Takara vs Hasbro Movie Starscream Comparison

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by catz, Jul 18, 2010.

1. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    found a couple of pics here
    kotoys.com/forum/index.php?topic=727.0

the paint added previously obscured details, imo. Looks good, but I don't know if it's good enough to warrant another purchase

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    If I do decide to get this one, and that is a big maybe, then I'd have to find a Buster Prime too. This makes it an extra big maybe.

3. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The arm detailing is nice, but that's the only area I feel is a definite improvement. Considering I got my U.S. version for $36, I'm very happy.

4. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    I know I, for one, am no going to spend twice as much cash on a figure I already own. Lack of tats or no, this whole "Leader Starscream in the Masterpiece line" is a joke to me.

5. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    only thing about the takaratomy one that i really want is that accurate jet mode, i love the F/A 22 raptor and if i got this it would stay in vehicle mode on my computer desk

6. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    uh...no thanks

7. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Overall, yes the paintjob probably is a little better. An extra $50 - $60 better?
    I don't personally think so.

I feel kind of sorry for Japanese Transfans who're stuck either buying this, or paying import prices to get the Hasbro version.

8. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I thought the MP version would at least come with a little more paint detail, but it sure doesn't look like i does in these pictures. This might be the dumbest repaint and price markup yet.

9. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

The only thing that would justify this mark up would be some die cast. Otherwise, us version will get my money. These pictures don't do this guy any good. I'm usually all about the imports but this one is a little lazy.

10. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

The Takara version is good, but I just love those tattoos so much... I gotta stick with the Hasbro version. It's much cheaper too!

I love how this figure is good enough to be classed as a Masterpiece - it says a lot about the quality of the ROTF leader figures, Especially Starscream. It really is the best-looking movie toy yet, and one of the best Leader-class figures in ages (along with ROTF Prime).

11. fa11enwing

fa11enwing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love the realistic colors but I'll stick to my tattoo one. Expensive and I wouldn't know where to display him/not enough room. D:

12. kurdt_the_goat

kurdt_the_goat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's on Amazon Japan for 7141Y at the moment, just a bit more expensive than a standard leader over there. Effectively all they're doing is releasing the premium paint job instead of the standard one, and not screwing over their customers in the process.

13. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Not as big as an improvement as I thought it would be, though I wonder how much of the lighting used obscures some of the details. Deepspace Starscream doesn't look as good there as he does in hand, for one, and the con symbol looks red in most pics. I think I'm going to wait for proper pics before making a proper judgement. I'll still get this one, though. I never really liked the tattoo's, and it'll only cost me 10, 20 euros more if I import this instead of the US leader version.

14. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... was hoping he would be a tad more distinct. The painted head (with teensy 'Con symbol), arm details, and lack of the red chest tab aaaaalmost make it worth the extra cash. But I can't help but think you could get similar results with the Hasbro version and a few paint markers. Then you'd have the mechanical details AND the tattoos, which themselves give it extra detail and scale.

I'm torn.

15. darkfire

darkfire Active Member

yyeaaahhhh this figure aint lookin masterpiece to me at all o_O  maybe as a $60 premium figure..but over 90! noooo...O.O

16. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I don't like the blobby paint scheme and the red decepticon logo on the head.

Seems a bit substandard to call a 'masterpiece'.

I like the silver/gold paint they used on the head and other parts, but other than that the Hasbro seems better in most respects. I think it was a mistake to paint the wiring.

17. imranbecks

imranbecks Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ummm.. With all due respect, the blobby paint scheme is how the real F-22 is painted..

I'm really looking forward to getting this one so I will have both Leader Starscream's from both movies.. And being a huge fan of the F-22, this paint scheme based on the real life jet is just making me all excited to get it.. Can't wait!

18. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really on the fence on this.

I feel like what we have here is a better execution (slightly) of the less inspiring of the two designs.

If Takara had taken on the tattooed version, I think I'd be more excited (not that the first movie didn't need some love as well).

Will I get this? Probably. But I'm way less excited about it than I want to be. I definitely want to see more pictures.

19. imranbecks

imranbecks Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe you guys in the UK and US will feel the pinch getting it with the price difference, but here in Singapore, the price of this upcoming "Masterpiece" movie Starscream isn't much of a difference with the currently available Hasbro Leader SS at the local TRU. The Hasbro tattooed Leader SS is going for (Singapore dollars) SGD110 while the upcoming "Masterpiece" movie Starscream which is available for preorder at specialty stores are going for a retail price of SGD130. So not much of a difference in pricing there imo..

20. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    here we go again.

its not part of the mp line.

it is only expensive to you because leader class figs do not retail for 40 bucks overseas. the average is almost 70. they are considering this a premium paint job hence the small mark up for them, not us.

this figure and paint job was designed, and marketing for the japanese, chinese market, not the us. sorry guys, not everything is made and done with the US collector in mind. hence why most think it is so expensive and not worth it. well prob not since we only pay 40 in the US. Most overseas would prob see this as a fair price.

some people are just never happy or bother to read.