Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the bio's true, shouldn't that be more like...

Roller: Optimus dead. I am the leader now! Ah... urrghh!... ack!... fzzzzt... ... <silence>

At least he had his moment. Ok it was even shorter than Starscream's but he still had it. Bless him! :) 

And what about trailer! No love for trailer?! He died too!

• Like Like x 7
  2. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    For me a huge part of the cartoon experience was the voice-acting. It was so well done, truly brought these characters to life, made them feel authentic. I think that's a big part of why I want my MPs to really evoke those cartoon models, because when they do I can hear those Cybertron warriors. Even only pictures of MP-44 speak to me in Cullen's voice, much more than MP-10 ever could.

I understand Hasui's approach, and why it worked for so many people. Some people really did want a blend of a childhood memory of Prime, filtered through modern 'heroic' proportions, with mechanical mecha-like surface details. I was ok with the blended style. The custom Prime I posted pages back was how I 'coped' haha. Same with my custom Bluestreak

[​IMG]

I still got a wow reaction when I took MP-10 out of the box for the first time, it's a beautiful figure, and a fantastic representation of Optimus Prime. But it isn't Peter Cullen's Optimus.

I guess the 'watershed' moment for me was MP-27. Those flat and flared shins on Ironhide were something else. Like @jackisking says, it's like craving something that you didn't know could really exist. Then Shockwave a few months later also made me realise that there was perhaps a real shift happening. And then MP-14+ was announced, and with it the possibility of a Takara MP-18+, MP-20+.
    At that point I needed a break from collecting, felt like a 'reset', and I think it was just the right time. Sold almost everyone, who I've slowly been able to buy back through + releases and/or reissues. Some I'm still waiting for, like a new Starscream. Some are making this year very special - MP-20+, MP-18+, a new Bumblebee.

I bought back MP-10 right before MP-36 came out, but when the latter arrived I realised he had completely blown away the former in every way that I wanted - articulation was a big one, but equally important was how MP-36 could evoke Frank Welker like no other Megatron before him.

I'm not saying the cartoon is flawless. Some of its flaws are charming. I didn't read the comics as a kid, but I wouldn't hold them up on any pedastal right now glancing through them either. Nostalgia is a powerful thing. And those G1 toys...

Who didn't want their Ironhide toy to have a head? I always wished my Bumblebee had a face. That and the lack of articulation were what made me move on from Transformers to GI Joes, 6" action figures - disguised Cybertron warriors nonetheless remaining by far the coolest concept in my mind.
    That said, I now have nostalgia for those original toy designs, despite at the time wishing they looked more like the cartoon. The mind is a funny thing, eh?

MP-44 feels like a homecoming. It's hard to sum it up in any other way. Hasui's path was different, but his end goal still lives on in the MP line now:

"The important thing for me has been to create a MP product through which you can meet yourself from the past, in which you can find a toy you have been dreaming of."

• Like Like x 18
  3. God Orion

God Orion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Haha true that!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Georgii10235

Georgii10235 A member for fun

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm relatively new to the MP game too. I recently came back because the nostalgia just really comforts me and it's really fun to fulfill my childhood wishes. The first MP I ever had was the 20th Anniversary Battle-damaged Prime, and my God has time passed since then. Back then he was $80! Absolutely insane. Of course, like all my other toys it has been broken and forgotten with time. However, when I went to my garage to salvage what was left, there was a bit of joy going through what I had played with as a child. I remembered every toy in there. MP-01 was the one toy I always remembered fondly.

He was big and impressive and detailed. I loved all his gimmicks, the flip out arm panels, the opening matrix and the moving mouth! His articulation at the time was really impressive to me too since the mainlines at the time were Armada and Energon I believe. Anyway, MP-01 came with the Transformers movie and it was the first time I cried to any fictional material. I had the G1 DVDs for seasons 1 and 2, and every time I would play with MP-01 I projected Prime from the toon. I was amazed at how close he looked even if it was still a departure from the original design. The following years came cybertron, animated and the movie. They all tried to look as close to the source material.

As a kid, I didn't know much about the G1 toys and how the toon was made after the toys. So as a fan from outside the 80s era, I always saw the G1 characters as they were represented in the toon and I'm sure a lot of others share that sentiment since G1 re-issues were far and few, arguably still until recently with the success of the Bumblebee movie. Until then in terms of G1, we had alternators and the classics. No toy ever represented faithfully as much as the Masterpiece series had. Even if they were one-shots at the time. So now that it is a thriving line, I and many others prefer this direction of cartoon accurate aesthetic. Since we have always had toys that looked like the actual toon.

We've already had enough 'G1 but not really' type of toys. Much like how the other toys I had captured the essence of the times of their era, G1 was missing the toys which held the charm of characters presented in the original cartoon. When I look at MP-10, I don't really think about Peter Cullen leading the Autobots in the '86 movie as much as I would MP-44. The inspiration is there, but the spirit isn't fully there. The character feels missing, to me he just looks like another cool Optimus Prime toy more than it is something I would look back at and think about the times I enjoyed Transformers as a kid. As an adult, I seek childhood fulfillment, and this toon aesthetic is what I find re-assuring and beautiful.

When I got back into Transformers, joined this forum and discovered a 3rd MP Prime was being made, I was awe-struck. I've never gazed at anything so intimately and seemingly precious to the definition of my childhood, an icon to what heroism is to me. There are many interpretations of Prime, but G1 Prime was the one which started it all, the face of a cultural phenomena. The image of all things good. Not only is the toon aesthetic a lot more sentimental and raw, but it also represents every other toy I've owned, because they've all drawn from G1, it's the root of the franchise and should be depicted as it was. A classic masterpiece.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Digger

Digger Collecting with the goal of no end

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Lol thought so. That’s probably the best age to experience it though.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Primus1998

Primus1998 Professional lunatic

i guess I am the young fart of this place then, yay.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Digger

Digger Collecting with the goal of no end

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Probably. I think there’s one guy here who’s like under 20. But until then, congrats.

• Like Like x 2
  8. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    And some of us have been waiting 35 years, not imagining something like the MP line could ever exist! ;) 

• Like Like x 7
  9. MSWF377

MSWF377 Well-Known Member

I was the target age when transformers first came out. I was 9 when the movie hit theaters. The toys were never that fun to me. They didn’t all look like the cartoon (Ironhide, my god). Most of them could barely move. But I loved the cartoon. GI Joe and transformers were right in my wheelhouse. Loved them. For toys, GI Joe always won. Then, playing on YouTube, I came across that “generations” stop motion video. And I fell in love all over again. The 9 year old in me said “we need these” I didn’t buy any right away. I watched more YouTube videos about reviews and watched the transformations. Then I had some extra money and decided to get MP-10. Just to experience it. And then the avalanche started. I was obsessed. The nostalgia had completely taken over. Plus I just love to collect things. The cartoon is my reference point for transformers and I absolutely love the aesthetic they changed to. Anyways, really looking forward to the upcoming figures

• Like Like x 8
  10. God Orion

Ebay:
    Yes I thought some had been waiting since MP-1 was released because they didn’t even dream of a figure as awesome as MP-44 before 2003. Well I wasn’t anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fenz

Fenz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FB_IMG_1560784143482.jpg Cant wait this pic from official

• Like Like x 30
  12. franpincho

franpincho Hater = Fan

• Like Like x 8
  13. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    3 pages continuous with all praise but no hate ? Am I dreaming?
    You guys are great.
    Sidenote , MP Bluestreak+ comes tomorrow , i can't post photos but will share my experience.

• Like Like x 27
  14. Nate98

Nate98 Member

I totally get what you mean, it's understandable some will prefer the older aesthetic and some 3P offerings instead like Magic Square. But MP-44s accuracy is so amazing and it does feel like the character leapt off the screen and into figure form. Agreed, hopefully, this figure can do that and make many happy, the price is a little absurd but the figure itself looks fun, well made and accurate.

Same, while I always liked the Masterpiece line but never got any figures as I was only in my teens and couldn't afford it but something in me always wanted more toon accurate figures and now that I have an income and that they are releasing more accurate figures like Megatron, Prime, Primal and BW Megs I couldn't be happier. I totally get what you're saying, it's amazing these iconic designs are being fully realised! Also, you make comics? Nice one, do you publish them online? :) 

• Like Like x 4
  15. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    You’ve met your match. Though @Georgii10235 gives me a run for my money.

I just want him. I’ve waxed nostalgic plenty in this thread already, lol. Can it be August now?

• Like Like x 3
  16. God Orion

Ebay:
    Hey this one is actually pretty good! Can’t get any better!

That is how it should be! Everyone just be happy!

Thank you, I could not say it better honestly!

• Like Like x 4
  17. tf_one ebay

tf_one ebay Happy 35th to all the community

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Oh

Oh wow! Great imaging work to give all of us an image of what the MP-44+ will most likely look like!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Dcoleman44

Dcoleman44 Well-Known Member

We are living in the age of wonders, it basically took 35 years to get cartoon acuracy, cartoon transformers MPs, gx-Voltrons, cartoon and movie tmnt and companies other than hasbro making superhero figures like they shot out of your favorite artist. This is a great time. (if you can aford it)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  19. Razzy

Razzy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Eh, toon accuracy is a very mixed bag for me. Some figures I like (Hot Rod), some just seem horribly plain (Inferno). All in all, I prefer more detail on my masterpieces.

For example, the Lio Convoy MP, he just doesn't look like an mp to me, more like an unpainted plastic model kit. At least mp-38 had some colour variations with sharp edges between them to break it all up.

As for mp 44... It looks decent, I guess. The backpack is a huge eyesore and I don't feel nostalgic enough about Optimus to ignore it, like I do with Hot Rod. Plus, the truck mode with the Evasion Mode centre window section is just bad.

Not like it bothers me much, I'm not gonna spend $300+ on a toy anyway, I've set my limit for a single toy at $120.

Still, if you like it, more power to you DNS have fun with it. Just look out for the paint chips. :D 

Cya
    Raziel-chan

20. Dcoleman44

Dcoleman44 Well-Known Member

I get that alot of people have a problem with the backpack but your not going to display it from the back, as long as you don't see it what's the problem?

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.