Tarn's Identity Revealed MASSIVE MTMTE #55 SPOILER

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by omegafix, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

That's how I feel about the whole Tarn issue. I think what he did as Tarn mattered more then who he was before. I think fans built up the importance of his previous identity. And in the context of the story, it was satisfying that Tarn was a nobody fanboy.

When I read the panels where Megs "unmasks" the DJD, the feeling I got was "I'm gonna remove your fake, puffed up identities and reveal the sniveling nobodies that you really are."

2. Geox82

Geox82 Well-Known Member

Because I clearly have nothing better to do today, I shall engage this notorious troll.

To start, you claim to be a speaker of truth, but you seem to never distinguish between objective truth and subjective truth. Objective Truth: you come to these boards to express your dissatisfaction with MTMTE and that certain interpersonal relationships don't belong in TF fiction. Subjective Truth: That you consider this story and MTMTE in general to be shit and the notion that the previously mentioned interpersonal relationships don't belong in TF Fiction.

I hope you can detect the difference there - but if you cannot, let me help you - subjective truth can go by another more common term: Opinion.

You are free to have your opinion, you are free to express your opinion, but it is not (thankfully), universal truth. That it is not a universal truism is proven in that myself and clearly many others enjoyed this issue and by and large, the 54 issues that preceded.

Further more, if you want to speak about something that is actually Objectively True - it is that Antimatter is something that does exist, is highly unstable, and the actual scientific term for what happens when antimatter interacts with normal matter is "annihilation". So you can complain all you want about the science applied and how Megatron was not "annihilated" as antimatter poured from his eyes, but hand-waving the results of the extremely powerful DJD being destroyed by antimatter as being the "power of love" is not just just incorrect, but is downright ignorant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter

You appear to be making many assumption about the readership here - and again, it just seems to be misplaced. A large proportion of fiction (comic book or not) results with good triumphing over evil. The desire for that result is not exclusive to those who were previously victimized by those they deemed evil in their own life - but you seem to imply that is the only segment of society that would find joy in this result.

I wholeheartedly disagree - most walks of life, including criminal elements, like for their escapist fiction to lead to "happy-ish" endings. I can see the value in stories that avoid that like "Se7en" or the "The Usual Suspects" - but by and large, people escape into fiction to see the good guys win, justice served, revenge fulfilled, etc - and it has nothing to do with a past history of victimization. Again, you try to position your opinions as universal truth and these opinions simply do not pass muster.

Homo-phobia portion aside, I can understand the desire to see Megatron fall back into his old ways, but that is not the direction this story is going, for now, this story is about finding redemption for the 1 person who spoke out against injustice, and became an even worse monster than what he spoke out against to conquer that injustice. I could respect your opinion that it is not a story you personally care for, but then I would expect the same courtesy shown to those who do care for and enjoy the story as it is told. As many have stated, if this is not a story you enjoy, and if portions of it make you feel uncomfortable or insecure - why do you continue to follow the story? Wouldn't your energy that you clearly overflow with be better suited to a story that fits your tastes and sensibilities?

Lastly, I do not believe that your post script absolves you from potential retribution from the mods - you clearly include in your rant that you wish Megatron had shot Chromedome and Rewind - your posting history and selection of those two characters indicates that you want those characters dead because of their perceived "orientation" (even though they are friggin robots!). Extrapolating that to a real world opinion, would you advocate the cannon blasting of a similar real world couple? If so, that type of hate speech has absolutely no place in either these boards OR civilized society in general. Ironic that you you are not a fan of Megatron's redemption - because like him, you are finding yourself on the wrong side of history.

3. Large

Large Currently blablabla

News Credits:
    Yes, of course. In fact, Rodimus pretty much told him that right at the start (#28), and he spent the year thinking how much that is true and how he can try to make finaly something.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I still don't think you can pin this on the fans. The fans only have what the books gave them, and you can't introduce a masked character and say conclusively that he used to be someone and not have people assume that's a big part of his character.

That's like saying "Rodimus has a dark secret that he doesn't want anyone to know about" and two years later afetr endless speculation the secret turns out he picks his nose or something. If the reveal isn't that important, don't sit on it for so long.

I think it all ties back to the DJD being far, far too drawn out. They've literally been built up for years, and I couldn't tell you five things about them. They're incredibly one-note, incredibly underdeveloped, and the only possible story there was to their leader turns out to be false. People say Tarn's past isn't as important as who he is now, but who he is now is basically a dragon to fight. A typical, ludicrously over-powered pompous villain with hardly a facet across his entire "character." You can't just make him a Megatron fanboy, you've got to do something with it.

Dude, don't. If you have an issue with him, just report him and move on. Otherwise, this -> :trolls:  exists for a reason.

5. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

The way the DJD died was kind of a let down for me because it was done via a deus ex machina (seriously, Megs and Shockwave tried for four million years to make this work and couldn't and Megs figures it out in the last year?), as was the part where Megatron cheated death. Tarn was an awesome character, and I think he would have been more awesome had he been Terminus or Roller or remained enigmatic but whatever.

Overall, my major feeling was that this arc has been a let down in large part because of Roberts, who seems to have been the victim of his own success. I think he has great world building moments (like Cybertron being forged from inside the Necrobot's world), but for the most part I think his editors need to do him a favor and vet his ideas first, or he perhaps needs to move on to a different book and let someone else take over.

And this conclusion did nothing but raise more questions, like:

If Megs was so brilliant, how did the war go on like it did for as long as it did?

and

Are we really meant to believe Megs' actions were ones of atonement? That's not the way it works; he reaped what he had sown as his own sick creations tried to kill him and he put them down with a deus ex machine; a necessity for survival doesn't make an act of atonement. Megs is still a coward and afraid to die. Nothing he's done in Season 2 has done anything other than prove he really hasn't changed at all, or else he would have either died with Tarn or let Tarn kill him (sorry Ravage, you died under a delusion).

So, final take away, can Roberts or get him a leash and a better editor, and Megs is so far in the red, by himself, he will never get out, nor does he seem to really be making any internal progress towards an actual change of character.

6. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

This completely. People forget that some issues ago that "Tarn is Tarn." What he was under the mask doesn't matter, what he did with it did. He tossed his old identity away because not only was he oppressed by the council like Megatron, but even amonst his peers he felt like he had no part in it. He had an inferiority complex, simple as that. As of #55, the fact that Megatron
    worked up the nerve to remind him of his old self, he fell apart litterally and mentally. Letting him live would be too much because he gave up his individuality "for the sake of 'the cause'", as Glitch died when Megatron killed Sentinel Prime.

7. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Depends on which time loop theories you subscribe to, wether there has to be a start point for the loop or if it's predestined.

Example: in terminator either the time loop of John sending Kyle back is predestined or there is an unaltered timeline where a different John Connor was fathered by someone other than Kyle Reese and once Kyle gets sent back in time he supplants and takes the original fathers place explaining why the John Kyle knows is a badass and the John in 2 and 3 is extremely whining. They're actually different people

8. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

Seeing Tarn revealed as Glitch honestly reminded me a lot of the Amon/Noatak reveal at the end of Book 1 of Legend of Korra. The ominous, unbeatable masked villain turns out to be just some random dude who hadn't been alluded to at all.

9. Large

Large Currently blablabla

News Credits:
    I say Tarn is Black Goku.

10. Tristich

Tristich Planeteer

The table flip, though.

11. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

Now comes the interesting part.

What does Terminus think of the bot Megatron has become?

Good point.

12. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

If we're assuming Overlord knew about the Galactic Council's
    bomb
    , him retreating makes waaaay more sense. Overlord still wanted Megatron dead, he just didn't want to die in the process. Plus, as a bonus, he knew the DJD was going down too, it seems like he showed up just to make sure they stuck around long enough to all die. If he didn't know about the
    bomb
    , then his actions were short-sighted and out of character (though ultimately good for his health).

After reading the issue, I still think its stupid that Tarn is
    Glitch
    because of all of the clues hinting him as being Roller. Again, it's like if in A Song of Ice and Fire R+L=J had turned out to be Hodor+Horse=J, I mean sure we've seen those characters together and it's really surprising but it ultimately ruins an important part of the story world's history by replacing it with meaningless fuckery and making those "hints" a complete waste of words.

Why even bother putting all of the hints and design cue similarities in there at all if it doesn't add to the story in the slightest? Roller being Tarn is what made him interesting as a character, and vise versa. I mean, his face even looks like Roller's once revealed, it only barely resembles
    Glitch's
    helmet without even bothering to do the whole central eye thing. I retroactively don't give a fuck about the DJD in the slightest. The only way Roberts can redeem this weird change is if the character change had something to do with the time-travel weirdness at the end where
    Roller and friends
    showed up. Overall, a disappointing end to a really disappointing season.

13. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Spotlight: Glitch, please?

14. Incendor

Incendor I'm afraid we have to use math

Some things aren't adding up.

Why doesn't he use his electromagnetic ability if he's glitch (although I suspect the spark manipulation thing he does with his voice could have something to do with that)

I'm not going to fully believe this "spoiler" until I actually read the issue myself. It just seems too farfetched.

15. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I interpreted that as Cybertron being custom built and didn't even think about other possibilities, but I'm being influenced a lot by Eugenesis. And that's by far the biggest reveal this issue. And for the Necrobot to know what "organics in pods" look like (even if it turned out not to be the case), there's still a strong chance of a link between him and the other guys. Or maybe the other guys also have Cybertronians in pods?

Elegant Chaos worked on Predestination Paradox rules so yes, that's my read; by taking them, he made them MIA. Things were always as they were.

16. Geox82

Geox82 Well-Known Member

In terms of the "Cybertron mold" I don't think Rungs conclusion is correct, I agree with the idea that it is a mold created to make replica's of cybertron. Perhaps they will take the knights of cybertron story into a dark place and make it like the Marvel G2 "Hub" a linked network of multiple "Cybertrons" populated by an offshoot of Cybertronians created by the Knights.

17. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    I'm sure Megatron will tell him everything that has happened. It might even be cathartic for him—to help him further see how he became so lost. Who knows. But I'm sure Megatron is overcome with happiness seeing his old friend again.

18. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    He's still the best we have right now, along with Nick Roche.

19. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    Read the issue first.....

20. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    The more I think of it, the more bullshit this entire arc was.

What was the point of Overlord coming back at all if he was just going to shrug and walk away?

What was the point of Dezarus and his guys other than to provide a little bit of cannon fodder? He just wandered off, no consequences, basically because plot demanded the cannon fodder leave.

What was the point of Drift and Ratchet having their big damn hero moment if they weren't ultimately going to do anything else? Ratchet didn't even save either of the two people who died on his operating table!

What was the point of killing Skids? What did those super powers he sacrificed himself to give actually do to advance the plot?

If the whole point was that Tarn was a nobody, why did Megatron bother listing all their names when they were also all nobodies?

Basically this entire 6 odd issue arc was a lot of wasted space and time fillers with no real narrative reasons other than the stretch it out. You could have done the same thing a lot better in half the time.

Ugh. It's so frustrating. I miss the old MTMTE that never felt like a waste. Here I literally feel like this half of the season has been narratively wasted on bullpockey.