Takara Tomy MP-45 Bumblebee 2.0

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TTemploy, Feb 4, 2019.

1. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    @Dean ML actually it was your post with how to tab in the backpack which changed my mind on the transformation. Mainly because it finally felt solid after that.

@Temp1 yeah I had similar thoughts playing with him. I think that they thought they could do similar engineering with Bumblebee as Sunstreaker then hit the wall and deadlines. I'm guessing the size just limited them way too much. Either way it is still amazing that they could do was much as they did.

• Like Like x 5
  2. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Think size paid a big factor, if alt mode would have been mp21 size, none of these other issues are there. I think that's why I was so disappointed at first, I saw all the unused space on mp21 and expected them to make better use of it on mp45. In reality it's like half the size of mp21 which is kind of impressive when you realize how much more "bot" they got out of it.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree all around. More waist swivel would've been great, he's priced too high/comes with too little, I honestly think the backpack is an improvement over MP-21's despite it's messy appearance, but there's no getting around those heels. Yet, like Sam says, the things he does well he does so well that they more than make up for his compromises!

• Like Like x 9
  4. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish those heels came up a little bit more even with his ankle in the back,rather than sitting at that angle. At the time it was alot but a FT minibot is about $100 and that's just a rifle and a face. They're cleaner but besides waist swivel and an abcrunch on beachcomber, lack most of the articulation of 45

• Like Like x 3
  5. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Would anyone with the Toyhax set recommend getting it just for the blue tinted windows? (not the cellshaded ones, the cartoon blue ones)

6. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

I have them and I really like the look. They were a bit of a pain to put on because some of the windows are tiny and there's a super tiny sticker to fill in the windshield under the wiper in alt mode. I messed up a few of them when putting them on but from normal viewing distance they look great.

Chip Fix.JPG

• Like Like x 13
  7. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    I was planning to make the windows bluer, by buying a pot of tamiya clear blue and painting the inside of them. Probably still will some day. Would be cool if they matched a little closer to Prime’s blue (though I wish Prime’s was a little less saturated actually).

• Like Like x 5
  8. Temp1

Temp1 Well-Known Member

Yeah exactly, it was almost certainly deadlines. I heard somewhere that they might have rushed it so that it could ride the bumblebee wave coming off the movie, which sounds likely. I just think TT should be smarter than that and delay to make sure their $120 Masterpiece figure is up to scratch. They've had a few bumps recently and it coincides with the massive price hike too. MP-43 Megatron had breaking crotch, MP-44 Prime had breaking knees, MP-45 Bee has glaringly unpolished backpack and feet, MP-47 Hound had the worst plastic breakages etc. I love TT but we're only getting around 2-3 G1 moulds a year ...and even at that slow rate I think everybody would still just prefer they take their time to get the design perfect before charging us their prices.

I guess scale does play a part, but if 3rd party legends scale transformers companies like New Age and Magic Square can do great designs at much smaller scale, I think TT should have knocked this one out the park. Still ...all in all MP-45 does look great. it's definitely growing on me more with time.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Temp1

Temp1 Well-Known Member

Yeah exactly, it was almost certainly deadlines. I heard somewhere that they might have rushed it so that it could ride the bumblebee wave coming off the movie, which sounds likely. I just think TT should be smarter than that and delay to make sure their $120 Masterpiece figure is up to scratch. They've had a few bumps recently and it coincides with the massive price hike too. MP-43 Megatron had breaking crotch, MP-44 Prime had breaking knees, MP-45 Bee has glaringly unpolished backpack and feet, MP-47 Hound had the worst plastic breakages etc. I love TT but we're only getting around 2-3 G1 moulds a year ...and even at that slow rate I think everybody would still just prefer they take their time to get the design perfect before charging us their prices.

I guess scale does play a part, but if 3rd party legends scale transformers companies like New Age and Magic Square can do great designs at much smaller scale, I think TT should have knocked this one out the park. Still ...all in all MP-45 does look great. it's definitely growing on me more with time.

10. Bugste81

Bugste81 Ste

_DSC4793.jpg _DSC4796.jpg _DSC4798.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  11. Jdk504

Jdk504 REDWOLF

1.jpg 2.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  12. Bugste81

Bugste81 Ste

_DSC4805.jpg _DSC4807.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  13. Orbitalchaos

Orbitalchaos Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Anyone know a good place to get one for a decent price?

14. BrutiKing

BrutiKing M O I S T

News Credits:
    You can stalk mandarake depending on where you live

• Like Like x 2
  15. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Not going to attempt to white knight here , but , of all those issues you mentioned , Hounds the only one that’s a QC issue. The majority of owners for the rest of those figures had & continue to have no issues whatsoever , myself included. Let’s not blow & ant hill into a mountain here .

• Like Like x 5
  16. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Oooh the Bumblebee thread re-emerges! Must want a photo!

6DB33F10-8540-41FD-A694-BA0541138ECC.jpeg 6D4B335A-C616-42CB-83E3-A60E4BB75BA4.jpeg

• Like Like x 19
  17. Mike Witwicky

Mike Witwicky Loyal Lieutenant

Good pics all around. I finally pulled the trigger and picked this up yesterday. I've been watching reviews and issues aside, I absolutely love the way it looks from the front and in alt mode...if you can get all of the parts flush together, that is.

• Like Like x 8
  18. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

I'm still loving MP-45 and I think he's awesome despite the feet. The backpack really does not bother me at all in hand and I wish more people would give this guy a chance.

I cannot believe some people think the Newage version is better than MP-45. I get that people have different opinions but this really shows me that my opinions are VERY different from fans of this. This looks terrible to me. Sure, it's great for a small figure, but it has way too many seams in the chest and I don't think the feet or backpack are any better. Way more gappy than MP-45. And look at that hinge right on his crotch.

Newage-H25-Herbie-1.jpg

Newage-H25-Herbie-9.jpg

IMG_2222.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  19. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

because newage actually tries to do smth with the feet and back kibble, mp45s back doesnt even tab in properly, its just a bunch of loose gappy shit hangin off him. i really dont get how a bunch of lines on the torso make this worse than the piece of shit disaster mp45 is. the colors and head are way better too
    its also like what, twice as small? obv the bar is lowered for legends figs

20. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I do think the Newage one looks pretty amazing for its scale and gets closer than most 3P efforts to nailing the character's animation design (like a lot of their stuff), but yeah as a direct comparison I can't imagine thinking it's in quite the same tier as MP-45.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 6