Tarn's Identity Revealed MASSIVE MTMTE #55 SPOILER

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by shadow panther, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I think the people saying "The mystery of Tarn's identity was a fan thing" or "It was never supposed to matter who was under Tarn's mask" must have been reading a different comic to the one I was.

Tarn's mysterious identity was a huge part of his character. This may have not been the case back in his first appearance in the Scavenger arc in which no-one brought up his mask, but as soon as Prowl referred to him as "Tarn", those quotation marks brought his past into the limelight. And Roberts knew that and clearly wanted that and ran with that. From that point on who Tarn really was hung over the DJD like a cloud. You can't in all honesty say that we weren't supposed to be guessing at the face behind the mask when (for now seemingly no reason) Megatron directly suggested that it was someone close to Optimus whose conversion to Megatron's cause would deeply hurt him only two issues ago.

Now, I get what he was going for with the Glitch reveal. Everyone thought he was an actual important character (or at least one we cared out), but he wasn't. Tarn was Tarn because without the mask he was the equivalent of a background character. He was nothing. I get that and that in itself would not be a bad thing, if a little anti-climatic. The thing that sours it is the flat out obnoxious Roller foreshadowing. It was not just in Elegant Chaos... it's been a consistent thing since then and it was clearly intentional and (most frustratingly) really well done. Fans had guessed who he was and were awaiting the satisfactory pay-off of the reveal and instead what we got was disappointment.

And really, why? It's not clever writing to intentionally trick your readers with constant red herrings. The Glitch reveal would've had just the same impact (or lack there of) without all the Roller stuff, just with less frustration. It just sucks.

2. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I've got some kind of mixed feelings on this issue.
    I feel like the first half was paced rather well; but then the second half seemed, I don't know... Rushed? Everything happened so fast, it seems.
    Tarn being
    Glitch
    didn't bother me at all; and it made perfect sense with what we know about his previous
    Outlier abilities and how they evolved into his ability to talk his victims to death.
    Seeing
    Roller show up with a gang of other missing Transformers
    was a nice turn of events, too. Having seen him briefly in previous stories, you kinda grow to want to see more of him.
    Overall, my expectations were met and exceeded. I was surprised at the Tarn thing (among other things) I'm left with even more questions, like "where does Megatron feel he stands now?"
    "Overlord?"
    "What about the douchebags still on The Lost Light?"
    "What about the other douchebags that the douchebags on the Lost Light contacted about Megatron's presence?"
    Megatron's sheer, and long overdue display of bad-assery was much appreciated.
    And the thing that Nightbeat and Rung get into?!!! -- on a side note I thought it was shitty to end it like the series finale of The Sopranos.
    I'm also pretty sad about
    Ravage's death; Although it's at a time like this where the medics and the scientists can re-build him and pump some new life into him turning him into the beloved assassin I knew him as growing up with Beast Wars.
    Actually, I've always viewed Megatron as a master strategist.
    He knew Prime would respect that he wanted his trial moved to Luna 2 (as "old friends"), it's not hard to believe really.
    And with how boisterous and arrogant Starscream was during those issues (and still kind of is behind closed doors), along with spending the last four million years with him being ever so boisterous and arrogant; it isn't hard to believe that he KNEW Starscream would utterly belittle him for the sake of stroking his own ego. Megatron has been calling Starscream out on doing dumb stuff before he even did it for a while now :lol 
    And what better way to make Starscream check himself than to call for a recess, and then come back with some crazy legal rights stuff JUST to make Starscream look like the pompus ass he was/is?
    Megatron knew the DJD was still out there doing what they were assigned to do. He knew that by abandoning the Decepticon cause that would put him on the list immediately.
    I think he had a pretty good idea that the Decepticons would come back for him (I mean if they didn't then they'd all be on the DJD's list, right?). And as long as it was a possibility he could plan for, he'd plan for it.

I think the only poor writing was
    sending out a frequency to make most of the attackers feel bad about what they were doing and have done; so they run away to try to find the nearest college campus safe space.
    ... and you know; to save those characters for an even rainier day, I suppose.

3. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone remember the quantum copy thing? I don't know about you, but while I think it's cool that the fans figured it out before the next issue dropped, I constantly hoped that wouldn't happen with Tarn, and thankfully it didn't.

4. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    The reveal would have had much more of an impact if it was Roller. That's what we were looking forward to. Now with someone I did not even remember? Woah. All this build up for nothing. What's next? Knights of Cybertron just a fairy tale and the whole journey for nothing? :lol 

5. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know...you're joking with your last sentence, but if you look at the way previous mysteries have been tied up in these pages (Necrobot especially), I think that's quite likely.

I wonder how much of MTMTE is James' original vision and how much changed after the first crossovers and the sudden inclusion of concepts into the mythos that kind of contradict his grand design of things.

6. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Huh, guess it was there and no one noticed.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really think Hasbro's involvement really fucked the comics and the writer's visions.The inclusion of the 13 primes,the ridiculous enigma of combination gimmick etc...I m really curious to know what was Roberts' original vision for the early days of the transformers and their origins

8. Starscream1997

Starscream1997 Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but just an observation I noticed. Tarn's head looks a lot like Glitch's heads (minus the face obviously). Just look at them side by side.

9. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I'll say it again: i never really cared who Tarn was, there's no "suddenly" about it. I would have thought it interesting if he had been Terminus because i think Terminus is interesting. But otherwise his previous identity would only have mattered if it was explored post-reveal.
    As far as i'm concerned Roller is just as big a nobody as Glitch, people just held on to him because JR played them and they saw him as a Bulkhead kind of character: big friendly giant.
    I really dont understand why people are so mad about.This was all just a big stick of readerbait that never had any impact on the story in as far as the story of the moment wasnt about milking the readerbait.
    And all this talk about Megatron redeeming himself by killing the DJD and them being nobodies because Megatron is the big name etc... Jeez.
    Megatron is a massmurderer who can never redeem himself, in fact killing his former soldiers only makes the case against him worse.
    Like some have said this was about selfpreservation and has no moral value except a very bad one.
    And Megatron killing the DJD is just another example of first overpowering and now underpowering the DJD and overpowering Megatron coupled with a magic plotdevise, yeah they are the staple of TF fiction but MTMTE is supposed to be better.
    This is just as ridiculous as Megatron fighting that Deceptigod. Megatron shouldnt be that powerfull, its ridiculous: why did he need an army ? Why not fight the war against the Autobots on his own.
    As for the death of Ravage its just another boring example of Roberts giving characters with a dark coloursheme a melancholy arc or disposition or marking them for death because: "thats what they do in 'serious' novels". Yeah, shows how serious those writers should be taken.
    End rant.

10. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and presume this won't happen. Everyone is up in arms about the Tarn reveal and the DJD's (essentially, the way things unfolded) insignificance in the arc.
    Finding the Knights is actually important—it's the foundation of the entire MTMTE/Lost Light story. It's the story of Megatron seeking redemption, along with the multitude of events of daily life along the way (like real life). The failure to find the Knights, or at least have Megatron's redemption and the crew's story not end in a cohesive manner, would be far more egregious than Tarn not being the character everyone wanted. Just my two cents.

11. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Because Tarn being Roller would have had consequences on the story and people reacting to it in the story. This is just now an info "Oh, he's Glitch" and everyone "OK".

12. shamanking282

News Credits:
    You say that, but I'm pretty sure that the people who mattered (Prime, mainly) already knew who Tarn was. This was like the Shockwave thing, information for the readers that wouldn't have too much impact on the characters.

13. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the Knights being a fairy tale, or simply not as great as everyone'a hoping, is exactly]/i] how it's going to turn out. All of the mystical mysteries in MTMTE have all ended up with pretty mundane answers (think Necrobot), so yeah: anyone expecting the crew to fulfill their quest in a meaningful way might be setting themselves up for disappointment. :eek: 

On Tarn/Roller: he was definitely set up to make us think he was Roller. Red herrings all around, and unlike one or two posts I skimmed over: those are not unintentional (or 'bad writing').
    They're intentionally there to throw a curveball the moment Roller steps into the room and Tarn turns out to be Glitch.

Unbelievable - for some in a bad way, but for me in a good way. I was totally on board with Tarn=Roller, but this is one reveal I just did not see coming. I think there should've/could've been a bit more Glitch hints but other than that, perfectly fine to me.

Apart from the huge exposition by Ravage I thought this was a solid issue. Season 2 was a lot more uneven than Season 1 (high points: the timetravel and quantum duplicates arcs, low points: personality ticks and Swearth), but I'm definitely still on board for Lost Light.

14. shamanking282

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Honestly, I LOVE how the hint that was perceived as one of the biggest clues to the Roller=Tarn theory is in fact one of the biggest hints that it turns out to be Glitch. Roberts pulled a solid misdirect here. I think the only thing that would have been nice was a tiny bit more characterization of Glitch, not even necessarily something to tie him with Tarn, just something to make people care about him.

15. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

The Knights have always blatantly been an excuse to have a Space Voyage. Them being real or not has always been a possibility.

The thing is if you let them find the Knights you're at the end of the story, or you start a new one with a different quest, so from a writing standpoint there's no reason to find them unless you're 'done' with the story.

16. Optimus Convoy

Optimus Convoy Well-Known Member

I was hoping it'd be Beast Megatron.

17. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    If that was foreshadowing it wasn't particularly good foreshadowing considering that it right there specifies non-sentient machinery with no mention of it eventually effecting living beings and later on he does use it from a distance and, needless to say, it has nothing to do with talking but rather him touching his (glowing) head and signalling to the machinery. More like telekinesis than anything like what Tarn does.

18. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Twas me. And yes I am now contentedly sitting back, putting my feet on the desk and lighting up a cigar.

19. MelficeCyrum

MelficeCyrum Well-Known Member

But it's easy to logically conclude that, given refinement, it would be possible for such a power to effect Cybertronians. Hell, someone in this thread pointed out that the entire "weaponized conversation" is a cover. Likely because it takes time for Tarn/Glitch to turn off a 'living' machine, so the idea that he can 'talk' someone to death terrifies his would-be victims, which perfectly covers for the complexity and time of the process.

Also, almost ALL the foreshadowing that could apply to Roller equally applies to Glitch. Even the whole "if someone like you could be turned", since Glitch IS a part of Orion Pax's posse, his betrayal/conversion would be a blow to Orion. The point is, the fandom fixated on Roller because he was the obvious choice to them. He was a name, he was a face, he was a character people recognized and cared about. So in their eyes, he'd be the obvious choice. That it wasn't him isn't the writer's fault.

In retrospect I'm amazed no-one considered the possibility of Glitch because of his powers. In fact I think not once during any discussion of Tarn's possible identities did anyone even offer up Glitch as an off-handed possibility. Which again, in retrospect, is amusing because he would be a clear choice.

This isn't the writer's fault that the fandom got themselves whipped up into a fervor over a possible choice that turned out to be a red herring because everyone else was almost immediately ignored out of hand.

20. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, but no. The Roller stuff was an obnoxious (possibly the most I've ever seen) red herring. There weren't a couple of hints that Tarn could be Roller, there were giant flashing neon signs. It wasn't a fandom constructed thing, it was a very intentional set up on Roberts' part. Even if Glitch was foreshadowing, we're talking two subtle panels (possibly three if we consider Tarn mention his powers took a while to manifest) as opposed to entire mountains of build-up on Roller's part.