord's presence in this arc was part of a setup for some future storytelling. (We still have to find out what happens with the Galactic Council, Getaway, and the Lost Light. I'm sure Overlord will be involved.)

(Not to mention: What is Overlord going to do when he finds out that 3 minutes after he left, Megatron harnessed black hole energy and annihilated the whole DJD?!?! Will he again try to track down and kill Megatron? Or will he be too scared?

Beyond that: Now that Megatron is basically god-mode-powerful, what will he do with that power? Who can ever be a threat to him again?

5. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First, let me say I was blown away by the reveal of Tarn's identity, but rather than being upset by it, I was more like "wait, what?" when Roller showed up. The reveal works, and really, it fits with the themes of Roberts' body of work in general.

In Roberts work, especially in LSotW, but also here, there are few true heroic last stands, and when there are, they don't accomplish nearly as much as they should. Deaths are small, petty, and often meaningless (see Pyro for a classic example of this).

The people we follow, they're not necessarily the most important ones (see how the universe would be better in the functionalist timeline, just not for the characters we care about, or how the Personality Ticks were beaten by people who've never been on-frame).

So it's entirely within the theme of his work that Tarn would not be someone well remembered and important like Roller, but some background entity like Glitch.

All together, he emphasizes time and time again that just because they're who we're getting to see, doesn't mean they're the important or significant ones. It doesn't mean they don't matter, that's a different story entirely.

6. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    If he can harness that power again, he can't do it near his allies, or he would risk destroying everything around him. The only reason he busted it out here was that he had a contingency (Trailbreaker's hand) and a lack of desire to walk out of there alive.

7. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

The -ity books don't contradict established continuity unless the reader wants them to contradict IDW's canon. IDW certainly seems to think the -ity trilogy works just fine because they are listed as canon on IDW's official timeline, regardless of authorial intent.

Now for Grimlock.

First, holding both badges does not mean anything significant. It means at one point he literally held both badges in his hands. Figuratively, it could mean a lot of things, most important that he chose a side. Thus far, the only side we've seen Grimlock fight for was the Autobots. Dreamwave or Sunbow, brief stints with the Decpticons, but not Marvel or IDW.

Second, Fortress Maximus not only suffers from severe PTSD, he's also demonstrated he's extremely deranged (shooting blue 'bots on Lost Light, executing Demus) and he keeps company with Red Alert, who himself is rather deranged and a paranoid conspiracy theorist. None of those factors make FM a reliable witness. Additionally, Grimlock was specifically chosen by Overlord to get to watch the Autobots at Garrus-9 die.

8. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Is anyone actually saying it destroyed the story? I think people just find the reveal unsatisfying.

And that would be OK. I'm not that clear on why Roller needs to be alive - the most interesting aspect of his character was that he might have turned into Tarn. Beyond that, there's really not much to him.

This is a rather shallow and unsatisfying position to take on the sociological and psychological reasons some people become mass murderers.

Calling somebody a 'nobody' just means they have no social standing of note. You're a nobody. I'm a nobody. That doesn't mean that if either of us were corrupted by power and became murderous monsters that our previous lives as 'nobodies' are irrelevant to that process.

There are a lot of questions that hang in the air about the DJD in general. They all have unique powers, and two of them are behemoths, which begs the question as to whether they could ever really have been 'nobodies', particularly in the ranks of the Decepticons. Unless you're suggesting they were given those powers by somebody or something?

Glitch in particular was basically a member of a superhero team, involved in some pretty pivotal events. He's a minor character in the story from *our* perspective, but the idea that he was some completely insignificant little twerp who was randomly granted great status and power by Megatron is *incredibly* hard to swallow.

I mean, there's definitely a story to be told here, and no particularly good reason, as far as I can see, why it has to be omitted.

I note that another poster further up the thread suggests that the Tarn/Glitch reveal is like when those other dudes solved the mystery before Nightbeat, and that the point is to show us that there are other stories/characters beyond the one that we happen to be following. But I'm ... not really sure what the sense is in telling us that? In 'Community', it's done for comic/meta purposes, to remind us of the artificiality of the fiction. But what reason does Roberts have for doing that? It's not like he's making the point that 'little' people make a big difference, because in the great scheme of things, Glitch is no more insignificant than Roller.

9. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    That would've been awesome!

He'll might be too afraid to use it, if his change of heart is genuine.

10. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    We don't know at all that Megatron was involved with Tarn's smelting chamber. Being the Warden could have afforded him a certain amount of authority over the prisoners that didn't require express permission from Megatron. Of course he wouldn't have been Tafn in the first place without Megatron, but if you go too far with that mentality then you come back to a curly straw, and then you realize the only reason that curly straw mattered was because Brainstorm was influenced by Tarn's actions at Grindcore and I've gone cross-eyed.

11. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I know this was all the way back on page 30 buy I have to say I agree with everything you said. I feel the loss of potentially complex villains like Tarn happens a LOT and is always pretty annoying. I find your LOK example hilarious as I have quite a bit to say about that show dropping good characters like flies.

12. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    Oh. I guess it was you. No point in arguing with a brick wall. All there is to say is that you're wrong and you know why you're wrong because you've had it carefully explained to you by multiple members over the course of the thread you de-railed the last time this was brought up. Now I'm moving on.

13. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

This may not be a view full of empathy and not in line with modern political correct sensivities, but do skip through history books and familarise yourself with some real world histories behind lives of rank-and-file people who were forming Totenkopf divisions or NKVD.

They were banal, they were often "nobodies". Criminals who got the opportunity to be in the new system. Or some of them were compensating for being underdogs before. Or some were out for revenge for being mistreated. Not counting all of them who were just insecure individuals who latched to the ideology only because it gave them purpose.

It's exactly this. Mundane as it gets. And ends in monstrosity. This was the most common pattern behind these people. And it's perfectly realistic and not disrespectful at all to state it.
    Even if it's hard to accept because a belief that there must be some kind of meaningful start to this level of darkness is more comforting.

What is scary how often normal average people can do things like that just because they're given an opportunity and fed an ideology. The Stanford experiment again and again.

Sometimes realistic or plausible ends shallow. And nothing wrong with it because evil is not romantic or seductive, or invoking any kind of compassion or pity.

I don't think Roberts changed directions last minute, given how he basically used what's the most correct origin for such types along with him quite often using real world analogies for Decepticons. It all clicks together too well.

14. mrprime222000

mrprime222000 Well-Known Member

Honestly, while I don't mind the reveal, and I loved Megatron killing the DJD, I was a bit disappointed by Overlord leaving. He's just so despicable that the chance to see him brutally murdered would be to delicious to resist.

15. mrprime222000

Hmm. You have a good case. I personally love Grimlock so I don't want him to have an evil tenure, and it wouldn't jive with the attack on shockwave (then again the ity trilogy doesn't either.) I kind of assumed Fort Max was refering to when the Dinobots went rogue as he seems like the kind of guy who would consider that just as bad as being a con. On a slight side note i really hope that Grimlock gets his memory back when he sees the other dinobots. And the um, I think her name was Strafe dinobot, if they wanna keep her she needs a new design. One that actually looks like a dinosaur.

On the ity trilogy it's kind of a mixed bag. I mean IDW has made it clear they consider those cannon and all, but there's denying that now things don't make sense especially with the dinobots. Like their new origin. It's kind of like the FOC one which I adore. But at the same time, it doesn't jive with the Shockwave spotlight which has been proven equally cannon because of Dark Cybertron and the recent Redemption one shot further cemented Monstrosity, and Maximum Dinobots led to headmaster Sunstreaker and Grimlock being in prison in the first place and oh god my head hurts.

16. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    There's also the fact that Grimlock was on The List.

I see people asking what was the point on scenes like Tarn showing concern for Kaon in Remain in Light... I think the point on that was to show that Tarn DOES care about his fellow DJD members but only to an extent. Tarn only thinks in absolutes. You're either completly loyal and utterly complacent to his frankly warped interpretation of the Decepticon cause or you're literally deserving of being tortured to death. I mean, we saw them murdering someone who had in no way actually proved disloyal to the cause but had simply started his own harmless cult... he didn't even know why they were punishing him! He also didn't go back to save Kaon and Vos until he was guilted into it... he never cared on a personal level. If they followed his views they were worthy of respect but should they ever waver he would literally rip their heads off.

I also think there's at least SOME deeper psychology implied in a character who was once mutilated because he didn't conform to a governing body's ideals and whose job now is to track down and torture to death others for the same reason.

17. mrprime222000

Wait a second so he's assumed dead?

Yeah. I didn't think of it like that, but it makes sense and helps explain why he just murdered Kaon.

And I totally agree with the whole deeper psychology thing. Slightly dissapointed we can't explore that more now.

18. leadsled

leadsled the word is "Mortifying"

Personally i think we are making a mountain out of a mole hill , Megatron killed most of the DJD .Glitch was Tarn , Thee End . I think its short sighted to think this is the very end of this story . Roberts isn't stupid and no matter how much Hasbro may push him into creating story's for the toy line of the week he has a bigger picture. I eagerly await to see the next chapter .

As others have said, a lot of IDW stories are growing stale and i feel it . The sub par art and story`s , endless politics with Starscream .This endless cyclone of where are we going with this .Roberts witt . Its addictive and i still hope after all this time that someone will see that this talent feel its way through the rest of the franchise

19. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haywired has convinced me that, should the opportunity ever arise, I would totally join the secret police.

20. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    so the Necrobot went back in time to save Roller and Terminus...What was their original fate?Did Roller get killed?