TakaraTomy Masterpiece Dinobot

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Type-R, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaurusOxford

TaurusOxford Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but what the fuck is the logic behind this ridiculous reasoning? Dinobot isn't coming out fast enough so fuck this hobby?

• Like Like x 12
  2. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I've been waiting 20+ years for a real proper Dinobot figure. When they announced MP Primal, I was super hyped as they were actually making MP Beast Wars figures and Dinobot could now actually happen. When they announced Dinobot was actually happening, it was a dream come true. When I finally saw pictures, I kept them open on my phone, never closing the tab so I can look at them for a pick me up now and then. And now I'm 6 months away from this. And I have knowledge, actual knowledge, that he's coming. I'll have him.

What the hell is wrong with you people? He is coming, he'll be a real figure. But the wait is too much? That blows my mind. Let me tell you a secret to this hobby, having the figure isn't the best part. If you think it is, you are destined to be unhappy with almost every hobby you have. I have lots of figures I was excited about before and eventually they become mundane. When you have it long enough, you get used to it and it stops being exciting. I love my MP Primal, MP G1 Megatron, Cheetor, etc. They are fantastic figures. I still transform them now and then, but not nearly the amount when I first got them. The magic is gone for them, they are no longer new and exciting, but an accepted part of my collection. That's true for any objects. Things can never make you happy.

But if you learn to enjoy anticipation, hype. If you can learn to see Dinobot coming out as a certainty, a reality for you, and learn to appreciate that feeling, right now, in the moment, that will be the best part of your hobby, because anticipation never stops. My hobbies make me happy because I anticipate my next item. Personally, I love the release rate of the Beast Wars figures. They are expensive, and I don't really have a tonne of money to keep buying them. But at this rate? I get to spend a year getting exciting about a thing, AND I can afford to buy it.

I don't know guys. Beast Wars MP is my dream, and I'm living it. I can't really relate to the idea that it's taking too long. I'd rather be living in the now, where it takes this long, than go back 5 years where I had no idea if it would ever happen.

• Like Like x 24
  3. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    He wants his toys and he wants them NOW DAMMIT ! ( I don’t get it either. He clearly seems spoiled )

• Like Like x 2
  4. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I love the wait. It separates the real fans from those who want him on impulse.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since they used the Hot toys factory for Sunstreaker, maybe they wanted to use it again for Dinobot and due to circumstances of using the facility they had to go with a later date (July). I just wished they would have made him 43 or 44 then so we could get some numbered release before July.

6. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Nah man, let's not do any gatekeeping. A real fan is anyone who wants to be a fan.

• Like Like x 10
  7. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LS3.jpg
    LS1.jpg
    LS2.jpg
    Lucky Star is my bible.

• Like Like x 1
  8. smkheidze

smkheidze sideswipe and sideswipe and even more sideswipe.

you sir, have my respect.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To a certain extent, I agree with you. However, the point I'm trying to make is on impulse buying. Of course, far be it from me to tell others how to spend their money. But if your love for the character or a toy fizzles out after all the initial hype has passed... Perhaps your money is better spent elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but I wouldn't even say that spending the money on the figure is a sign of a real fan. Anyone can be a real fan. There are just some real fans who are willing to wait as long as needed and spend what they can to get the figure, and there are other real fans who won't. They may not be expressing their fandom in a healthy way (binge buying when you can't afford it, needing right now without any patience), but I wouldn't ever suggest they aren't fans unless they express their fandom the exact same way I do.

• Like Like x 3
  11. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Real fans wait for KOs.

• Like Like x 8
  12. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I can't wait for Dinobot, but at the same time i can actually wait for it, every month for it, it'll be a hard and tedious time, but in the end, it will be worth the wait, and i'll end so amazingly excited and happy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It depends on the perspective, there's no "real fan", there are just fans with different priorities and projects in their life, they'll end the same way, when Dinobot i'ts finally released, those "type" of "fans" will end up buying it, not matter what they've done, let them be free, and you will be free, that's a person with common sense.

14. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Oh I agree wholeheartedly. Personally I was merely bemoaning the unprecedented wait(and price) of a figure that I CAN"T WAIT to get my hands on. The time from announcement to release is way passed the point at which anyone could be called impatient or entitled for occasionally getting a little frustrated with. I find it really odd that you can't related to that frustration but hey, it takes all sorts to make a world. Personally I sympathise with it. Yeah I'll live, Transformers isn't the be all and end all, I have plenty of other things to keep me busy but I'm not going to pretend the wait isn't longer than I'd like. IT'S CRAZY LONG!

Nope can't agree with you there. For me having it IS the best part. Hype is a terrible thing, it builds up unrealistic expectation that often causes disappointment. I tend to avoid posting in here because, due to the wait conversation has stagnated, everything that can be sad has been said over and over ad infinitum, it's exhausting. Instead enjoying what I have, I'm still very much enjoying 'MP Primal, MP G1 Megatron, Cheetor, etc' way more than Im enjoying the 'idea' of MP Dinobot. Because for now that is all he is, an idea and some images on the internet of a figure that can't come out soon enough for me.

Aaaaand we are back to 100% agreement again.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  15. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
  16. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Still no Grimlock digibash?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

How many figures do you have? At one point or another you made a decision to buy each an every one of them. You wanted all of them.

Do you still enjoy all of them? Do you regular transform all of them? I'm not saying that I don't enjoy my figures at all, there are some that I very regularly take out and play with. Transformer Prime First Editions, ROTF figures, several of the transmetals, and my masterpiece figures all do get played with regularly. Heck, I just took my fanproject crossfire Bruticus out and played with it for a while. I really enjoy these figures.

But I cannot honestly say I play with any of them like I did when I first got it. When it was new and it was fresh and exciting. That'd be a lie. While I enjoy the figures, I cannot possibly say they make me happy. I don't have a sense of fulfillment in my life from them.

What I do get from this hobby is a great sense of anticipation. Something to look forwards to. A reason to be excited that another day has passed because I really want that next item. I personally think this is the healthiest way to enjoy this hobby, because focusing on the 'having' aspect generally is going to leave you feeling empty.

18. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Just Transformers? Less than 30 I reckon. I used to have a lot more and suffered the same issue you seem to be having. A large percentage of my collection just sat there gathering dust and not really making me happy. So one day I just sold everything I felt I could live without. I've barely looked back, there's maybe only a handful of figures I miss from the cull but on a whole I'm much happier with a small concise collection of only what makes me happy.

Yes I still enjoy all of them, if I find I'm not enjoying one I sell it on. I don't regularly transform them all, some just don't have super pleasing transformations and, if I'm honest I collect mostly to pose and display and get my enjoyment from that. Every time I handle or even look at them I get that buzz, just glancing at MP Cheetor across the room right now I feel the same excitement I felt on opening up his box that first time.

Clearly you are different, and that is perfectly fine. You enjoy the anticipation, if I'm honest I do to, but I have limits to how far that can be stretched. Dinobot is really testing those limits for me, that's all I'm saying. That and I feel it's perfectly reasonable to feel a little frustration over how long it's taking for such a highly anticipated figure to find it's way into our hands.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Well as long as you are being honest with yourself, it's all good with me. How you do your hobby, as long as your happy, is your business. My personal experience, and my observation of others, had led me to believe that people often focus too much on what they do and don't have, and don't enjoy the journey of getting reaching that next step. This leads to a lot more disappointment and frustration than necessary. If that doesn't apply to you, then what I'm saying doesn't apply. Keep doing you.

• Like Like x 1
  20. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    There's some truth to this, after all real fans will always be broke buying all sorts of HasTak stuff, they can only afford KOs. :) 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.