TakaraTomy Staff interview - Hironori Kobayashi on Masterpiece

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SydneyY, Aug 1, 2014.

1. darkedgex

darkedgex Burritocon

I'm thinking combiners, which would be amazing. I just hope they don't forget the other figures too.

@SydneyY:

Thanks for the translation. Just received this book a couple of days ago from Amazon.co.jp, and while I love the drawings, the interviews are what really had me curious. =)

2. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Probably too embarassed to.

I know if I made something that bad too, I wouldn't show my face either.

3. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I'm not asking literally, but a whole lot of questions and yet they didn't ask about MP23?

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thank you for the kind words for me everyone. Really appreciate it :) 

Might be nothing new but here it is -
    What I find interesting here is his use of the term "MP Real Car series". I wonder if this has something to do with the "next step" he mentions in the interview, say there'll be two lines of MPs; licensed vehicle MPs and other MPs like Star Saber who isn't based on an actual vehicle.

Ha. I at least hope people will stop blaming Kobayashisan when they don't like MP-5.

5. ThisGuy

ThisGuy True Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "Ultra Magnus as the centric character to the real car series"
    Hit the nail on the head for me. I plan on displaying Magnus in truck mode with 4 of the super cars on the back. I think it will look awesome.

6. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    " It uses plenty of diecast and I believe the final product will give you a nice hefty feel."

I think that's the first I've heard of there being diecast. Nice!

7. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow thanks SydneyY! Really interesting read. Thanks for your time.

8. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

This interview is great

9. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Oh yead Syd did it again! :D 

10. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Thanks a lot Sydney, your time is greatly appreciated.

Great interview, and as expected, some mythbusting in there. I also like how he is freely responsible for his mistakes such as too much diecast on MP-1. He learns from them which is awesome.

I don't care about the production issues (which really aren't his issues), MP-9 is still the greatest MP to date. To turn that Floro Dery design into reality, with all 4 modes is nothing short of overwhelmingly amazing. Hasui has done great work and brought a real smoothness, simplicity, and animation accuracy to the line but Kobayashi does not take a back seat to him at all in my opinion. The fact he did Magnus, another character very challenging to engineer like Rodimus just makes me all the happier.

I do also wonder who exactly did MP-05? I am thinking maybe someone no longer with them? Also I assume he is referring to Don Figueroa on the MP-1 input.

11. Keldroc

Keldroc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I also don't care about the production issues, but MP-9 is without any question the worst MP in the line, Megatron included. Fiddly and unstable, and zero fun to transform. I appreciate the difficulty of translating the animation design into plastic, but that doesn't make him any less of a bad toy. I am very concerned about the future of the MP line in the hands of the man who made that figure, but as you say, he does seem up front about learning from his mistakes.

12. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

I never really found Kobayashi to be bad designer especially seeing as at the time MP1 was the greatest Optimus/Convoy toy ever. I did find MP05 a failure but heck turns out it's not even Kobayashi's fault. Looking at the interview it seems like by the time Hasui took the reins they had finally come to focusing the line much more and MP22 is definately continuing that. Also I absolutely love that he got us the MP11.
    Speaking of MP11 it's interesting that he once again mentions that that's around the time that they finally had a particular direction to move the MP line (cartoon accuracy) and that's why the MP11 came about.
    As far as Star Saber and the "next step," it may be combiners or it may be non "real car" alt modes but one thing about Star Saber is he's technically a transformer with two alt modes and three bot modes; perhaps it just means that they're getting more intricate with the line or something.
    I honestly love how Kobayashi can laugh at himself.
    One thing I'm curious about that is not covered in the interview is how he feels about how Hasui's work. I'm really curious as to what these engineers think about each other's work.

13. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Interesting, thanks SydneyY

I'm not sure there's too much to read into his comments on "where next" for the MP line; unless something's lost in translation, they're pretty vague. If anything, it is what it says - he intends to stick to the "cartoon accurate" vibe and the licensed cars aspect, but everything else is as yet undefined.

The only frustrating thing is that there wasn't a question directly addressing the matter of new MP Decepticons - the elephant in the room, IMO.

14. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the translation, SydneyY, much appreciated! This is a fascinating interview. I had no idea that Megatron wasn't designed by Kobayashi - I've seen so many people slating Kobayashi for Megatron that I thought it was established fact it was his, but there you go. :)  I also didn't realise that Kobayashi was in charge of MP-11. I thought that Hasui had done MP-11, tweaking MP-03 from Kobayashi's original design. It's great that he was able to revisit his original concept for Starscream.

Like others, I'm intrigued by his final comments, in which he says that he wants to continue with cartoon accuracy and real cars, but also that Star Saber might point the way to the future. I wonder what that means. The speculation about Menasor seems plausible. Or maybe the fact that the phrase "MP Real Car series" is used means that they'll keep going with the cars but also work on some less obvious figures? I personally hope they work on completing the G1 S1 cast, but it will be interesting to see what MP-23 turns out to be.

I couldn't agree more. I hear MP-09 get a lot of bashing, but then I look at my figure and I'm baffled as to why. I can understand that it might not be some people's cup of tea, with its complex and fiddly transformation (which really isn't as bad as people makes out - you just need to set aside ten minutes for it :)  ), but to claim it's in any way a bad figure blows my mind. He is easily the best-looking, most screen-accurate MP to date, and he's a marvel of engineering. The ten year-old in me still gets a kick just taking him out of the box. He's the figure that got me back into collecting, and into the MP line. In my ideal alternative universe, there would be two MP lines - the one we're getting now, smaller, with all the bots in scale - and a continuance of the old one, with the occasional high-profile character rendered as a large figure with incredible detail and many gimmicks.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Kobayashi's first "real car series" design, as he hasn't tackled any of these yet. Fingers crossed for Jazz...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  15. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

SydneyY, thank you so much, man. Reading this was the highlight of my day (right after seeing GotG with my wife tonight) and made me love Kobayashi all the more. While I sure hope Hasui returns to the MP line if he hasn't already, I also hope they keep Kobayashi on it as long as possible and have these two men work on MPs simultaneously. Their engineering genius, their skilled artistry, and passion and respect for G1 is a rare combination.

Are there any other interviews in the book? Any with Hasui? Any other interesting bits? Like others have said, the biggest surprise has been that Kobayashi did not engineer MP Megatron. Mind blown.

16. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I would love it beyond all belief if it turned out Hasui designed MP Megatron. :lol 

17. ambitron

News Credits:
    Yes, there's an interview with Hasui of the same length, and two other, much shorter interviews. One of the other interviews is with Hisashi Yuki, I believe, and interestingly, the very first question has "MP-05" in it. "MP-4" and "MP-5" are also mentioned in his profile blurb. Could it be that Hisashi Yuki was the designer of MP Megatron? Hopefully SydneyY or another Japanese speaker will be able to clarify at some point... I'm not sure who the final, shortest interview is with.

18. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    Yes - would be hilarious, in fact I can think of one or two posters that will already be munching some humble pie.....

Again, just wanted to chime in and thank Sydney for the translation, I love the MP line and this was a great read - it is very much appreciated.

19. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just read that part...yep Yukisan did MP-5. According to his comment in the interview, he had to do it in 12 days :eek: 

The last person is Mr. Noriaki Maeda, TF marketing team producer.

20. ambitron

News Credits:
    Great, thank you for confirming that - mystery solved! And blimey, 12 days?