TakaraTomy MP-M01 Masterpiece Transformers the Movie Edition Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by influence82, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

Is this worth getting if you already have Leader SS? I can get my hands on this for only like 30% the price of regular Leader SS (probably because I overpaid for SS) and I'm not sure I have room for 2 SSs, but he looks so cool. Does he have the same speech function and the same irritating voice? Definitely leaning towards getting him.

2. imranbecks

imranbecks Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Its up to the individual.. I also have the other Leader SS from ROTF but I also wanted the leader SS to have the appearance he had in the first movie, so I also bought this MPM SS... And they look pretty awesome side by side.. One tattooed, the other one isn't...

Yes, it has the same speech and lights, but unlike the Leader SS from Hasbro, the batteries aren't included with the MPM SS..

3. imranbecks

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    More photos of MPM Starscream...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Purple Decepticon symbol on forehead...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If someone would be kind enough to Photoshop the image below and add clouds/sky in the background, that would be great...!!!
    [​IMG]

4. evil ivotron

evil ivotron destroy'em all

Friggin' sweet

5. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

Thanks for those great comparison pics. I'll make room for him - he really does look great. Unlike the Leader, though, I'll also have to make room for the box!!

6. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    I think that the MP SS wins in the alt mode and as surprised as I am to say this, the Leader version wins in the bot mode. The Leader with the darker plastic and tattoos has a much more imposing look in bot mode, while the MP with the amazing paint job looks a bit too light and not as intimidating. However, the Leader looks like absolute poo in alt mode and the super-realistic jet mode of the MP version is simply amazing. I can't wait to get this in hand tomorrow.

Very nice pics sir.

7. imranbecks

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the compliments guys! And yeah, the MP does look better in jet mode than it does in robot mode.. But that robot mode was how he appeared in the first movie, which also goes to show that Starscream's robot mode from the first movie was dull compared to his darker appearance in ROTF..

8. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I actually prefer the MP version in both modes. Really looking forward to getting one.

9. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Had mine for a couple of days now and I must say that the QC from the Vietnamese factory is top notch. The paint applications and detailing in particular are very neatly and evenly applied all over the figure. No overspray or scratches etc.

I hope they can keep this up when Hasbro/TakaraTomy eventually move more of their productions over there from China.

10. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I love this mold, but I doubt I'll get this version.

11. Sentinel

News Credits:
    ^ Come up to KC and check it out in person. He is pretty cool.

12. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There are some very nice photos here: MPMƒXƒ^￾[ƒXƒNƒŠ￾[ƒ€￾@ƒŒƒrƒ…￾[

After viewing the photos in the link above: say what you will about the mold, the idea of a movie masterpiece line or the 2007 movie deco. Between this Starscream and Buster Prime, no other toy in recent memory has pushed the quality-of-finish envelope this much. The paint apps on this figure are, in my opinion, perhaps second only to the upcoming Masterpiece Rodimus.

13. imranbecks

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed! Wow those photos look really great and it really justifies the figure!!! Very poisonous! Luckily I already have it..haha.. otherwise, I would be running out now to get it..!!!

If it weren't for the leg kibble underneath the jet mode, this figure would probably sell like hotcakes and people would stop complaining that it shouldn't be a masterpiece figure blah blah blah... The paint job of the F22 alone that Takara did is a masterpiece.. Put it on a desk in jet mode, and people would think it is a model of the F22 Raptor...

[​IMG]

14. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Just got mine. Wow. I want to summarize how it looks in one word, but "stunning" just seems inadequate. I felt kind of silly paying double the price of the Leader for this, but now that I see it in person, side by side with the Leader toy, it's elegant and understated beauty juxtaposed with the obnoxious and ridiculous cheese of those tattoos, all of those silly feelings have melted away.

Takara really lavished this thing with a finish that has to bee seen to truly be appreciated. There's so much subtlety and elegance that it almost seems more than the toy deserves, but it turns out to be precisely what this sculpt deserves. Nothing in the sculpt has changed between the Leader version and this one of course, but the colors and tones of the MP version really bring out the detail and showcase it in a way that the Leader version just has no capability of doing.

There have been some truly gorgeous photos of this toy, but I'll tell you this: none of them match what it looks like in person (although some come close). If you can only afford the Hasbro version, be happy with it because it's a fine toy. But if you don't mind paying extra for a phenomenal paintjob and finish that elevates it from "toy" to "masterpiece", do yourself a favor and get this.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I have yet to see a photo of the MP version with both halves of the front of the face connected all the way, like they are on my Hasbro figure. There's always a gap at the forehead where the pieces are supposed to meet.

That bugs the hell out of me.

16. Sentinel

News Credits:
    As far as I remember, my MP Movie SS was assembled correctly and doesn't have that gap you are talking about.

Oh and very nice post eriku. Very well said and 100% agreed.

Update: My SS seems to suffer from the same split head as everyone else. I just didn't notice.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    That's good. You can see the gap in every picture in this topic, regardless of who posted it. Same for that linked gallery above.

18. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yeah, noticed that as well. Wonder how hard it would be to take the the head apart and fix it, though it's a pretty minor thing.

19. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it's cool that the HFTD version of Leader Screamer can kind of be looked at as a movie masterpiece from ROTF, with the Movie MP Screamer being a movie Masterpiece from TF1. I'm warming up the to deco more and more, maybe I'll order it sometime.

20. Ishino

Ishino Studio Series enthusiast

News Credits:
    Got this guy yesterday, unbelievably good. One of my absolute favourite TFs to date.

I have just one issue with it. The concealed rockets on the left wrist will pop out no problem, but when I try to retract them the tiny fins at the back of them catch on the cover flaps. Is this a common issue?