Takaratomy Mall exclusive UW05 Convoy Grand Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Gaokaiser, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Lady Slipstream

Lady Slipstream UwU zone

News Credits:
    Its kinda sad that hasbro did like more like 6 versions of the RID15 Sideswipe in 1 year and none of the G1 in years

2. FroDoge

FroDoge Wrecker

Mirage and Sunstreaker are pretty good.

3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Αἰών

News Credits:
    Another great Unite Warriors set.

4. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Gotta admit; that Mirage looks amazing and I do like it better than Hasbro's which is saying a lot since I already really like Hasbro's. Might end up picking this one up after all just to have him go up against Grand Galvatron.

5. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I fixed my Optimus by transplanting the fixed hips from a Battle Core Optimus. Makes him sooooo much better in combined mode!

6. AutobotAlvaron

AutobotAlvaron Autobot

As I've noted elsewhere, I already own at least two of each of every mold-type found in this set, but that gorgeous Takara packaging alone makes this a tempting set. Their presentation of their own upgraded TF figures makes even these slight re-decos very, very, appealing. That's a credit to simply adding a little paint in a more G1-accurate lay-out, and enclosing them in a beautiful box. Well done Takara, for making Transformers that look better, without necessarily being better, than anything Hasbro makes.

(Hasbro's little sister Takara just knows how to show off a lot better.)

7. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Don't feed me after midnight.

Ebay:
    Much nicer colours on these guys compared to the Hasbro release.

8. Agregor

Agregor Unsanctioned Combantant

Meh

Those paint jobs look meh IMO

But I'll take Mirage...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  9. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  10. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Mirage looks really good in the dark blue. Ironhide and Sunstreaker are a bit nicer in terms of a few color choices. But Prowl and Optimus really aren't that different. I don't really see an advantage to paying TTM prices for this over the Hasbro version. But I can see this set being broken up and sold separately more than I could Bruticus and Defensor, so that's a plus.

11. nstanosheck

nstanosheck Combiner Limb

News Credits:
    I've got to say, I would take Hasbro with ReProLabels over the Takara version. The only one where there is big enough difference that I would consider buying the Takara version, of available separately, is Prowl.

12. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Man-o-man, Mirage and Sunstreaker just kill the US versions (even if i really don't like that mold for Sunstreaker), but the Silver paint on the HFGs on the US ones are way nicer. Don't really see any difference worth noting on Ironhide and Prowl.

no amount of paint can make that prime mold look anything better then terrible though, geez it has the worst proportions ~ really surprised the didn't use the Battlecore tooling to get away from the super Derpy head on the original CW version.

13. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

So looking at these comparison pics, I'm not sure that I really like this more. As someone who doesn't mind the grey feet this Optimus doesn't add much in bot mode (though the silver thighs are nice.) The alt mode is definitely better though. Prowl is slightly better and cleaner though I'm curious as to why neither Hasbro nor Takara wanna paint that elbow piece. Takara Mirage does look a bit better just because of the white combiner peg. Ironhide I actually feel Hasbro did better as the black peg looks nicer than the grey one. And while Takara's Sunstreakeris more accurate to Sunstreaker I do feel Hasbro's wins just by not looking ridiculously plain. Combined mode I like the dark paint on the thighs for Optimus for a Grant Convoy homage but overall I do like how Hasbro's turned out more. The silver paint on the Hasbro HFG's really does look better and I'm actually shocked Takara didn't 1 up Hasbro there and paint the thumbs and fingers as well.
    All in all I'm in no rush to get this one. Maybe in the future for the heck of it, but as is I am for the most part happier with what I have.
    I think if they do Sky Reign I'll be more interested as Wheeljack needs a better paint job and Sky Lynx needs improved ratchets (I'm hesitating in picking him up just because I'm wondering if an improved version will come down the line just like Brawl, Motormaster, and Brainstorm.)

14. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    This is going to be the first UW set I get that I won't use the combined form. Well... rather I'm going to use BC Prime as the torso for these limbs and UW Prime will be my standalone Optimus.

15. Lady Slipstream

Lady Slipstream UwU zone

News Credits:
    GOD IT LOOKS GORGEOUS!!!

(too bad is a Takara Tomy Mall exclusive, if he wasn't, I would had bought it in a Heartbeat)

16. legotron123

legotron123 Child of Primus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So does this version have the updated legs?

17. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Yes it will, which actually makes it the only G1-coloured Optimus that has. It's only CW Optimus and early Motormasters that have a problem in the legs.

18. idkwdya

idkwdya Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Again. Takara makes another combiner set that doesn't look right to me. I can't get over the "cheeto puff" color on Sunstreaker. And all of the paint on Optimus would be hidden anyways in combined mode (with the PE add on chest). That Prowl and Ironhide look great though.

19. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 It's Hot Rod's fault...

Ironhide's black fists look good. Prowl does the flip flop on the legs. Not a fan. Also his forearms are different. I like Hasbro prowl and TT Ironhide.

20. Aurawind

Aurawind Lazy Headmaster

While I will admit that the UW Optimus looks better than CW Optimus, I am quite satisfied with my nonnef ratcheted, reprolabeled and blue painted toed CW Optimus. I feel like the limbs are all pretty similar, but UW Sunstreaker just looks like Kraft Dinner (Mac & Cheese), I actually prefer CW Sunstreaker's color.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice set, but for the price you can get CW versions, reprolabels, nonnef ratchets, blue spray can and even the PE set and still have money left over...

Attached Files: