Tansformers vs G.I Joe #1 Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TheSpartanD, Jul 23, 2014.

1. TheSpartanD

TheSpartanD Minicon Orphanage Owner

I don't have this issue yet but I thought that we should create a thread to discuss this. (I will edit with my own review when I have read it)

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can't wait for this to become a hundred-page flamewar about the art. I'll just say that I enjoyed the hell out of it and I have no interest in anyone foaming at the mouth to tell me how wrong that is.

My friend Max has a take here: Your Deadshirt New Comics Shopping List for: July 23rd, 2014 | Deadshirt

I love the central idea presented of the Transformers being almost too large and powerful to even imagine, but they are STILL caught wrong-footed by the utter bugfuck craziness of GIJoe and have to regroup. Also loving the creator commentary, that confirms the little bait-and-switch with Ravage was deliberate.

And personally I'm enjoying that, like most Joe-TF crossovers, anyone can and will die. Also waiting on fan tears and rage from that, but considering Bumblebee's fate in issue #0 I hope no one's that surprised. Barber and Scioli actually do a marvelous job ensuring even hi-then-die characters get a little establishing character vignette.

3. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    It seems like the Joes there going to attack the Autobots, I always hate it when they attack the wrong side.

4. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The really key element of this, I think, is the fact that Scioli isn't simply drawing things like Kirby, or emulating Kirby's way of writing narration or dialogue - because to just COPY Kirby is to do Kirby the greatest disservice, and to misunderstand the greatest quality of his work. Kirby was all about imagination, a new idea with every turn of the page - while he was an artist of incredible kinetic dynamism, he wasn't necessarily the greatest figure artist of all time, but he was an incredible idea machine. THAT's the real quality Scioli's bringing to this, I think. There's a real sensation of the franchises being stripped down and started fresh again - where past G.I. Joe/TF crossovers have had fun doing whatever they liked with old concepts (What if TFs turned into Joe vehicles? What if Cobra-La made Pretenders?), this gives us off the wall ideas like Soundwave using his chest as a prison cell - a concept right out of a kid's playtime that feels like something you would come up with if you took the Soundwave toy and stripped it of context - or the Baroness as the Serpentor-styled leader of a Cobra. It truly strives to not be "Transformers and G.I. Joe in a retro style", but to be what a comic that had actually been produced in the 60s would have been like in every regard - which is something that goes WAY beyond just the art, or the nature of the prose. It's not quite the wham-bam escapade of issue #0, with a much more coherent longer-form story emerging (that nonetheless manages to essentially tell a complete adventure in this one comic, furthering that Silver Age feel), but... GOD. I could go on. It just succeeds on every level.

5. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Such a fantastic issue. The re-imagining of Joseph Colton as a space laser-building guru is just great. I'm not too sure that Starscream, Soundwave, and Shockwave are going to actually stay dead (or Bumblebee for that matter), but we'll see. And congrats to the person in the preview thread who called the Serpentor-like person being the Baroness!

Bring on the next installment!

6. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    When Cobra come to Cybertron to fight the Joes, I want an Autobot to exclaim "Their war! Our world!"

7. MegaRoadbuster

MegaRoadbuster Well-Known Member

Just about the most fun I've had reading a comic in a while. I love me some MTMTE, but I've been hyped for this since last year. Just the idea of a Transformers vs GI JOE comic done in a 60's Kirby/Staranko/ Ditko style was just to much to resist. It fit so well, and allowed for the two franchises to pretty much let loose and be, in what in essense they are. Which is Robots and army man fighting each other.

Issue 1 is the intro issue. In truth if you want to tell how good a comic is, you have to atleast read the first 3 issues. So I can't sit here and say this was the best comic of all time. However, this comic does what its suppose to just about PERFECTLY.

Not only does it set up the conflict between the TF, GIJOE, and Cobra, it does so effortlessly to allow the new reader to jump in no questions asked. The issue itself is a single story for the most part. It has a lot that will carry over, but it very much is it's own beast.

Great panels. That Cobra ship was Awesome. Ravage I think had the best line of the comic, "I offer you peace, and you run me over with your car."

I also liked that Soundwave seems almost interested in peaceful solutions, and I also like that apparently Shockwave may be his brother. Little changes and twist like that are going to make this comic so much fun to enjoy.

and I wouldn't spend to much time on death in this comic. I highly doubt Soundwave is dead, and I wouldn't count out Cobra Commanders return as well.

Great comic book. It almost made me feel like these two franchises were brand new to me, and haven't been around for 30 years.

8. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because of space issues, I have mostly given up on collecting comics. I still read them, but on my kindle. This book I HAD to have a physical copy of...

9. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree that this is a book that at the very least deserves to be viewed either in print or on a screen/tablet of a size greater than or equal to a comic. Trying to read it on a smaller Kindle or iPad or (God forbid) a cell phone would pretty much ruin all of those splash pages.

I actually hope it does well enough and stay awesome enough that in a couple years IDW can release deluxe oversized hardbacks.

10. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Read this on my IPad, but yeah it screams to be read in print on paper.

So I'm making a special trip to the comic store right now to try and grab one.

-ZacWilliam, it really does capture the feel of both franchises being new and capable of going anywhere soooo well. Such a fun book! :) 

11. Goldimus Prime

Goldimus Prime Veteran

It's so good!

I've never been too G I Joe crazy, so the subtlety of the changes to their roster/history was initially lost on me. Then there's the creator commentary section at the back of the mag, describing just what was changed and the motivations behind it. This book is being crafted with deep enthusiasm for the material, and it rubs off on the reader.

The robot designs really click with me. I'm not a fan of the really kinetic and complex look that the franchise embraces nowadays. I understand its neccissary for the brand to innovate and that's the direction it's currently taken. Tom Scioli's drawings emulate nicely the fluid blockiness of the eighties transformers. The robots look monolithic, especially in scale with the human armies.

I also love how (as one poster above mentioned) the book really feels like he took the toys in hand and invented new abilities/plot devices based on what he saw. Soundwave's chest prison was the best example-- but also we've now twice seen Starscream peek his robot head out in vehicle mode for a better view.

I'm really psyched for issue two!

12. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This series is weird.

13. Wattro

Wattro Member

Couldn't agree more. This was great. Thought after first couple pages it would be drab but totally grew on me. Some of the speech bubbles were incorrect on my comixology version.

14. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are you talking about the laser guy's bubble while they are trapped in Soundwave and Shipwreck's bubble after the giant space laser went off? If so, those problems are in the print version as well. I'm not sure if the first is deliberate to show that the gunfire is drowning out his dialogue or an error with image layering, but I'm pretty sure Shipwreck's cut off speech bubble is an error since Flagg's responding to Shipwreck's god comparison. For such a major release, I'm surprised that that error made it to print.

15. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Starscream and Bumblebee bout they fight to Earth and the Decepticon wanted G.I. Joe to surrender to them and all the Joes did was welcome them to Earth.

16. MegaRoadbuster

MegaRoadbuster Well-Known Member

Neither are errors. Both intentional.

Flagg is talking over Shipwreck. I guess it doesn't totally work, but it works if your kinda informed by the cartoon version of Shipwreck.

17. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I must say it's interesting that they've put something together that most of the TF and Joe fanbase seem to be turned off by (I said most, not all; put down the pitchforks, peeps who like this) but folks who are more causal or just outside of either fandom seem to dig better. MY gf loves Kirby and the Joe cartoon (and G1 Transformers); I never showed her this. Wonder what she would think?

I like Scioli enough that I ordered #1, altho' I didn't really care for the FCBD issue. I'll give it one more shot. If it doesn't grab me, tho'... I'm outta here.

18. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looking forward to reading this. It sounds mad as a bag of badgers.

19. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I liked it.

I thought that issue 0 was mind-meltingly appalling at first, until I read the commentary and realised what the intention was.

Now I've had a complete context-flip and am totally enjoying the bonkers storyline and goofy art.

20. Panjumanju

Panjumanju Radio Wizard

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    To me the art is at odds with the subject matter. However, since the subject matter is at odds with telling a serious, heart-felt story in any case, this doesn't have to be a problem. I'd like to see the story get even more serious and grim, in contrast to the art style. Indeed that's often when Kirby was at it's best, and that seems to be the inspiration, here.

//Panjumanju