Takara Tomy Transformers 2010 Unicron review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Wyvern, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Hey guys, never done a review before so bare with me. I'll keep the text short and add a lot of pics. after all, a picture is worth a thousand words. If you have a specific picture you may want to see, ask and I'll try to accommodate your specific needs.

First of all, this is a gorgeous figure. The small changes have improved the mold ten fold. The darker orange and gray is awesome. The painted chest is great. The panel lining is amazing. Wish they would have done a bit more of it though. Even the light up hand is kinda cool. It kinda looks like its made of glass.

I would have LOVED to own this figure as a little kid. I could just imagine all the battle scenes I would have created. This Unicron is a MUST for any G1 fan. I give the "Universal Dominator" a 10 out of 10.

GO BUY THIS NOW!!!

If you have the Armada version sell it and get this guy. DO IT NOW!

The pics aren't super great. I don't have adequate lighting or a bight light box that could fit Unicron. Sorry for that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    MOAR PICS!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Comparison shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man he looks so good. I never realized how much sculpted detail he had. Can't wait for mine.

5. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah had that come to the states I would have been highly tempted

6. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Man, that is one fantastic repaint...the new head ain't bad either.

7. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man...I'm so glad I have this preordered..looks really, really good! <3
    Thanks for the pictures!

8. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, you can't have a Unicron photo shoot without him throwing the finger! looks great

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Wow, that's fantastic. It turned out really well. Never realized how much sculpted detail ArmadaCron has without that panel lining. The way they painted it makes everything pop much nicer. Looking forward to him.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's really nice, and if I hadn't already got the Armada one I'd have been all over it, but even a new lick of paint and head aren't enough to tempt me. In fact, I kinda prefer the Armada head over the new one and the new paintjob now looks kinda sparse and dull to me. I know it's more accurate to G1 now but it just doesn't seem as interesting without the little plots of purple and red and the clear parts and the 'wings' being a different colour to the main body to break things up a bit.

11. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Banned

News Credits:
    great pics, especially the one with combiners. Those 3 you have in the pic are the biggest TF's I have and it's great to see exactly how big this guy is

12. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For a moment, I thought, "Wow! His wing joints are actually stiff enough to hold them spread out this time." :eek: 

Then I saw the clear bands. :lol  Well done, though. I'ma try to rig mine up like that when he gets here.

Anyone going to try to replace his head LED with a green one?

13. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Hahaha... I wasn't going to take the pics of him throwing the finger but you just gotta with this guy. Lol.

Yeah, I saw that you requested a picture with those guys on the other thread so I took some pics for you.

Guys, Unicron is way better in person... Get him...

14. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Hahaha yeah. He came packed with the bands on his wings like that. I was going to take them off but decided against it lol.

To tell you the truth, his wings are made from a different material. They're more rubbery this time around. Which is a good thing because it seems that they hold up better. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need the rubber bands to hold up the wings up.

About the LEDs. I was debating on doing it myself but then I remembered that a have zero experience soldering anything lol.

15. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    Glad you mentioned that. I definitely plan on changing the LED to the more accurate green.

This is actually one of my favorite TFs molds. I am very excited to get it and see how much improvement they squeezed into this already awesome mold.

16. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Awesome figure I must admit. I much prefer the painted clear parts on the new Unicron (chest and lower leg planet quarters) and that is the only thing that the new Unicron does better when compared to the Armada Unicron. IMO at least. I also have to mention that IMO those changes don't merit a price tag that is triple the amount needed for Armada Unicron. So my Armada Unicron stays as the center piece of my display case.

17. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I have to totally agree with this. This 2010 one really is nice, but I definitely prefer the Armada version, as it feels more like a proper update.

BTW, what is the name of the little Minicon moon time?

18. Optibotimus

Optibotimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    In case anyone is curious...here's my video review on him :p 

YouTube - Video Review of the 2010 Takara/Tomy; Unicron

All the people, not actually complaining...but saying that one version is better than the other. You gotta understand that this one is designed to look like the movie version. The others are obviously designed to look like those incarnations. The price increase is because this is being sent out to us by Takara. Just like we're gonna pay 200 dollars for a Rodimus Prime from Takara and 50-60 bucks for the Hasbro version. Their always is a big price increase. It's for the exclusivity of the thing. Just like this Unicron. They made it look like the Unicron from the movie...he didn't have those purple or clear bits. I am curious...Razorclaw and Angelwave...how old are you guys? The reason i ask is because on my video review, i've gotten comments from people saying they prefer the Energon or Armada versions...then i look at their profile and i see they're young. Which makes sense why they'd like those versions and not this one. They changed the figure they liked and grew up with.

19. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    On the Armadacron vs 2010 version debate - I said this elsewhere, but, to me, Armadacron has been my Unicron for so long now that seeing the new one is a little jarring (even if he is more 'G1'). I am getting 2010 Cron and he will be standing over my classics shelf. Armadacron was one of the first 'they won't make him! OMGBBQsausce they did!" figs and was the best representation we had for a while - I suspect that that longevity and import are causing some of us have nostalgia for it that fights our nostalgia for the G1 version.

20. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

You got my birthday in my profile page. I grew up with G1, and it shares the same place as BW as the best TF series ever. I love the 1986 movie as much as 17 years ago when I first watched it on the RTL satellite channel.

I'm not saying that Armada version is better than this new one, but the price difference is too much for so little we get. Is the new Unicron '86 movie accurate? It most definitely is. Is it worth paying 200 dollars for it, when I already have a great version on it's own? Most definitely not.

When I look at both of them objectively (nostalgia and finances not taken into account), they're both great. I can't find fault with any version.

Now, if you came to me bearing both of them in your arms and said "Pick one. It's on me.", I would have picked the new Unicron, because it is more cartoon accurate. And that is the only thing that goes for it, really.

It's more a financial thing for me, and I would rather spend 200 greens on new figures than buy a different version of the mold I already have.

PS. I forgot to add I got my Armada Unicron back in 2004 when he was on clearance. 25 bucks baby!! BEAT THAT SUCKAZZ!!