TakaraTomy MP-29 Destron Laserwave (Shockwave)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by xdmisato, Mar 31, 2016.

1. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I gave this a few days to solidify how I feel since getting him.

I like him but I do not feel he is worth the price they are asking. I do not like the unpainted plastic or the color used, it looks like a toy in a bad way.

I don't hate this guy by a long shot, he just feels underwhelming for me.

2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think he's generally underwhelming, but I agree they charged to much for him when compared to other recent releases. Well, I always thought they charged too much for the seekers, but Shockwave should have maybe cost $10-$20 more then Ironhide, not $50-$70.

3. Scypris

Scypris Fire in another hole!

News Credits:
    All MiB collectors are happy with that. Leaving a toy in box with batteries in it for 10+ years causes battery acid damage. Leaving the toys features practically useless.

One thing they could have done is have the batteries on the side and you'd have to just install them.

4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'll bet the stomach panel is in the way. Use your nail to push it up all the way, then to catch the trigger from the side. There's only about a millimeter or two in clearance, but it's do-able.

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not entirely true. Usually, you just need to clean the contacts to get the toy up and running again.

Does make for an ungodly mess that's hard to get pristine again, though.

6. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Yeah, someone suggested I try Future on the tabs on his boot. Gotta pick that stuff up and give it a try!

Also strongly agree with the reactions that he looks and feels cheap, that he's just a glorified CHUG. What an exaggeration. Shockwave fits right in with the rest of the line :) 

[​IMG]

7. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You may have pushed his head down too much. Try lifting his head up a bit, that would free enough space for the panel on his stomach to slide up more and you should be able to get the trigger out.

8. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got mine today. Mixed feelings. I completely understand why people say he looks cheap and a bit buttery, it's an odd choice. That aside, the transformation is clever and very different, so I enjoyed it for that. Probably one of the first MP toys I've had in a while where I enjoy the transformation and don't find it a fiddly chore.

The legs are clever but gappy, so not entirely successful, but I appreciate the shape and engineering.

The backpack is a bit unsightly however you have it (either looks wrong or too big) but still unusual and well engineered, so it gets a pass there.

I like all the extras and the stand is a nice touch.

So overall I'm pleased, but not blown away. I think Quakewave fits in better with my Decepticon shelf, but given that we seem to be going the cartoon route with MP now I expect I'll have to split the shelf eventually anyway between toy and toon decos.

Blimey, Takara like our money don't they? :/

9. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    future or pledge or what ever i calls works ;)  i used a bit on the tab that wouldnt stay. i believe its the right leg? did a little bit in the hole and tabbed it in. worked like a charm

10. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Great to know! That'll definitely bump him up another notch in my book ;) 

11. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So finally made it home so I can compare him to my Quakewave figure. Man it's tough...

Aesthetically, I actually prefer Quakewave for the toy cues. The silver paint, purple, the toy-style silver joints connecting the arms to the torso, the sharp head sculpt and the execution of the backpack, which is still genius, make this figure an engineering marvel. He also has a greater range of movement on his arms (the double-jointed elbows), legs and fingers which makes for more emotive poses.

TT's figure is certainly more cartoon accurate, but having spent some time with him he really starts to look like the poor relation. Considering how awesome Ironhide's paintwork was, it seems a little lacklustre. His transformation is still a lot of fun, but he cost almost as much as my first gen Quakewave and feels like a noticeably lower quality product.

I do much prefer his spring hose (great idea!) and the light-piping is preferable to Quakewave's awkward battery-powered eyeball. The legs are also arguably better and the simple hand/gun switching is a smart way to provide easy customisation. Oh, and I love the way his trigger is covered up.

If I had to pick one it'd be Quakewave for the premium feel, sharper sculpt and greater flexibility. He also fits in better with Soundwave, the jets, Apollyon and the FT Insecticons. Until we get more cartoon decos (which appear to be coming) Shockwave will stand out like a sore thumb. Goes well with Hot Rod though.

Usually the 3P product is far more expensive, but you can get a QW for less than a TT Shockwave now, and that makes it really hard to justify the official version, though for the many reasons above, I don't think anyone should feel bad about their purchase whichever way they go.

12. timcourtois

timcourtois Well-Known Member

Yup, that was it! Thanks. Yeah, apparently the head being in there prevented the stomach panel from moving up enough for the trigger to come out.

13. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No problem man!

14. Ragifoesmasher

Ragifoesmasher Well-Known Member

15. timcourtois

timcourtois Well-Known Member

Ok, another problem I'm having with my Shockwave: the ab crunch clicks back just fine. But when I click it forward it doesn't stay put: It just unclicks itself back to the upright position again. Anyone else having this issue?

Overall:

The transformation for MP Shocky is fantastic! Considering how amazed people were by Quakewave and just gave him a free pass on the backpack/barrel partsforming because it would be "impossible" to do an all-in-one transformation... it's pretty amazing that Takara just pulled it off without a hitch at all!

At the same time, there are little things that kinda stink about it: the waist joint/ab crunch feels cheapish; the trigger is floppy; the knees don't bend 90 degrees, and the color is just off. (Put me down as one who disagrees with all those who said the color is better in person: It's still way too light.) And the unpainted plastic does look cheapish to me.

All in all, he's a fun toy. Very fun to transorm, and looks more show accurate than the Quake brothers. But I think he could have been better.

16. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

Just got mine today, finally had a chance to test it out.
    He's alright, exactly what I expected.

In my opinion just an updated version of the G1 toy, but a decent representation none the less. But not great.

Aesthetically superior laser pistol mode but robot mode really suffers in a lot of areas, skinny legs and arms, and he seems just really small overall, and while I have compared him to his cartoon counterpart, I personally don't think he's "literally walked off the TV show".

Probably the only thing this has going for it is a working trigger, something the other 2 Shocks don't have. Great looking gun mode, peculiar but fancy looking hose and nice looking head sculpt, super cool transformation but a lot more could've been done, like others have said.
    Paint and Chrome !!!!!!!! !!!!! !!

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got my Shockwave today.

Had a bit of a scare when I opened him up and then I heard something rattling around in his chest. So of course I pulled out my screwdriver set and cracked his torso open.

Thankfully, it turned out that whoever assembled mine was careless, and dropped an extra shoulder ratchet collar inside. So if anybody here has a Shockwave with a shoulder transformation joint that doesn't ratchet, I guess I've got yours...

I like him a lot. He's definitely got the elegant simplicity of a modern Masterpiece Transformer. Would've preferred a little bit more "blue" in his shade of purple, but I"m not that nitpicky. This'll do nicely.

Think I'm going to have to see about tightening his thigh swivels, though. They're a bit loose on mine, and tend to collapse on him pretty easily when attempting dynamic poses.

18. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    So no one is bothered by the half-baked feet in gun mode? Such a feature is nowhere to be seen in the cartoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Compare:

[​IMG]

The feet don't even look transformed.

19. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Heh, they do look like a bit of an afterthought, which is odd given how you'd think it'd be one of the simpler elements of the toy to get right.

I also find it amusing how much lighter the toy is to any of the screencaps above :) 

20. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

So here's my verdict (I'm an owner of the original quakewave)

Pros:
    1. Most accurate design to the toon
    2. Fun transformation and easy.
    3. The "hose" is a phenomenal idea and result.

Cons:
    1. The purple is too light or lavender-y or something. It's even lighter than the toon. People refer to it as cheap. There is something to these comments.
    2. A bit too short. It should match MP-10 and Appolyon height IMO.
    3. In gun mode, the top of the gun has more exposed screws than I would like.

Comparison to Quakewave:
    -Overall Official wins, but it's so close.

Official victories over Quakewave:
    1. Legs by a mile
    2. "Butt" end of gun mode
    3. More attractive backpack.
    4. Hose length, and construction

Quakewave victories over Official:
    1. Color. This is the ONLY case I've ever said that toon accurate colors hurt a figure. I almost can't believe I've said it. If and when TT comes out with a darker shade of purple or something then I may bite.
    2. Height
    3. Articulated hand.