Target stocking and shipping question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jericho, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been to two Targets in my area once a week for the last three weeks and their TF/SW/GI Joe pegs are EMPTY. I asked someone yesterday about it and she said a toy reset is coming in August and they have nothing in the back. Oddly enough TRU is overflowing with new GI Joe, SW and both Generations and Hunt for Decepticons.

Any idea why Target is so far behind?

2. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    The general release date for the new stuff was always August so I think we're just lucky that TRU was able to release them earlier. That said, it seems completely stupid to me for Target to go a full month or more with almost zero shelf presence for two of their major brands - Star Wars and Transformers. That's how the Targets are around here. But I guess if they don't have the stock they don't have the stock.

3. Nightwing24

Nightwing24 00 Agent

News Credits:
    Well I work at a target so Ivan give ya the answer. Usually around June all our toys become PTM short for pre transitional merchandise. Anyway this means that nothing new gets put out except for on ad stuff and movie related toys. So come august target has it's holiday reset when the whole toy area gets rearranged with new products and restocks.

4. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Huh, thanks for the info. However it seems like a very poor move on Target's part to sit a full month. Guess I'll be buying SS at TRU today.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no loss for me.
    the closest Target is 25 miles or so away.

and usually the stuff i want from target collects virtual dust on online shelves at the website.
    so i get better deals that way from time to time.

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I have a conspiracy theory, that because Target and Walmart broke the street date for ROTF last year, they are not getting their shipments from Hasbro as early as TRU. Just my own little theory though. But if you have product in the warehouse it won't make you money sitting there, so who knows.

On a side note though, it is nice to see a toy store get first dibs on this stuff and take some money away from the bigger chains. Not that I hate Walmart ( I love shopping there ), There is just a nice different feel about buying toys at a toy store.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  7. shadowtron

shadowtron Decepticon

Well, this is nothing new for my local target (Niles, Ohio). I cant even tell you the last time Ive bought any toy from there. The action figure pegs set empty for weeks on end, then when they do get filled, within a day or two they are empty again. The cycle starts all over.

8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is what I was thinking, that Target is waiting to stock the PCC, HFTD and Generations to get ready for the Christmas shopping season.

9. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't necessarily believe them when they say they have nothing in the back. My Target has already gotten the PCC 5-packs and when I go to work tomorrow night I expect to find more new stuff there. The just won't put any of it out until the reset. And yes, it is immensely stupid and is costing them thousands of dollars in sales.

10. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is still what I am wondering, I mean sales to kids in areas without a TRU will not be affected, unless the parents got them offline.

But, in areas where the main chains and TRU are together, unless the other stores end up getting the newer waves in and never get the first waves, it is a no brainer that parents aren't going to go buy the same exact thing again at another store.

I still say TRU made some kind of deal, I know someone said "there a speciality store and that's why" but usually there is maybe a week or 2 gap but this has been much longer.

11. tomigaoka

tomigaoka Well-Known Member

Dont tell me that when Target and Walmart release their TF figs on the shelf, they dont have restocks of those THRUST and DRIFT???

12. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

13. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

Actually when a department is on mpeg and the ncf stuff is depleted then any of the new stuff for the august reset CAN be put out if the instock team is properly trained, and the new stuff IS in the backroom in most targets.

most instock teams suck so they just leave it empty and lose sales turning the transition period.

(not my store naturally, but yeah)

14. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    target near me...has ROTF bludgeon and recon ironhide...nothing else..i got the last ROTF brawn today...very sad...nothing new for almost 3 months.