Tarn's Identity Revealed MASSIVE MTMTE #55 SPOILER

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by shadow panther, Jul 26, 2016.

1. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL!!!!!!!! I completely forgot about that until you brought it up!! Whoever that guy was, he's obviously Roberts lurking here!!

Too funny...

2. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Yeah.

Well.......... now that it's out the bag maybe
    Mastermind Creations
    can finally release
    Kultur
    :p .

3. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

Who said that?

4. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I earnestly do not remember. Somebody take credit!

5. robb0429

robb0429 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yknow. If he would have been revealed as Roller, what then? would all the people who are upset with this reveal be happy to find out he was actually who everyone thought he was? No, THAT would be anti-climactic. EVERYONE thought he was Roller. So no, that wouldnt be very good writing, would it? Tarn being someone in the background like Glitch just goes to show that everyone in the fiction was right about Tarn. He really is just a thug with a gun and a nack for torture. He built up a name for himself, and his gang. But in the end, they started out as just people. normal, everyday people. Except Glitch, he was an outlier. But yknow what I mean. I for one am satisfied with all this. Was this arc a tad rushed? maybe. That's a hell of a thing for Megatron to pull out of his ass, but it was backed up enough for me to give it a pass.

Basically, I'd MUCH rather have the twist that Tarn ISN't Roller rather than him being unmasked and oh look! It's who everyone thought it was! Check. I for one did a "wait, what" when I saw Roller.

6. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    If that's all your reading out of the book I think you're missing out on a lot. The Decepticons are nowhere near "safely neutered" if there are "pockets of extremists."

7. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

You bring up a valid point. If it WAS Roller, what would readers think? "Oh, it was him. Damn. That's sad."

I mean, sure, it'd be more sad than finding out it's Glitch, the end result would more or less be the same. His identity as Roller would be gone, and he'd die as Tarn, with Megatron reminding him his work was for nothing. Just like Glitch's fate

8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Tarn's identity was prolonged so much that it'd have been anticlimactic no matter what. Roller would've been too obvious, anyone else would've been a total ass-pull.

9. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

You'd probably remember the DJD as actually having something other than being a roving band of delusional Decepticon fanboys going for them.

My disappointment in all this is I preferred that there was a tragic angle to it rather than taking the whole thing at face value-- the face value problem is what made the DJD characters so uninteresting. The reason it doesn't work for Glitch is because using him really is just as good as making up a random name.

10. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    (small off topic)
    LOL, yes, the place where if one reasonably criticized a direction completely unrelated to Chromedome/Rewind they were accused of being a homophobe and then subject to crazed diatribes about political correctness or essays insulting various religions.

This place is an *oasis* compared to there. *Less* uptight?!? =). To anyone reading this and not liking this forum because of the polarized back and forth...it could be worse. Much much worse. =D

11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's more to writing than twists, M. Night. :cool: 

PS to everyone there are a crapload of homophobes et al on this board that I have blocked so please do not read my relative silence as tacit acceptance.

12. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

Some thing like this happend in Naruto, where the mysterious masked Villain ended up being the most obvious answer, and it wasn't all that great

13. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    But comparing the writing of Naruto to MTMTE?? Mm.....

14. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doesnt bother me that its not Roller but it would be better if he was some known character..How did Megatron destroyed the DJD so easily?

15. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Well-Known Member

He controlled the Anti-matter to rip through the bodies of the DJD members.

16. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    Looking at it, it's not that big an ass-pull as most are making it out to be.

Was it a bit too subtle? Probably. But there's enough evidence to speculate that Tarn was
    Glitch

Also, the solicit said "The four words that gave the Decepticons their name":
    You are being deceived

Tarn being able to kill bots just by talking is pretty similar to Glitch turning machines off just by touch.

17. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    The opposite of matter flew out of his eyes and annihilated their very being. He became Darkseid inside that bubble.

18. Incendor

Incendor I'm afraid we have to use math

I've realised something.

I was so caught up in the hype of speculation that Roller was Tarn that I actually forgot the fact that I liked Roller as a character.

And now Tarn's revealed as Glitch?*

I'm actually pretty damn happy that he's not Roller, and that Roller's still alive.

Gonna make for a hell of a reunion for Optimus if or when they reunite.

And also...

If Necroworld isn't destroyed somehow... The characters can use it to "reform" Cybertron to back what it used to be!

*(You're all assuming that Glitch is the outlier Glitch, but what if it's someone else named Glitch??? Possible.)

19. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First of all much respect for Alex Milne. He just dropped by and offered some inside information. No interfering with customers having a discussion about the book. It's nice to see that there are still professionals in the comics world instead of cry babies that can't handle criticism or ignore the crazies.

What an incredible let down, not just reveal, but the whole damn issue and arc. There was so much poor story telling on fundamental levels. I didn't feel like I was reading a story as much as vehicle to tie up some plot points and set the stage for the next story. What was accomplished with Megatron could of been done in 2 issues. I also wonder if Roberts lost a bet about how many ass pull science-y type things he could jam into an arc.

20. MelficeCyrum

MelficeCyrum Well-Known Member

I dunno. Roller was way too obvious, and only in Elegant Chaos was there anything that lent weight to the 'Tarn = Roller' theory. Otherwise, besides the straw (which isn't even unique to Roller) there wasn't much (in my eyes) connecting the two.

I think, and this is just my two cents, that the reveal was hyped up by the fandom, but for JRo, the reveal wasn't meant to be anything special, or awesome, or shocking. I believe he even said it on his Twitter: "Tarn is Tarn is Tarn" or something to that effect. And that's basically what happened. Tarn turned out to be a person who didn't really figure much into the grand scheme of things, and he died the same way, not really figuring into the grand scheme of things.

What bugs me more is this "Megatron is super genius-level planner with almost Captain Aizen/Light Yagami-style BS. Really? He planned to have his trial moved to Luna 2? So did he plan for Starscream to paint him as a lunatic? Did he plant for those 'cons to try and rescue him? Did he know that Starscream would go on-and-on and give him an opening to abuse a really old legal loophole?

Is Ravage seriously implying that a bunch of stuff Megatron did was simply for the purposes of planning for some eventual encounter with the DJD where he'd kill them all??

That's really lazy writing IMO, to connect the dots and play it off as somehow Megatron just 'being THAT good'.