TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Hisashi Yuki on Masterpiece

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SydneyY, Aug 5, 2014.

1. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Wow... 12 Days.
    MP Megatron is perfect.. but only in alt mode.
    For anyone who wants a perfect Megatron alt mode, that is the toy for you.
    I am more into the robot mode. At the time MP didn't have the kind of direction it does now, and Starscream's (MP-03) robot mode suffers for the perfect alt mode also.

But from what we've seen of Star Saber, it may very well be the best MP made so far. It'll be a year before we find out, but man oh man, that thing looks sick. This guy has serious chops. I honestly hope he gets another MP project, and I hope it's Ginrai.

2. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    He designed Super Fire Convoy, the toy that was a Masterpiece before the line existed and the single biggest moment in the online TF fandom to that date. Enough said.

I think people are gracious on MP-5 because there is a rational and reasonable explanation for what happened, unlike in other cases with other companies not in Japan...

But that deadline and holding to the release date in that instance was unwise. What could he have done in 3 months? MIND BLOWN

3. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really want Ginrai to happen. I think there is a lot of crossover appeal with Hasbro there. The one reason why I'm on pins and needles about the whole thing is because of his catastrophic loss in the Fan's Choice poll >_<

4. Roadbuster25

Roadbuster25 Well-Known Member

Great read. Thanks for the translation. I am always learning something new with each of interview. I never realized that they start with an launch date first before even finishing the planning stage. It makes sense as I type this but wonder if this is part of the reason why so many MP projects get pushed out.

I wonder what he could have down with Megatron's design if he was given more time. Were MP 4, 5 and Star Saber the only MP figures that he designed?

5. merphul

merphul Well-Known Member

I love how every interview from the MP designers show their passion and love for their projects and the franchise. To me MP-5 (who I love/hate) has always suffered from what I thought were engineering obstacles they couldn't overcome at the time. Hearing about the 12 day development time gives me added respect for the previously unknown designer as well as sympathy.

but I still love/hate my megs.

I'm really looking forward to Star Saber and hope they give him the chance to work on Victory Leo and God Ginrai... and a chance to do rescaled megs, maybe with 18 days to finish!

6. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never got into StarSaber as a kid, but I think I may pick up the Masterpiece. It just looks so nice.

I think this designer will get his wish in the future, as Ginrai is such a popular character, that he will defintely see a Takara release at some point. Maybe for the US too.

Thank you again for the Translation! These interviews have been great to read!

7. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am glad everyone is enjoying reading this. As always thank you for the pats on the back. Much more than I am worthy of.

3rd place isn't that bad! :D  Though if TakTom follows this poll he'll be after Micron Legend Convoy, which I'd love to see.

So far, yes.
    He is better know for creating Super Fire Convoy (RiD Optimus Prime) as Afterburner mentioned, and my personal favourite, Big Convoy.

8. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Back in high school I loved Big Convoy and Super Fire Convoy. Glad to know he has a good track record. Automatically gives him more respect and I can breath easier about Star Saber being a great figure.

Thanks for these translations I love them all.

On a side note is it completely irrational to hope for an official translated book?

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh great! For some reason I remembered him scoring dead last, but I must have confused him with Fort Max.

Ginrai and maybe Max are about the only ones I'm really into on the list.

10. FoC Grimlock

FoC Grimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP Megatron is a failure but that's not the designers fault. It certainly explains the awful face and proportions though right?

And there's no way to seriously blame Yuki anyway because his Star Saber is shaping up to be the best MP to date and may be in the lead for a long time to come.

11. pfcparts

pfcparts Well-Known Member

Kinda shocking they would leave 12 days for a deadline of one of their most iconic figures... What the heck were they doing up to then knowing full well of the deadline? I believe most of us would have agreed that there was something off with 05 in comparison to the rest of the line. These new "facts" explain it. Though since they weren't "facts" to begin with obviously they never possibly could have happened as of course Tak does absolutely no wrong lol. :D  Seems like they didn't really have their shit together and still came out roses... trend maybe?

Question on translation: Gimmicks, ques, or aesthetics? I really prefer leaving the gimmicks like the 08 (lights, tail/head etc) stuff out of the figures. I thought the line moved away from it? Was hyped for it, but now slightly worried. One of the MPs I'll sit on and wait for reviews before I decide to buy as 05 left a really bad taste even now knowing the specifics. Lets see what he can do with a full dev cycle.

People are cooler this thread as we don't have HTS dicking us around all week anymore lol. Butthurt has resided. Given time it should be back the flaming norm. :wink: 

12. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for this, Syd!

I wanted to include the gimmicks the original toy had.

Brainmaster confirmed!

13. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    ^what the hell are you on about... ??

14. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

Instagram:
    I F'in love mp megatron, I don't know what the hell everyone is smokin. OP, ur awesome man!

15. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah.. All for MP Super Ginrai. They can work on MP-10's mold and play with it's trailer.

16. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here are some comparison shots between Convoy and Star Saber for those of you curious about the height differences.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. botfan

botfan Quote this Avatar

Did he say that Star Saber is taller than MP-22 or did I read that somewhere else?

18. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    That's what he said. /\

19. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Here ya go from the interview transcript:

20. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yuki said "The product size is slightly bigger than MP-22 Ultra Magnus. It is about the same size as the original Star Saber toy"

Maybe it's perspective, but that MP10 w/ the original SSaber, MP10 looks kind of big and only slightly shorter than SS.
    However, when MP10 is put next to MP22, MP10 looks a lot smaller in contrast when standing next to the original SSaber.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files: