Tarn's Identity Revealed MASSIVE MTMTE #55 SPOILER

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by shadow panther, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    That should have been your first hint. James' blatant foreshadowing is almost always a red herring, and his legit stuff is extremely subtle and only makes sense in retrospect. If you really think this, chances are you've forgotten every issue except 36.

2. MelficeCyrum

MelficeCyrum Well-Known Member

This is why I was absolutely sure there was more to what Getaway was up to and how I was sure he wasn't turning into a complete jackass. And I knew it wasn't going to be Roller because it was too damn obvious.

Also the guy wasn't an outlier or a POP if I recall. Where did people think he was going to develop the ability to talk people to death when all Roller had going was super strength????

3. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

I'm Shocked that people actually convinced themselves it was going to be Roller.

4. basAliens22

basAliens22 Banned

I guess no one cared who Glitch was until he put on the mask

5. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Considering the last we saw of him he was unconscious on a field that was being irradiated for the express purpose of turning sparks into Outliers, it wouldn't exactly have been hard to explain. He was always a 0.1%er, as mentioned back in Remain in Light.

6. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    For me that's the beauty of it. It robs a sadist of his mystique. He's a nobody. Roller, who was the one I discovered I really cared about, is fine. I like that for once it's a (mostly) happy ending rather than an edgy thing which I feel gets overdone sometimes.

I totally understand why others would be disappointed though. If you look back at this thread I was disappointed until I read the issue. But the issue helped me clarify what my main concern about the Tarn mystery was- it wasn't Tarn, it was Roller.

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Hey! Doesn't that (apart from the unconscious thing) apply to Glitch as well?

8. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    He was inside Trailcutter's barrier, but his powers were already developing as seen by his abilities progressing to the point he could use them from a distance.

9. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, but it wasn't until THIRTY-SIX issues into the series that those giant flashing signs appeared, by which point everyone in the fandom had been chanting "Roller is Tarn" for over two years, when there was literally no evidence to go on beyond "we don't know where Roller is today" and "oh and Roller's a POP." Fans absolutely constructed the idea that Roller was Tarn long before the book ever gave adequate on-panel reasons to believe it was the case. The book later played into that, but whether THAT was always intended, or if Roberts seized upon that popular misconception to tack an extra "gotcha" onto the story - well, I'm saving that question for a convention panel!

10. basAliens22

basAliens22 Banned

I mean, I think it's safe to say that when Megatron took off the mask he died. And it was extremely painful too

11. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Thoughts:

I loved Megatron's plan and destruction and even rescue and Ravage (well, not that he's *dead*, I love Ravage! But it was not badly done) and Terminus.

I can... *kinda* see how Glitch's power became the voice, but it would've been nice to see him glitch something out at least once, and I do wonder how he became *big*. And Glitch was still a member of Optimus's outlier squad so losing him would've hurt. Roller still made more sense. I hope the denouement (if we get one) goes a bit into how Glitch became Tarn.

12. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Too late. You just asked that question. Dun-dun-dun.

13. Geox82

Geox82 Well-Known Member

You know, I keep hearing people talk about glitch becoming "big" - but really, at best, he became as big as Megatron, we know Megatron is about as big as Impactor and OP. Roller towered over Prime, I would say Roller is as big as Ultra Magnus. That means that if Roller was Tarn, he would have towered over Megatron. In that respect, the height is more of a tell that Tarn was not Roller. And in that respect, Glitch didn't get so much taller as his shoulders were broadened to give him a more terrifying silhouette.

14. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

There's nothing anticlimatic in the DJD demise.

Take it as a morale of the story: a thug is just a thug and gets a thug's end. Evil isn't edgy or deep. Often it's just shallow and banal. Strip it of its power and here goes its depth and dignity. You think that who people at Stasi, Gestapo or NKWD were? Often a bunch of common criminals who were lucky to seep into the system.

In a way it was very fitting end and making Tarn and others a relative nobodies is all right.

I giggled at Megatron's antimatter shenanigans especially since it was drawn in a manner similar to how it was in old Marvel UK story. Good one.

15. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, not for nothing, but Roberts has been laying down indications since the first Scavengers story that what they think they're looking for is in fact something malevolent and/or unrecognizable to their legends. You definitely might want to prepare for a "you weren't looking for the Knights of Cybertron at all, but here's a big disembodied spark that is also a mad scientist."

[​IMG]

16. GrimBee

GrimBee Active Member

I always thought that Glitch was Kaon because I thought that empurata victims couldn't get fully functioning heads back, lol.

17. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really liked this issue. The switcheroo over Tarn's identity was a great reason not to read spoilers, as it worked much better if you discovered it in the way James and Alex intended. Rolling a mouse over a black line wouldn't have been interesting. Reading it online on Panel View, Roller showing up was a jaw-dropper.

I think the readership as a whole would have barely raised a 'huh' if it was Roller. Instead they're kicking off all over the internet. Job done :D 

The moment I opened Comixology and saw the cover I knew who was going to die. It didn't click when I'd seen the cover posted before.

Interesting new crew members! Not that they actually have a ship yet, unless the Peaceful Tyranny or Deathsaurus' WarWorld picks them up.

So the thing that went off on the last page is *like a* geobomb. But presumably not actually a geobomb...

18. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Look at yourself, two fusion cannons!?

My favorite part!

19. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Amen.

20. Aurorum

Aurorum Member

Oh slag, he's looking at us.