Takaratomymall exclusive MP-11SW Skywarp

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Gaokaiser, Jul 8, 2016.

1. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's the only game in town for G1 MP seekers. Now that 3P is outshining official, I suspect several official pieces will be getting replaced in lots of collections.

2. Ragnar

Ragnar Fun with G1

Ebay:
    I prefer official and not KO or TP, so ordering TT MP Skywarp is important to me to go along with Starscream and Thundercracker, even if the price is $100 more than I want to pay. Just wish there was an option to order him without the coin to save a few $.

I'm just worried that by the time I have all six of the G1 seekers that there will be a new/improved official seeker mold.

3. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

BBTS has their own shipping cost so places like TCP, TD, and (disregarding the various shenanigans) TFS would have the best deal (although there's Captured Prey which see,s to go five dollars cheaper than everywhere else as well.)
    But thanks for the Tenso/shipping figure. I recall when I got Ramjet and Thindercracker I saved overall but broke even on Ramjet (the entirety of the savings were from Thundercracker. At this point it seems like The US retailers have come down in price to what shipping from Japan has come up to.
    Not to be the advocate of KOs but in this case the person in question didn't manage to obtain one when it was out. Depending on where you were the Hasbro release was either easy to get or disappeared within an hour or two of being on the shelf up until they raised the price and out a 1 per customer limit.
    The person originally quoted did say they were willing to buy official if Hasbro put the out so I don't feel we're being very fair here.
    I quite honestly found myself in the same boat with Striker Optimus from DOTM. By the time I found out about it it was after the fact commanding a $200 to $300 price tag and there was no Hasbro version to speak of (still isn't). While far from my first choice KO felt a reasonable option under the circumstances.

4. Prowl 76

Prowl 76 Well-Known Member

Their price is the effectively the same as what I'd pay at AE, but I always get nailed on duties / taxes on items from BBTS coming into Canada.

5. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    For a start, up until fairly recently, toys have tended to be cheaper in the US than most other markets. But i'd suggest it goes beyond that.

The bottom line as to why there has been no Hasbro version of MP11SW is probably because Takara will not allow it.

They don't have the same economies of scale as Hasbro. If they ok a Hasbro version,it would undercut demand for MP11SW and eat into their profits.

This is probably also why the Hasbro versions of MP10 and Masterpiece Soundwave were never properly reissued... there is definitely some demand there, but Takara will not allow it because the Masterpiece line is their cash cow.

As for why they charge a premium for Seekers... best thing i can think of is that they see them as somehow equivalent to Macross toys.

6. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Takara and Hasbro can freely release whatever they want within their own markets. It's definitely not Takara preventing Hasbro. Don't forget that up until recently TakaraTomy hadn't reissued their MP10 within Japan either so that outs Hasbro and Takara in the same place. TakaraTomy didn't prevent Hasbro from doing their own Thundercracker long before they did an MP11 one themselves.
    I don't know why it is Hasbro doesn't make the domestic MP line bigger than it is but it's not Takara that's the reason. They've shown they can do their own "rereleases" as they did with the redecoed MP1 and more recently with Grimlock.

7. monish

monish Not a Negatron!

News Credits:
    Yeah I hear you if you're close to the border go across and pickup bbts charges about 5$ to ship within the US. If you buy at AE you're looking at a higher shipping cost. I'd say approx 30-50$ cad assuming ems or sal

8. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member

They can charge all the premium they want.. but unless they make a seeker with modern construction to go with the current figures I am not buying their 10 year old design figures for $200.. They have more in common with MP01 then anything current. *sigh*

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  10. rko7

rko7 Active Member

Preorder went quickly at Toy Dojo,didn't even have time to post the link before it was out of stock.

11. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    W/O wanting to turn it into an argument. i am wondering if you're in a position to be definite about the definite?

I am certainly not in a position to be definite about my suggestion...but there's been enough instances of missed (re)releases and gaps on Hasbro versions of Masterpieces, that i suspect there is some sort of agreement between the two.

Are Masterpiece molds not largely Takara's work? Do Hasbro and Takara jointly own the designs? Or do TT essentially license them to Hasbro?

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I feel like people forget to realize that the reason the price is so high is no doubt because its a limited release.

[but yeah...no way am i paying that much for that mold. again... and again.. :p  ]

13. Prowl 76

Prowl 76 Well-Known Member

Thanks man. I'm in Toronto, so it's not quite worth the 1.5 hr drive to Buffalo. Although maybe I can see if my sis down in Florida can start stockpiling my orders for me lol.

I wish BBTS offered some cheaper alternatives to international shipping. FedEx International is always steep. With shipping and taxes/duties, it adds about $90 to an order like this... hence why I go Japanese when I can.

14. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Still thanking my lucky stars that I picked up Skywarp for only 165.99 total, last year.

15. Ragnar

Ragnar Fun with G1

Ebay:
    I wish I was paying attention when you were...

Although, I didn't really get fully into MP's until after BotCon 2015, so even $165.99 would've probably seemed impossibly steep to me at the time...

16. merphul

merphul Well-Known Member

I "suspect" that it's because Hasbro doesn't see the masterpiece line as a serious driver of their bottom line so don't put a lot of thought/resources into "building" that brand. And I really can't blame them, they're moving more and more resources into the media like cartoons and the movies and using those to drive volume sales of cheaper items than relying on collectors to buy G1 nostalgia toys. It'll be interesting to see how they parley the Hungry Hungry Hippo and Monopoloy movies into products.

I don't think anything has been clearly defined, but the design work for MP's seems to be done solely by TT. That being said, TT and Hasbro seem to collaborate and agree on the production parameters of the overall designs such as parts counts so they can estimate long term production costs for releases in both their markets. We've seen TT and Hasbro share designers/designs on pretty much every other line, so even though Hasbro doesn't provide designers for MP's, they may compensate TT in other ways such as through funds or providing designs worked on largely by Hasbro US designers for use by TT.

Of course this is all conjecture, but what drove this home for me was Hasui's work on CW Devs. He was following the design parameters that TT/Hasbro must have mutually agreed on. But then he took some of his extra ideas to Yuki who seems to have turned around and got the powers that be to ok the extra costs for elbows and guns. Hasui knew that he was working on a toy that would eventually hit both markets and needed to work to a playbook that met the budget targets of both companies (but then later shook a bit more out of TT). It wouldn't shock me if the MP line worked on the same principle from a designer perspective, where TT/Hasbro agree upon a set of parameters and TT executes on that agreement.

17. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked this up a year or so ago for less than $200 during the original run but I'm tempted to grab the lower priced, retooled, accessory-rich, BBQ version.

18. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very true about many of the 3P figures hitting eBay upon the release of an official. However there are still a lot of fans who feel they're happy with the 3P offering, so no need for official. All we have to say is Takara should have made it better, well better to one person maybe worse to another. Some fans want styled like the cartoon, others want a figure styled after the toy and others the comics. Which version should Takara do? No matter what you're going to have fans who are disappointed.

It's hard for Takara to keep up, against multiple small companies making different characters.

The problem with the "Takara isn't making X figure, so I'm going to buy 3P" is. There are hundreds of characters, Takara can't release everyone's favorite character. We could have 4 fans, each fan wants a different character (Skids, Broadside, Hoist, Runamuck) If Takara releases Skids, then the other fans feel slighted, then in comes 3 different 3P companies each one doing one of those 4 characters, so now everyone is happy...except Takara, who has potentially lost sales of those characters should they ever get released.

It's not that Takara isn't making the characters fans want, it's that the fans are impatient, waiting for Takara to release that character.

Maybe I just missed them but which 3P MP Starscream outshined the Takara? Or are you saying that some 3P MP's are outshining the official?

That's the thing about toy collecting, if you missed a figure, you'll have to pay eBay prices in order to get it. We're all going to miss toy releases, due to lack of funds, can't find it, changed our mind about wanting it. Every toy can't remain in production forever to allow every person who wants one to be able to get it, at the price they want to pay.

I think you're right a lot of people forget, that Ramjet, Skywarp, Thrust aren't the typical MP releases, they're exclusives, which means more money.

19. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really need to start going there first once I see the email from BBTS, saving on shipping cost definitely adds up ugh :p 

20. monish

monish Not a Negatron!

News Credits:
    bbts airmail shipping isnt bad, even if they mark it as a gift CBSA will get you because they mark full value on the box. Most japanese retailers mark down the price and lie whats in the package thats why you wont get hit. Only HLJ marks full price but because its in Yen most CBSA agents wont bother doing the conversion depending on how many packages they have to clear.