TakaraTomy MP24 Star Saber

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by TCracker, Mar 20, 2015.

1. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    Do you mean Saber's right Forearm? pics please.

2. timcourtois

timcourtois Well-Known Member

Uh oh. Opened up star saber's elbow joints to see if I could tighten them. Before I did anything there were already stress marks in there. I don't think these joints are going to last.

I wedged a little piece of paper in there to tighten it. It worked, though I wonder if it'll break on me soon.

Attached Files:

3. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    blow dryer bro.

at least you can get your screw out.

the top of the smaller corner screw on mine looks like a circular indentation (do to being completely stripped), so there's no possible way to remove it at all.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  4. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Aside from the loose elbows (easily solved) and the wonky weapons gripping (what Masterpiece doesn't suck at this?) MP Star Saber is one of the best Transformers I've ever bought in my 30 of doing this. Just about everything transforms smoothly and you don't have to wrestle and fight to get a piece connected.

He's basically nearly perfect.

Nearly.

It's possible I'm doing something wrong, but I'm having trouble getting saber into the V-Star properly, in either vehicle or robot modes. In vehile mode he doesn;t seem to clip in very stable, it's very easy to dislodge him. But that's okay, It holds well enough and I'm pretty it's just the design.

In star Saber mode I for the life of me can not figure out the trick to getting Saber into the place beyond simply pushing hard. I know you have to press the button on the back while inserting saber but there's resistance near the top of the body cavity as well. He snaps into place in what I think are just one place on each side. Again, he holds fine and everything looks to be in place but the connection just doesn't feel that secure.

I've read that lots of people seem to have trouble with the combination so I'm pleased I'm not the only one. Anyone have any suggestions?

5. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Pretty sure you don't need to press the button when inserting saber, just like the original, you only press it to release. Align him properly and snap him in, he's primarily held by the two small tabs. What I did was seat saber first, then push one side in and then force the other side in. And yes, he does feel somewhat loose, but that's down to poor design, or maybe we've missed something...

6. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    here's my posting a few pages back:

[​IMG]
    When putting Saber inside the chest cavity of the V star, make sure to put it in between the area that I've circled. Some folks make the mistake of putting it between the thighs instead. The area that I circled must be placed on the spring loaded mechanism in the V star.

[​IMG]
    Please take note of the two areas that I've circled (that's the two small tabs), once Saber is placed inside the V Star both his shoulders must be placed securely onto the two areas which I've highlighted. There should be a click sound when it's secured. Some gentle force is needed to put him into place. Also DO NOT press the back button when placing Saber inside the V star, the button is only to be used when you release him that's all.

View from above when it's properly secured.

[​IMG]

Edit: After transforming him numerous times, I just realised something. The two small tabs that's securing him onto the V star doesn't latch on both shoulders, actually it locks on both his folded wings sections.

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The culprit that makes Saber seemingly difficult to seat inside the V-Star is the stiffness of the side clips. You really have to push him in firmly to get them to clip around the wings.

The clamp for the combined vehicle mode is much more forgiving. Just make sure you've got the clip lined up around the locking ridges on saber's legs (in jet mode, they're just above the forward roots of the tailfins. You'll know exactly what you're looking for once you know they're there), and just push Saber gently up into place.

8. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    OK, so, I've had Star Saber for just over a week now; I had the chance to mess around with all his accessories and I've got a good feel for the transformations. And, well... I'm just not that impressed, not as much as I hoped I would be.
    I have the most issues with the V-Star alt mode. As was mentioned above, the V-Star mode doesn't really lock in very tightly. I'm entirely not sure what the proper transformation is for his feet / thrusters (set at an angle all the way out, or pushed in within the 'heel recess'. The clips on the blue back don't tab in tightly on the white legs.

Saber's alt mode also just doesn't quite do it for me. This is more a personal problem, I guess: I own the G1 Star Saber and I always really like the way that jet looked, and this one sort of looks like a deformed version of that. I realize MP Saber is actually more cartoon accurate, and to be honest, I'm liking the in hand Saber better than the initial pictures I had to go on.

Robot modes are pretty great though: both Saber's robot mode and Star Saber's robot mode are total win, and it's a no brainer that this is that best display mode. Personally, with MP's I'm a 'transform twice and then display' kind of guy: which means I have no issues with the loose fit of the long handled sword, or with the storage of unused items (they go back in the box).

Still... I sort of had hoped that the way I'd see MP Star Saber would actually surpass my love of MP-22 Ultra Magnus, which is currently my absolute favorite Masterpiece and perhaps my favorite TF ever. But it just doesn't. To me, Star Saber is on the level of MP Bumblebee: great in his own right, super accurate, but just not perfect...

9. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the thing that confuses me. I've tried both ways and when I put the mechanism behind the cockpit; Saber did not sit securely in the V-Star at all and putting any sort of pressure on a moving piece of clear plastic was just nerve wrecking. Furthermore, there's a sculpted notch between the thighs which fits perfectly into the groove on the mechanism. That groove and notch seemingly fill no other purposes so I'm inclined to believe that's the intended way to do it.
    That said, it's tricky to get everything to line up properly the first couple of times until you get the hang of it. Saber needs to slot into the V-Star at a very specific angle in order for the mechanism to catch the crotch notch. Once he's in there, though, a gentle push on either shoulder locks him in place super securely and pushing the button dislodges him at the shoulders and you can just slide him right out.

It's weird the instructions aren't clearer on how you're supposed to do it, considering they pointed out exactly how to connect them together for the jet mode, which is much more straight forward.

10. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    That's the area (indicated by a green square) I use for the combination and it works perfectly.

[​IMG]

I just line that up with the tab on the floor of the docking bay, then push both shoulders until they click. To remove Saber I hold in the button on Star Saber's back while pushing forward on Saber's shoulders and he pops right out. I tried it with the area Underwear has circled and it didn't line up properly.

Attached Files:

• ssu.jpg
      ssu.jpg
      File size:
      62.2 KB
      Views:
  11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    This is tricky to explain but I think the slot in the palm that holds the short handle in combined mode, COULD hold the long handle too, IF the bottom was cut out. I'm actually surprised it wasn't molded with the bottom cut away.

12. Sponge

Sponge Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    Yeah that thought occurred to me as well, you are talking about the furrow on the interior of the three fused fingers on the larger hands, right?

Well if you are, I did the measurements and that channel is too thin to accommodate the long handle, sure you can easily change it, but then the smaller hilt wouldn't fit as securely in the hands, very much a catch-22

13. jayman118

jayman118 Well-Known Member

Ill echo what other says, MP star saber is a great toy no doubt but not that great as MP's.

14. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    So you prefer the brick version eh?

15. jayman118

Im not sure what you meant, but i had zero knowledge with this guy and never had the old version. Im not trying to hate this toy or anything, but i can see others having a similar experience with the MP saber.

16. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:

Well if others you say have a similar underwhelming experience just like you, there are also others who also have uplifting & ejoyable experience with Star Saber just like me.

It's a 50/50 thing bro. :) 

17. jayman118

Don't worry, i enjoyed the toy myself :)  never really said i didn't like it or anything i even considered buying one again but i guess im good. Just wished i have nostalgia about this toy,

18. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Yep, this is very much a Masterpiece toy in every sense of the word.
    Best one of the bunch as far as I'm concerned.

19. starkaz75

starkaz75 Well-Known Member

I tried the circled one, too, and it sat way too far forward. The part you drew with the square is the correct one to get it all the way back. I also had to pull on saber's shoulders to get him to pop out.

20. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree. Just hard for me to decide which one I like better, this Magnus. My only issue is the lack of adequate grip for the long handle with the blade facing forward