TakaraTomy Masterpiece Dinobot

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Type-R, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

I may be mistaken but I think I remember reading that you need to transform those back panels in a certain order to avoid those stress marks. And yes, it should be more forgiving.

I’m still putting off adding floor polish to my copy because I cringe at the thought of adding any liquid to a figure like this. But mine cannot stand in either mode and I’m not crazy about the stand so I’ll need to do it at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Yes you do, this became apparent AFTER I'd done the damage. It should either not be happening or there should be a warning in the instructions, it's so easily done. Luckily I could see the marks forming and instantly stopped so the damage is minimal.

Yeah I've done it with mine to protect the paint. The ankles on mine are weak in both modes but less so in robot mode. They really could do with some ratchets or at least stronger joints.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

I was hoping for a KO version for around $100 like how MP-36 Megatron got an improved version for that much, but I have yet to see any good KO Beast Wars Masterpiece figures happen, so despite hating the price, considering how insanely great MP BW Megatron looks and the awesome reveal of MP Blackarachina, I finally pulled the trigger on getting this sucker. He should get to me in 3 to 5 days...

I can't go through even half of 707 pages of this thread, so can someone please give me a rundown on what I need to know when I get him? Things to do a certain way when transforming or posing as not to screw the figure up or break it? Mods I should probably do to avoid issues or easily improve it?

• Like Like x 3
  4. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Forget about good; have there been any, period?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Unicron9

A Dinobot figure that is often listed on ebay as a KO MP Dinobot, yes, but it is a fairly crummy knockoff of a figure designed by someone else. It was a 3D printed design that was actually really good until MP-41 blew it away (visually at least).
    Far from being a KO version of MP 41 though, I know.

KO mp dinobot.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. TriBlurr

TriBlurr Who am I?

News Credits:
    Going to try for the reissue in June. Wish me luck.

Here's hoping I get some good art commissions before then lol.

7. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Just took this guy off the shelf this weekend in light of all the BW news ....wow, what a figure.

In a related story, I just listed my Henkei Dinobot in the sales section if anyone is looking. :) 

8. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    There are no KO Beast Wars figures.

You want to be carful transforming him for the first time. lifting the panel the tail attaches to can cause stress makes in the plastic of you do it wrong, also be careful not to damage any of the pain in the process, this tends to happen around the robot mode legs. Also be careful with transforming the tail weapon, the end section can be very stiff and only swivel the one way. Finally the ratchets in his shoulders suffer from poor QC and may be an issue on your copy. I recommend checking out some transformation videos and videos regarding the ratchet issue beforehand, they should take you though many of the things to look for. It's not that the transformation is bad or wrought with danger but its an expensive figure so caution is advised.

There are some mods you can do to mitigate or prevent the Ratchet issue, this involves inserting a spacer (a lot of us have used e-clips) in the shoulders. You might also want to give the gold pant on his legs a clear coat of floor polish to protect the paint. You may find the batteries drain quickly even when you are not using them, this is a known issue but not one there is a fix for. If it happens to you I suggest taking the batteries out when not in use.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 12:48 PM
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Predaking EX

Predaking EX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Got my reissue coming in June also, can't wait to have him posing with Megs and Primal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Unicron9

Wrong. There are tons of KO Beast wars figures. Been seeing them since the toyline came out.
    If you mean there are no KO Masterpiece figures, the one I showed in my last post is a Dinobot toy made to fit in the MP or CHUG line and is a Knockoff of an independent designer's 3D print that came in MP and CHUG size before the official Masterpiece Dionobot was even shown, so there is a KO Dinobot figure for the MP figure line, not to mention upsized KO Beast Wars figures sized to fit in the MP line.
    If you meant there are no direct knockoffs of any of the official Masterpiece Beast Wars figures, I know that, which is why I said I have yet to see any good KO MPs come out.

I wasn't asking if there were any KOs. I was just asking what the dangers and problems I need to watch out for or mod to fix are, because I have heard MP Dinobot has some issues. You kind of answered that, but I might need to find a video that points out what I need to be careful with to make it more clear. Thanks for your reply though.

11. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    For what it's worth, definitely nowhere near MP... But also not really a KO either.
    The guy that made the Dinobot sure did promote it an awful lot ... There were also some molding differences between his 3D printed ones and the "KO" one.
    That said. It's a great CHUG figure.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Unicron9

I agree. In fact that's what I said. Listed on ebay as a KO MP dinobot, but it is clearly not a KO of MP-41. The one I posted a pic of is a KO of one someone else designed and printed himself, and he printed them in CHUG and MP scale.

I painted one for his friend that ran the facebook page they were being sold at so he'd have an example of how it looked painted.

d9r6tj2-8dc4298a-86f3-45fd-8545-37eb37d97eab.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This

14. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    If the shoulder at the hinge connecting to the body has a lot of resistance, like if you feel like the spring has seized, don't move it yet.

This is going to be hard to explain and it's hard to take a pic of. The arms connect to the body via hinges. These hinges have ratchets. On some copies the right hinge moves with much less resistance than the left. So just to be safe, BEFORE moving the hinge at the ratchet, squeeze/push the hinge inwards to keep the ratchet teeth closer together. Look above and below the hinge at the ratchet. There is a guide tab and guide slot both above and on the bottom of the ratchet. Each time you move that hinge at the ratchet, BOTH tabs need to be in those slots.

Otherwise, if only 1 tab is in the slot, the other tab will get knicked when you move the hinge at the ratchet, or sheared off. The irony being that this plastic itself is VERY sturdy. It's the movement of 2 sturdy pieces going against another that's causing the breakage.

What Takara really should've done was show in the instructions, to press the hinge ratchets together(ensure the top/bottom tabs were in the slots) before moving, as it could've saved most of the affected copies from breaking. I only learned this through trial and error on my copy.

Now if your springs are seizing, that's when it's time to bring in the RC car shock oil and c clip or sandwich bag plastic tab(literally...who knew something so cheap could save a $180+ toy?!).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Unicron9

Thank you! A shoulder issue was the main gripe I remember hearing besides issues with the figure standing well and dino articulation lacking. I will refer to what you said when I get mine, if anything to do with the shoulders doesn't check out quite right. I'll probably watch a few videos too before i transform it, just in case they mention things to be careful of and how to fix them.

Any links to videos or instructions with pics that have been posted that explain how to fix the issue using a C clip or sandwich bag tab? Because I sure don't have a clue what ya mean about that. Maybe I will understand after I mess with the figure though, or maybe I'll find it when I go looking through videos on youtube.

16. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’d like to know myself.

Asked a while back and didn’t get an answer, but I’ve only transformed Dinobot once after taking him out pfmth box, so it hasn’t been an issue.

17. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    You're welcome. Post pics here once you get yours as it'll be easier to point out. I did post some pages back but it was a month or so ago. If you search this thread for my posts you might find it.