TakaraTomy Transformers x Optimus Prime featuring Original Playstation

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by DukeFett, Mar 4, 2015.

1. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    So I personally love both of these guys just for what they're trying to do. I mean they are really really great looking in console mode, down to all the connections, the buttons are pressable on the controllers. I love that they come with cartridges/CDs too. I love video games, so I'm obviously completely partial to these guys. Even the packaging on these guys is great.

As Transformers they're not the best though. Mega Drive Megatron has the worst feet of any TF I've handled recently. Optimus Prime in bot mode is better than MM in my opinion. They are both pretty difficult to get into alt mode and tab in properly. I think they're a little expensive, even with the importing discount, but I can't complain. These are things I never thought would happen.

Here's a link to my whole Imgur Gallery

Here's some highlights:

I think he's got a great head sculpt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scales well with G1 Soundwave
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I posted this gallery on Reddit. You wouldn't believe the amount of people complaining that he didn't transform into a completely working Playstation with all the electronics.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  2. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    mine is paid for via hlj but i haven't shipped it yet - waiting for star saber and a few other items before i give the green light, but i'm hoping prime is better than megs.

3. DukeFett

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm sure Takara tried, it's not like it wasn't obvious to everyone that the SNES should be Optimus Prime but people have only speculated that Nintendo didn't want to license.

I'm going to post my comments in another comment, but you know the instructions are behind the cardboard in the box right?

4. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    whoa, i didn't know the cd cover opens up like that! does it come with a faux cd too?

5. DukeFett

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, you can see in one of the shots, it's a faux Hot Shots golf, and it also comes with another disc that's a faux Playstation Club demo disc. One cool little detail was that they made the bottom of the discs black just like the real games.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Are the discs plastic or just cardboard?

7. timesflowing44

timesflowing44 Well-Known Member

thanks for your great input and review man! I didnt see the instructions so Ill have to check again, the stomach flu makes you a little less able to notice those sorts of things.... good stuff good pix thnx!

8. DukeFett

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    They're papery but they're glossed with plastic, so they look pretty decent.

No problem! The instructions and the faux discs should definitely be behind the starfield cardboard in the box. I hope it makes the transformation a little easier, but I still had to push and fiddle for several minutes to get things to look decent.

9. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

I am still on the fence regarding Genesis Megatron. In a way I'm glad I waited for that repaint...but at $120 plus shipping, it's pretty pricey. I'd just leave them in console mode for the most part anyway. Prime looks great as a PS1, but honestly looks like a Prime head tacked onto a random bot body.

My preference would have been Prime to be a Nintendo console...preferably a SNES or something time-relative to the Mega Drive. I mean, if they're going to tug at nostalgia strings, why not go with something a bit older than the Playstation? Although...it is almost 20, yikes!

These are the only novelty bots I'd consider. The Mega Drive one is already sold out on TFSource, so somebody is buying them. Between upcoming MPs and fighting the urge to collect CW figs, the cost for either of these novelties is prohibitive.

10. DukeFett

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I got Prime and Megs from Amiami and Anime Export respectively. So with shipping they were about $80-90, which is a lot more palatable than $120, but still expensive for what you're getting.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  12. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I opened mine up today; I actually find it a bit disappointing for the following:

- Megs has balance issues due to tiny feet and the cannon that plugs into the arm throwing off its balance. Optimus does not have any weapon whatsoever, yet still has small feet with loose ankle joints, so he's not something that balances any easier out of the box. At least looseness can be fixed via nail polish, but I actually had more trouble keeping Prime upright out of the box than I did Megs
    - No weapon whatsoever; the controller just plugs into the arms
    - The chest doesn't appear to peg in anywhere, so when I pick it up by the chest, the front part slides right up. There are pegs on each side of the shoulder piece (the part Prime's head pops through in 'bot mode) that would indicate it could've pegged into something in the shoulders for a sturdier connection...but there are no slots to peg them into.

It's still a fun novelty item, like Megs. I wonder, given the way you can connect the cord from one half of the controller back into Prime's body, if this would've been a better fit for Shockwave, with Prime saved for a Super Nintendo or other game system.

13. Bumblebee78

Bumblebee78 Well-Known Member

You can flip the L1/L2/R1/R2 triggers and they form little blasters

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Takara tries their hand at a Transformer that turns into a game console again, this time with a Playstation that turns into Optimus Prime. Megadrive Megatron had his problems, so one would assume Playstation Optimus Prime would turn out much better. Right? Well, turns out that unlike Megatron, it doesn't look like Sentinel had anything to do with this. Their name isn't anywhere on the box or instructions.

[​IMG]

Optimus, Like Megatron, is a voyager-sized robot. Unlike Megatron, Optimus has no problems standing on his own. His feet are larger, the ball joints are stiffer, and he benefits from not having a giant fusion cannon hanging off his arms. He's got all the articulation Megatron had, with the addition of wrist swivels. Also unlike Megatron, his head sculpt turned out great.

[​IMG]

Optimus Prime's controller splits in half and mounts under his arms. All four shoulder buttons rotate around to reveal guns. The cord then plugs into his leg, along with the memory card.

Robot mode basically turned out great, with some issues:

The red chest flap does not secure into place at all, and there's zero friction on the hinge. It will click as it flops around every time you handle the figure. If you pose him leaning forward, it too will lean forward, like a loose bib.

The chest is a pain in the ass to lne up correctly sometimes. it's bad enough you actually have to bend the plastic to fit his head through the hole in the transformation, but then it doesn't secure into place at all either. It does have friction so it won't flop around like the red chest flap, but it's never gonna stay put as you handle the figure either.

So, how's the transformation? Just about as complex as Megadrive Megatron was, without everything securing tightly into place. You have to bend part of the disc lid to get the head into place, and other parts show stress marks just by utilizing transformation joints. Anywhere there's a pin or a screw hinge, a stress mark has about a 50% chance of appearing.

[​IMG]

He's pretty much the same size as Megadrive Megatron is in console mode, and you'll see here that there's lines and gaps all over the figure. You may even notice that the disc lid parts don't even sit flush with each other. I don't suck at transforming the figure, these issues are present in the official photos of the figure on the packaging and instructions. Nothing fits together properly. If you close the lid of the Playstation, the back part of the lid pops up. That's the loose chest flap mentioned above, and there's no room for the raised part of it inside the disc tray. Another nitpick: the power, reset, and open buttons are supposed to be darker than the console plastic, not lighter.

[​IMG]

Speaking of things that won't fit in the disc tray... If you open the disc lid, you can put one of the two included games inside. They sit on the spindle, and spin with minimal effort. They're a semi-floppy black plastic with a printed top. I've only taken one out of the bag, and I have no idea what game this is. There's nothing that can be done with the games in robot mode, unlike Megadrive Megatron, and there's no room for the game in the console with the disc lid closed. The game discs are useless unless you want to display it with the lid open.

Speaking of the lid, the space for the playstation logo sticker is smaller than the sticker, so of course it's peeling off on the edge and won't sit flat in the spot it goes. Quality all around.

He does come with a memory card, and I actually really like the memory card. The text and logo are fully painted, the text on the back is fully painted, and the contact area is painted a darker grey. It does lose a couple points for accuracy, since the grooved area under the back "sticker" is painted black here, where on an actual memory card it's the same grey as the rest of the card.

Like the Megadrive controller before it, the Playstation controller also features working buttons. The four face buttons and d-pad buttons all work. The start and select buttons do not, and the shoulder buttons don't either due to the hidden gun gimmick.

So, another thing about that controller and memory card... they're both too big to fit in the slots on the controller. putting either one in will bend the spacer in the middle into the cavity for the other. You can jam them in there, but I worry about breaking that spacer. If you want to have both plugged in, put the memory card in first, then insert the controller connector, but don't put it in all the way. Just have it in far enough to be secure, so the back of the connector is flush with the back of the memory card. Again. Quality.

[​IMG]
    (shown for scale only, Misadventures of Tron Bonne not included)

It's a nice little figure, with plenty of really dumb issues in Playstation mode. I only suggest buying it if you're a big Playstation or Optimus fan, or both. Anyone else will probably be let down, and if you're a fan of either or both... you'll probably still feel let down. Like I am.

If you really want just one of these game console transformers, get Megadrive Megatron if you want a great console mode and have something nice to prop him against in robot mode. Get Optimus if you want a great robot mode, and want to ignore the console mode exists.

15. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Playstation Optimus Prime

Quick review for now. I will add to it tomorrow.

Box is just as awesome as Megatron's. Great display piece.

Prime himself looks fantastic, Some great joints, and some... not so great. Once again the ankles are loose so he has issues standing.

Head sculpt is gorgeous. Just amazing. The larger antennae bend forward on this version. Its a neat stylized take.

Some parts just do not lock in place. his chest piece for example just flops in the breeze. Literally. the CD cover folds over on itself, and there is no tabbing whatsoever. You can cleverly pose the side panels of the cover, but this gives prime a big circular chest, and obscures his silhouette.

He has Gundam style hip cover panels, which I really like. His shoulder pauldrons are touchy and don't pin together tightly. This company needs to go back to tabbing and pegging 101.

My version only came with one replica CD (Golf) and didn't come with the Playstation Sampler that is shown on the back of the box.

Squaring off against Megatron (who I have really grown to appreciate) he is a bit under armed. Not trying to be puny. He has no "gun" to speak of. the PlayStation controller halves snap in under his forearms, and I guess the shoulder buttons on the controller halves can be some sort of laser devices. Otherwise no gun. And no peg hand so can't be give an gun. An oversight in my eyes. Megatron is defiantly packing some serious heat with the Megadrive expansion/gun.

Sculpting is one again OUT OF THIS WORLD. Super good, and amazingly detailed. Attention given everywhere. Details that you wouldn't expect are there: CD laser, output ports with tiny labeling. Memory card with including the sticker that was on the backside of the Playstation memory card.

I will get to Transforming him tomorrow evening. And will provide more details then.

Attached Files:

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
  17. chuckcjc

News Credits:
    Wow!

18. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Can we get some pics?

19. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Nice! Was thinking about getting this, because I have every PlayStation (only the PS4 not yet, but I wait for the obligatory slim version). But I kind of like the Mega Drive Megatron so much more than this. I'm kind of glad I skipped. It just looks OK to me.

20. chuckcjc

News Credits: