Takara Tomy MP-45 Bumblebee 2.0

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TTemploy, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Lemon yellow is close, but off enough you'll notice a difference; it's both not orange or pale enough.

I actually spent a few hours trying to match the exact shade yesterday, unsuccessfully. I look at it, and know it's yellow, orange and white, but I tried multiple shades of each in various mixtures, and just couldn't get it. I got close enough for touchups, but I want to strip and repaint the pelvis, and it's definitely a different color.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

I think they may do the exchange for that, but unfortunately almost every copy I’ve seen including my own has a slightly off-centre insignia so I really doubt you would get a better one. Unless yours is worse than most. Mine is slightly shifted to the lower left but even though I’m a super picky guy with stuff like that, it doesn’t bother me that much. Especially from a normal viewing distance.

Update on my copy: I now have a paint chip on the lower left fake chest window frame after one transformation. I may have been squeezing too hard to try and close that gap in his tail lights. I highly recommend ignoring the gaps in alt mode and not trying to squeeze them closed. I did the same thing to my MP Megs.

• Like Like x 4
  3. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Hey dude, read up on your hip post, and had some questions.

I opened mine up last night, and I couldn't quite grasp the engineering....is the friction of the two yellow hip halves holding the leg mushroom posts in place, while the inner sections of those posts are doing the turning?

I feel like once putting it back together, it's more or less the entire leg assembly that's doing the turning inside the hips. I didn't do anything to my rivets, I merely opened it all up for inspection. I'm fearful for taking it apart again because that lone black screw sucked to get out, and I might strip it if I go at it again. We'll see.

I never had SUPER floppy legs, but they could be a bit tighter, just wanted to hear your input first.

4. Paco Grande

What if you just used a tiny bit of lemon yellow to fill in a paint chip? Do you think it would be noticeable? My copy of Bee has different shades of yellow on different panels anyway so I’m thinking it may not matter.

5. dickenz

dickenz METROFLEX?!?

News Credits:
    Do you give posing lessons Dean? :D 

• Like Like x 5
  6. Paco Grande

Hello, that lower tab in the pelvis that you modified. Is it glued together at the factory? Or just pressed in? There’s only the one screw in the pelvis and @Jarrod mentioned glue inside.

I’m thinking about doing the same thing you did but I don’t want to make things worse. My hips are ok but my waist swivel is crazy loose. I could probably live with it as is but I’m a perfectionist.

7. Jarrod

News Credits:
    The entire assembly SHOULD be moving. If the mushroom part is remaining static, but the rest is moving, that's the problem.

You might also also have too much paint on your pelvis halves so they aren't fully coming together as well.

Possibly. I guess it depends on how much tht color difference bothers you. For me, it's not near close enough.

I've got a order in for 4 different shades of yellow from Mr Color and Gaia, and hopefully one of them will be a better base.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jarrod

News Credits:
    I think it's supposed to be glued. But on both the ones I opened up, the glue was more in the joints. And the halves popped open very easily.

9. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks like a mix of squadron yellow and canary yellow to me. Initially I was going to suggest 1 part red to 4-5 parts yellow.

• Like Like x 2
  10. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I might have not explained it well. It's a bit too difficult to explain in words what's happening. Thank you for trying to clarify, I'll just leave it as is I guess.

11. Jarrod

News Credits:
    Who makes those? I'm trying to stick to lacquer, since the pelvis a chip prone area.

12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Testors Model Master, though I'm not sure if they make a lacquer version

13. Jarrod

News Credits:
    Haha, ok. But yes, the pelvis halves coming together should be providing the friction.

14. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I'll snap some photos for reference later, it'll make my question a bit clearer.

In the meantime, the snapping together of the two halves is what should be providing the friction on the outer part of the leg assembly, SO that the inner part can turn? Is that how it works?

15. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Haha thanks, man! These figures really practically pose themselves! I'm a full-time artist so I'm literally working out poses most of the day, even if it's on paper. One tip I hope is helpful is to act it out and look in the mirror if necessary. The exception there is running/walking because when people do a static walking/running pose they usually do it wrong to maintain balance and have the same side arm and leg thrown forward and same side arm and leg thrown back, but that's incorrect.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Masterpiecefan

Masterpiecefan Well-Known Member

So did anyone else get an email from amazon.jp saying there bee shipped just to get a new email 2 days later saying they were refunded because it was returned due to incorrect address and not being able to be delivered. Which i doubt a delivery attempt was made from japan to the U.S. after just 2 days. Also my address looked fine when i checked it.

17. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're the expert in colour matching, so I defer to your eye, but I have found Tamiya Lemon Yellow to be pretty much perfect for small touch ups. Perhaps it wouldn't work as well if you were painting a larger area, but I've had decent results for the minor blemishes on my copies.

Here's a chip I put in my pre-production copy that has been re-painted:

IMG_3886.jpg

Here's a bit I put on the bonnet after scraping away a paint blob and finding a tiny divot in the plastic:

IMG_3885.jpg

And here's a chip I had in one of mine out of the box:

IMG_3866.jpg

Painted (badly! I need to try to fix this up a little, but it's so small in-hand it's not really noticeable):

IMG_3884.jpg

I'm aware these pictures are taken in artificial light and yellow is hard to photograph, but the colour looks good to me in-hand in all lights.

So for those who, like me, are rubbish at mixing paints and just need to touch up a tiny chip, I think Tamiya Lemon Yellow does the job well. I wish I were better at touching these things up though so that the touch ups were invisible. :) 

• Like Like x 14
  18. Jarrod

News Credits:
    Wow, that's does look great! Definitely looks different under my lights.

By chance what kind of bulbs are you using? I noticed that under my super bright LED desk lamps my mix is very close, near identical, but under other lights only place, it's too orange. I've never had a color "change" so much on me before. Haha

Either way, if you find a paint that works for you, that's all that matters. I'm so anal about it, that I'll keep trying.

• Like Like x 4
  19. crazyman

crazyman Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    20191203_170009.jpg
    Mine came in 2 days ago.

Blown away at how small he is. Only issue I had was his right shoulder was ultra stiff at first but it loosened after a few minutes.

• Like Like x 10
  20. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

Toriyama San would be proud. great stuff crazyman!

It is true, the damn bugger is SO TINY, that really, the whole backpack thing is almost barely noticeable. At least for me. Feet are sure not ideal, but shit, it simply does not bug me at all when I see that it looks as if he came out of the cartoon. I never, in a million years would have thought that we would be getting these figures. Hell, I never thought it was possible.

I look at them and I smile. I smile thinking about all those Sunday mornings when my favorite cartons were on on the tiny TV we had because that all we could afford. TF would come on TV and I was simply mesmerized as to how awesome it was. I would draw, and then color them and cut them. Those were my figures because my family simply could not afford to buy the real things for me. I actually remember getting a KO Defensor set. It was shit, much like newer KO's and KO's in general will always be to me. It was very disappointing. I told myself that I'd never buy KO's of anything simply because they're shit and that the real thing will always be better. These things are made with love, and the fact that some dick-less fucks are out there stealing other people's work is sickening.

All of that is now making me appreciate these things even more man. I'm floored and fucking excited as to what is coming next.

The fact that the same guys that were around in the 80's making these things are now making the perfect versions is insane.

Haters can hate all they want. Their noise will never make me not smile at my collection.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 6