TakaraTomy MP-29 Destron Laserwave (Shockwave)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by xdmisato, Mar 31, 2016.

1. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My thoughts on the figure:

COLOR - Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think unlike MP Ironhide, Laserwave is mostly unpainted purple plastic. I believe the only painted parts are his feet, side of the shins and the bar that connects his backpack to his back. Photos don't really show his actual 'purple' but I believe it's accurate to the G1 animation in hand.

ACCESSORIES - He comes with a pair of regular hands, a pair of clear hands, 2 saluting right hands (regular/clear), 2 laser canon hands (regular/clear), a mini-laserwave and a backpack that doubles as a display stand and as a storage for his accessories. He also comes with a sticker sheet for his Decepticon insignia. I don't plan on using them but it's cool that you can place his insignia either on his arms or his chest depending on your preference.

DIE-CAST METAL - Laserwave contains die-cast metal parts. From what I can tell, the bar connecting his backpack to his back and his feet are die-cast. Also, the coil going from his arm to his back is metal, which is awesome!

ARTICULATION - WARNING: FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT LIKE RATCHETS, YOU WILL HATE LASERWAVE. He has ratchet joints all over! Ratcheted ankles, knees, hips, elbows and a triple-ratcheted shoulder joint (wait, what?)! I can imagine this joint putting the fear of MP-9 into your hearts as you are turning and posing his shoulders as it puts stress on the middle ratchet joint. SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL. Other than that, his head is on a ball joint so it can move up and down, side to side. He has wrist rotation. His waist can also rotate and has an ab-crunch.

GIMMICKS - His mono-eye has very good light piping. He also has a light-up features with his arm cannon (requires 2 LR44 batteries) and with his laser gun mode (requires 2 AAA batteries).

TRANSFORMATION - Transformation is easy enough but also very interesting. It's cool how the gun nozzle becomes his backpack with no parts-forming required. His 'Masterpiece Moment' is how his legs turns into the back and handle of his gun mode.

Overall, I love MP Laserwave. Granted, it has faults but I still think that he is a good addition to the MP line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wars

Wars I Ate The WHOLE Plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh man, I can't wait to have mine in hand. He looks absolutely fantastic! And I'm loving the purple, or rather the various shades of it we've seen so far :lol 

3. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    Amazing these photos look like the colour is a cartoon accurate plum. I can't wait to get it in hand.

4. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

Are the actual colors in any way close to the colors in your signature pic? Really like how the colors look there.

5. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's close, although my sig has been photoshopped so it may appear a little darker than Laserwave's actual color. It's pretty hard to capture Laserwave's actual color as the camera's flash or environmental lighting can make it appear lighter or even darker than it's supposed to.

6. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    I just heard Yaujta's head explode!

7. kurdt_the_goat

kurdt_the_goat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got mine today too :) 

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

First up, the collector card has some really nice artwork on it! But it sucks that the instructions sheet isn't a stapled booklet this time. I hope that's not a sign of things to come - Optimus Primal really deserves the back of page of toy history! There's a good selection of stickers and i think for the first time, there's 2 types of Decepticon emblem. I'm yet to decide where to put mine :D 

Laser Vulcan (gun) looks pretty average from the top, with a heap of screw holes and no real attempt to hide the arms. The back view is a little hollow, but not too bad. Front on though, it looks pretty nice. They could have done more here but probably knew most people won't be displaying in this mode. The light effects are really quite good though. 2 AAA batteries in his back power the gun, while a switch on his waist alternates the trigger function from "hold to light up" and "press once to pulsate" modes. The pulsate effect is really cool as you can see it lighting up the barrel starting from the back. It's also a nice energon pink colour which stands out well. The hose is a tightly coiled spring that bends with little effort and plugs in simply and easily. The gun stand is a nice inclusion if you ever did want to display in gun mode!

Transformation is as i expected - pretty basic at the front of the gun to form the backpack (you could see how this would work from official pictures) and MP voodoo magic at the back/handle of the gun to form his legs. From pictures, i thought the halves of his thighs might be a weak point but they're not just pieces in isolation - both halves continue to the feet to form the whole leg. The legs peg in tight and feel pretty solid, part of the foot is metal. Another piece of metal is the strut that connects the front of the gun, which is appreciated because I could see how it would be a weak point otherwise. It's a clever and fun transformation - the only mildly scary bit being his head reveal. It just pulls up but won't lock in place unless you tug it more than you think you'd need to. I guess they took this approach since it results in less seam lines and complexity, also covering up the wiring... but it feels a little unrefined.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Robot mode is great! The purple is a very nice cartoony shade, although it's unpainted. In photos next to Ironhide (in robot mode at least), i can't tell the difference - it has a glossy consistency regardless - but in hand it does feel a little cheap. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind one release being painted and the next not... but it is nice that there's no colour mismatch anywhere - so maybe it was for the best. His design matches closely with the more recent MP toys - dare i say Prime is starting to look like he could do with a more cartoon accurate version...

Screw holes are mostly hidden now, and the backpack collapses as well as you could hope for. I prefer the look with the backpack piece attached but like the idea of "perfect transformation" more, so i'll be keeping mine off. I have a few sprue marks on the hands, but haven't noticed any others. The hand pieces slide on and off easily but stay put when they're on. The transparent gun looks really great with the light up feature. 2 LR44 batteries in his arm power this feature. It only seems to have a "press once to pulsate" mode in the arm for some reason (or i overlooked how to do it). His poseability is good overall and not hindered by kibble... though i was surprised it didn't have double jointed elbows. The ankles have more tilt than i thought they would though. I think they made a good compromise between the width of the foot, bell-bottom shin guards and articulation. The head has no light up feature but a huge light pipe that works great.

Scale wise i think he's about right. He's just about Soundwave's height but is overall less bulky... but bigger than Starscream. Next to Optimus and Megatron in isolation, he looks a little small, but with a group decepticons it looks fine. A little bigger might have been better, but any smaller and it'd be wrong i think.

So... I sold my Quakewave once this was first shown off - i knew then that for me, this would fit better - mostly in the legs, but also the shade of purple which i think captures the cartoon better and is more to my taste. Comparatively, both toys have merits. Quakewave is significantly heavier with loads of diecast. I'm not sure it served much purpose other than to give an impression of "value for money" though. Actually, on mine, the back of one leg had a missing screw head, causing the hip joint to be weak - the diecast leg would fold in as a result. The MP feels hefty enough and uses diecast in smart places.

The metal ratchets on Quakewave were satifisying to hear, but I also experienced wear on the plastic around his shoulders from the joints being overly tight. MP's ratchets are solid and not too tight. To transform, i found Quakewave pretty unpleasant - his legs could probably take a finger off if you're not careful retracting them! His arms with all the twisting due to the wiring seem needlessly complicated next to the elegant MP solution. The MP's hose design is way cooler too! I liked Quakewave's backpack transformation approach, but without a stand gun mode wasn't ever going to be displayed.

Quakewave's chest extension felt more solid than the MP's, and the head was easier to get out of the chest. Quakewave's light up head was cool, but i worried i'd break the wiring when replacing the battery. The MP's wiring is much better hidden with less risk of breakage. I think the MP has Quakewave beat when it comes to enjoyment in hand as a result. I'm struggling to remember this but ... Quakewave wasn't painted either was he? The darker purple makes it less obvious i think.

I don't have any regrets switching, but could see how someone could like Quakwave more. No one should be arguing when the result is 2 great toys!

• Like Like x 4
  8. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is MP Shockwave manufactured in Vietnam or China?

9. kurdt_the_goat

News Credits:
    Vietnam

10. Prowl 76

Prowl 76 Well-Known Member

This mould looks spectacular. They totally nailed it.

The only shortcoming to me is the cartoonishly bright colour/finish. I think it really cheapens his overall look, distances him from earlier MPs and gives it a more childish feel.

Hopefully I'll feel better about it in hand.

11. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seeing the released pics made me order quakeblast.

This dont look bad at all. looks like it walked out of the G1 toon. Unfortunately G1 toon is not my only canon. When I think Shockwave, I think Marvel comics. I dont care for Shockwave (who DECIDED it wasnt logical to kill Megatron) to be shorter than soundwave on my MP shelf.

But thats the cool thing about being a collector now..we have so many options.

Im glad we have an official Shockwave. Im glad were seeing more MP Cons..but from what I see in pics..this one isnt the "perfect" shockwave for me. Will Quakeblast be? I dunno..I may end up with this one down the road.

Thanks for the review!!

12. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    crap...We need someone with MAD photography skills to recreate the "The Transformers are all dead" pose...

Can it be done?? How close can it get? I would think with all the detail the designers are putting into these guys these days, they probably put detents in the ratchets at Perfect spots to recreate the iconic pose.

13. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Posing him by memory, might not be entirely accurate

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. kurdt_the_goat

News Credits:
    I tried with this pic:

[​IMG]

It's mostly capable of the pose (the rear foot is on tippy-toes), you'd just have to get the perspective of it right to match the proportions.

15. Thylacine2000

Thylacine2000 Well-Known Member

Are the batteries included?

16. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    I have three FT Quakewaves, but the MP is the best for me.

Super poseable, better transformation, Light up function from trigger with better light color, this light pipe eye > battery eye, MUCH better hose, better feet, better waist with slight ab crunch and back arch, and MUCH better neck joint.

None of my Shockwaves (FT, or MP) are the "perfect color". Would love FT 1st edition with less saturated hue, or MP with slightly darker hue.

In some pics MP Lazerwave looks darker, and I tought he might be, but in hand he is pretty light almost true lavender.

17. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    Just got this guy today, and I love him. The way his legs transform and the gun barrel even! The light up purple they used over all the 3rd party red/orange lights...

I especially like the sticker options, because at first I thought they just gave them to use so we could decide where to put them. On his chest, on his arms...both?
    Then I noticed the two sets we got were a set of regular Decepticon symbols and set of 'cartoon style' Decepticon symbols to really make him like the animation model.

If I had to nitpick, I'm not a fan of the head in that you apparently have to really pull to get it to 'lock' into place.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's some really clever stuff here, I love the trigger and the legs look smart as hell. It's clearly very cartoon-accurate and I can't wait to get it in hand and compare to Quakewave.

My only two minor nitpicks are the height (QW is perfectly pitched in this regard) and that he looks maybe just a bit too... friendly? Marvel comics were my G1, and I think QW catches the menace of the character perfectly. MP Shockers has a taller head than I had expected and his big eye makes him look a bit adorable :p 

That said, love the silhouette, the colour and the little Shocky gun. I think he'll go best with MP Hot Rod, their cartoon aesthetic (more so than any other releases to date in my opinion) suit each other perfectly.

19. Acesan

Acesan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The main negative for me is shorter than Soundwave. Why TT! The other negative is would have been awesome with painted purple on purple

20. Optibotimus

Optibotimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    No