Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Immutable opponent of negativity

YouTube:
    Agreed. No reason to go around insulting people just because they don’t agree with you.

I really wish TT would go ahead and give us a photo of 36 and 44 together. Perfect opportunity for a Sherman Dam reenactment!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Digger

Digger Spreading peace, love and reasonable explanations

Twitter:
    And like come on, they’re gonna put it on the box anyway. Time is now!

3. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Boy, it seems like a previous life or something, those kitbasher days!

It's really the rise of 3rd party that stopped me feeling the need to create my own figures in order to fill those obscure gaps in the MP collection, and I think we're very lucky that our hobby has such a thriving 3P scene. Having said that, it seems appropriate (in this particular thread) to note that I'm very much against companies trying to out-Takara Takara with their own MP versions of key characters like Optimus Prime. I've lost count of how many comments I've had in my YouTube videos saying "you should use Maketoys seekers instead of MP-11" and other than the fact that I genuinely dislike that design the idea that someone might want to use The Actual Masterpieces wherever possible seems to escape a certain type of person.

I think those 3P Primes look very nice, but I'm not going to be spending money on them when I know the Real Thing is right around the corner.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 6:23 PM
    • Like Like x 8
  4. Prime of Shadows

YouTube:
    Yes. I was actually going to say this earlier when I was crafting my last post, but thought it perhaps a little controversial. There’s just something psychological about knowing that that 3P figure isn’t official.

In my opinion some 3Ps seem to almost match TT’s now-unified G1 aesthetic (I consider it to be), such as Maketoys, but none feel the same as an official figure to me.

• Like Like x 3
  5. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    If you're in U.S, Amazon jp would be the best choice. The price went down to 33% at some point but now it went back up a bit. There's a good chance it will drop again later and you get the lowest price even preorder before the drop. You also can cancel any time before August. Did I mention no down payment required.

• Like Like x 2
  6. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    I bet many 3ps would send you samples to exchange the promotion tho!

7. OptimusTimelord

I don't think it's particularly controversial... well, maybe it is to those who seem to actively hate what TT does. I consider myself to have a decent aesthetic eye, and even though I own a lot of 3P stuff there's very little I can actually point to and say is as good/equal in looks and engineering as Takara... FT Phoenix possibly... Actually I do like the looks of one or two of the rival MP Primes I already mentioned, though I haven't handled them so of course they may be a nightmare QC or transformation-wise for all I know! But that just brings us back around to the feeling of "there's something on my MP shelf that looks a lot like Optimus Prime, but it isn't Takara's Masterpiece Optimus Prime and it never will be no matter how nice it looks" that would nag at the back of my mind all the time.
    You'd be surprised, they don't seem bothered!

• Like Like x 6
  8. BrutiKing

BrutiKing Unexpected

I'll quote that in a few months...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Digger

Digger Spreading peace, love and reasonable explanations

Twitter:
    I can assure you, it will happen.

• Like Like x 1
  10. skywarp-2

skywarp-2 Master of Teleportation

Ebay:
    Actually I own, TE01 OP Leader, V2. He's pretty amazing. Good heft. Good transformation. Looks the part. Not a fan of MP44's price, but the Bot does look good. I actually have no QC issues with TE01. Its damn near perfect to me. I don't know enough about MS01, but I can definitely vouch for TE01. Tho I do still want MP44. But I think I'm gonna have to wait to either get a deal on it, or a KO. The cost is just too much to pay for it, when ive got so much to catch up on.

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 11:18 AM
    • Like Like x 2
  11. BrutiKing

BrutiKing Unexpected

That quote can be used in two ways ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  12. OptimusTimelord

Yeah he's pricey, but I haven't bought any TFs for ages so I'm looking forward to him. Nice to know the 3rd party alternatives are solid; I've not caught any reviews or such, just admired a few photos. Maybe if MP-44 hadn't already been announced I could have been tempted, but as it is there seems little point.

• Like Like x 4
  13. skywarp-2

skywarp-2 Master of Teleportation

Ebay:
    Seems like your mind is made up. But for those who want to look into the alternatives. I recommend EMGO's video on YouTube.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

@OptimusTimelord , really looking forward to seeing what you do with this figure! Any scenes in particular you're itching to recreate? Hope Sherman Dam is up there! Can't wait to do my own homage of that classic scene (again)!

• Like Like x 8
  15. franpincho

franpincho $449!!!!!!!!

Official ALL THE WAY when it comes to Prime.

Would not have it any other way.

• Like Like x 11
  16. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd *love* a Takara Skyfire. I have (soon to be "had") FT Phoenix, and he's great in terms of heft and transformation. But poseability is sorely lacking, and the face sculpt is a little off - as are most 3P face sculpts (not that Takara always gets faces right, but I don't think I've ever seen a 3P nail a human face sculpt). In fact, I'm actually getting rid of all my 3P figures except for Downbeat. (Not that Downbeat is perfect, but I can't be without a Jazz and it's the best we have so far.) I used to want a complete S1 cast; I achieved that last year, and was actually underwhelmed. It made me reevaluate why I collect these figures; I realised there was an aspect of "for the sake of it" to some of them. I also realised that I have never had the same excitement or enjoyment from 3P figures as I have from, say, MP-10, MP-09, MP Grimlock, MP-21, Sunstreaker and so on. (Of course, it's easier to abandon 3P figures now there are enough official MPs to form a decent team on the shelf.)

It's taken me a while to warm to the full-toon aesthetic, and in fact I didn't order MP-44 for ages. But now I have two on preorder and I'm glad I do. He looks truly spectacular. There's always something great about an MP Prime, with the trailer and all of the accessories.

• Like Like x 5
  17. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Siege Jetfire costs half with better articulation. The scale still works for some scenes. Only downside is too much sculpt detail if you want toon aesthetics

• Like Like x 3
  18. DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll Well-Known Member

I put in a preorder as soon as I could.

The price I got it for on Amazon Japan, if shipped today would be $305 and some change.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Prime of Shadows

YouTube:
    I really like this comment. It expresses the sentiment perfectly. I get a different feeling opening an official MP vs a 3P. More excited, maybe. And I agree, most 3Ps don’t get the face sculpt quite right.

• Like Like x 4
  20. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have that on preorder. :)  Although I generally only collect MP, I do grab the occasional other great figure of a favourite character. I really hope we get an MP one day, although scale may make it rather enormous. I mean, when Bumblebee sits inside him, his feet don't even touch the floor...

• Like Like x 2