Customs: Tamiya paint question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Hyoumaru, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

So recently I got Siege Springer, and like most figures I started the process of removing the annoying battle damage paint from him. Unfortunately, Springer is one of those Siege figures who has battle damage paint applied directly onto the normal paint, which meant stripping the painted areas in question down and repainting them with my usual Tamiya paint

While I wait for a bottle of dark green paint to be delivered, I figured I'd at least go about trying to handle the yellow parts on him. I've hit a snag in painting his shoulders however.

For some reason, Tamiya's yellow paint is always very thin and runny. Doesn't matter how many coats I apply, it just won't cover the corners and keeps building up in ways I don't want. Yellow is literally the ONLY color of Tamiya paint I experience this problem with, whereas my black purple blues reds and grays never have this problem, two or three coats and they're fine, even without primer.

Out of frustration, I ordered a can of white tamiya primer (there's no hobby shops within 100 miles of me that carry anything beyond Testors enamel paint) in the hopes it'll make this task easier. Never used primer before so can only hope it gets the job done.

But I guess my question is what the hell is up with the yellow paint here? Multiple bottles of it in the assumption I just got a bad bottle and it's always the same problem.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  2. Grimwolf100

Grimwolf100 Well-Known Member

tamiya lemon yellow works fine for me but i prime when painting things yellow

3. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    Yellow and white both do that for me.
    Keen to find out a solution because it’s annoying.

For my white though I did an undercoat of Tamiya Silver then the white and it came out looking good

4. Hyoumaru

Got the Primer, primed a spoon to test how the paint works with it rather than risk messing up the shoulder parts again.

2019-07-04 04.54.38.jpg

It doesnt help at all, still too thin and runny and won't adhere to the surface for sufficient coverage. Maybe I should just opt for tamiya spraypaint.

5. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Unless it'd detail painting or paint mixing/blending, I NEVER use yellow from a bottle The only bottled yellow I've ever used that is worth the effort is Vallejo and Citadel. I have yet to use a Tamiya bottle that makes me want to use it again.
    For the best coverage I prefer masking and using a plastic-specific spray paint. Walmart carries this stuff for under $6/can. Haven't had a single issue with coverage since I switched.

6. Hyoumaru

Suppose that's cheaper than ordering a tamiya can, I'll check out wal-mart this weekend, thanks.

Are there any other colors that give you this same problem?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dachande

News Credits:
    It all depends on the plastic I'm trying to cover. Red and green are a pain to cover with lighter colors.

8. Hyoumaru

makes sense

if I could bother you one last time, would you recommend a brand name you use from wal-mart? I have a bad habit of second guessing myself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dachande

News Credits:
    Rustoleum American Accents. Some of them have a banner on the label saying "Bonds to Plastics".

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hyoumaru

Thanks, looking forward to finally being able to put Springer back together.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hyoumaru

Well, tried the Rustoleum spraypaint, and what have we learned Charlie Brown?

Testing it on spoons, Rustoleum works great on plastic, covers entirely with no primer needed.

BUT

If you use it on plastic that's already been primed, as I had done with Springer's shoulders before learning bottled paint just wouldn't work, then it won't work half as well and requires multiple coats, and I ended up botching this pretty hard.

Least I know now.

12. Dachande

News Credits:
    I can honestly say that never happened to me when using that spray paint. It doesn't like being applied to painted parts, which is why you generally strip factory paint off, but it works on bare plastic and primer.
    What kind of primer did you use?

13. Hyoumaru

Tamiya gray primer

I tested the yellow Rustoleum on plastic spoons, one with the primer and one without. The one without primer coated smooth and clean, while the one with primer turned out sickly looking and lumpy.