Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Welp, I did it. I preordered myself a MP44 from Anime Export. Cost me $430 CAD though.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Congratulations. If you change your mind between now and then I'm sure you'll be able to sell him at cost (or probably make a profit) when he's released, since he'll be sold out everywhere in no time.

• Like Like x 2
  3. RetroElectro

RetroElectro Well-Known Member

Another great TT interview. Don't know how accurate the translation is but I loved the replies. Simple & candid designer responses that aren't filtered by company PR or politics. I think that quote above should replace those old deep thoughts with Hasui nuggets as it related to MP back in the day with what MP is today. Not where it's going--where it is. There's also a recognition from the house of Diaclone that the origin of the franchise is the Transformers cartoon.

I see the MP line today being about 2 primary features that the other lines don't have: improved accuracy to a source (screen or real world object) and advanced toy engineering.
    It doesn't mean perfect (especially with G1 S1)--it's the best they can achieve with these 3 in 1 toys at this point in time based on what the market can bear.

It's obvious by now if collectors don't really like the aesthetics of the cartoon or have some negative feelings tied to it, they won't like these G1 MP releases. Other characteristics of an MP like toy and transformation engineering, materials, price, etc. won't really matter as the primary visual need wasn't met. I get that TT moved some people's cheese and everyone processes change differently. To me, those changes TT made has kept the hobby interesting and worth engaging with. To others, it will cause them to reassess what they really like about the hobby to understand if it still offers anything of value to them. In the future I think the premium TF adult line (MP or otherwise) will get simpler or incorporate automation since our demographic will reach a point where we start to get limited with how we can physically engage with these things. But anyways, regardless of the core aesthetics thing today, people still get surprised by transformation details. There's not a lot of hobbies out there populated by a jaded fanbase where you can keep surprising them.

• Like Like x 5
  4. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Ah ha, they have a belly problem though ;)  As you said, need a place to store the snacks.

J/K.

• Like Like x 3
  5. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    He probably won't even know it has Japanese voice samples. For all intents and purposes it'll have a very cartoon looking picture of probably his most famous work on the box. He'll smile, sign and then move onto the next in the line.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Yeah maybe their backpacks are so small because they ate them all!

Anyway, on topic:

I'm guessing the hole on the top of the trailer that the rocket-pack plugs into is exactly the same size as the hole on the back of MP-12:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just wonder about the positioning. The plug looks to be positioned way too high for it to look good on Sideswipe, so the jetpack must have an inner mechanism that adjusts the position of that peg I guess.

• Like Like x 13
  7. GPTF01

GPTF01 Well-Known Member

i now want a repaint done in primal's colors and with those lines

• Like Like x 3
  8. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    He can say Let's kill em all. He can do anything.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    "backpack blah blah blah"

05132dab1c0035748341eb847f841335c8ed54.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Niv3k

Niv3k RED ALERT WOO WOO WOO

News Credits:
    Wow, I might need to start saving.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Same. It'll still be less expensive than a North American purchase.

• Like Like x 1
  13. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    But muh Amazon JP.

14. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I feel like Jon Arbuckle from a scene in the Garfield episode Beddy Buy.

15. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    @Sam You make very strong points on how Grimlock could be improved upon.. It's almost as if TakaraTomy has advanced 30 years in technology since the early figures.. I wouldn't be surprised to see him again considering he's like a top5 character they can sell the shit out of.

It's funny because I had all the Dinobots as a kid, except Slag.. My mum wouldn't get it for me because my god bro had it already and obviously Swoop wasn't available in the UK. Saying that I don't have a big connection to them aside from Slag. I think me never owning him and always drooling over that brown plastic head with the circuitry does something for my nostalgia feels haha.. If they ever did a + Toy version of him I'd pay crazy monies.

I'm wondering also if the hole in the back of the jetpack is for the fuel pump? it looks too small for the gun to connect to

Ok so I'm about to pull the trigger on one figure for myself within the next 20 minutes.. Theres a 10% discount code on ebay UK tonight that ends at midnight.

Do I get a used but in perfect condition & only transformed once Sunstreaker for £78 shipped? or wait for a reissue ..
    Do I get Cordon for £79.87 shipped?
    Or do I get Artfire for £89.53 shipped?

I can't decide!!! I'm thinking Cordon is the one most likely to disappear forever the soonest.. I'm going to try get one MP a month till Prime comes.
    Sorry to derail the topic fellas.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Cordon and Artfire both have absolutely beautiful decos. Between the two, while Cordon has a bit more playability/articulation, Artfire comes with a little buddy.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    My bro had Grimlock, and I had Sludge. Swoop was my favourite from the toon because of Desertion of the Dinobots, so after those three I'd probably get the last two just to complete the set. If and when and all that. Oh actually I also had G2 Snarl that I got a bit later!

Good point about the jetpack, I'd forgotten that hole

Screenshot 2018-12-16 at 23.20.46.png

I imagine it is for the gun but I suppose it's hard to see.

The fuel pump will actually be quite a fun accessory to be used by/with any bots.

£78 shipped for Sunstreaker is pretty good, but then Cordon for the same price is quite sweet too (though I have no experience with him in-hand). Artfire is pretty incredible also haha I'd say just go with your gut!

• Like Like x 5
  18. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    One of he more interesting new bits of engineering that came out of the interview is the skirt mechanism. Having it retract as the leg comes forward and then pop back when the leg comes back. It's either a simple thing or could have potential to be delicate.

Either way it sounds really fascinating and out of the box thinking I'm happy to see from Takara.

8: Another evolution in design is a clean and flat waist.
    Finally able to make the waist flat (LOL). Initially we though of the same mechanism as Megatron. Then we wanted to achieve better articulation without breaking up the sculpt, so this time the waist doesn’t have the articulated front skirt pieces but has an automatic mechanism where if the thighs move up the skirts retract. And we made them pop back up automatically as well.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  19. skywarp-2

skywarp-2 Master of Teleportation

Ebay:
    https://i.imgur.com/yeKsagX.jpg
    When you think about their history and design, from a child's perspective, my belief was that Megatron was built to liberate the planet Cybertron from their cruel creators, the Quintessons. When Megatron encountered Orion Pax, he needed the resources they possessed in order to build up his forces for the coming insurrection. Megatron's mindset was similar to Man of Steel's Zod in that his primary reasoning for all his deeds was in the victorious liberation of Cybertron. However, after their victory Megatron had become a tyrant, who wanted to continue his war campaign across the entire universe. Subjugating all, as a flawed reasoning that peace can only exist thru his rule. Chaos contained. Vector sigma saw this flaw in Megatron's design, his purpose, so with Alpha Trion he helped him rebuild Optimus to be the hero and champion of freedom, to lead the rebellion against that tyrannical element that had corrupted Megatron and other Cybertronians. The factions would soon form after. The tyrannical file corruption manifested as red eyes, while those with blue had the capacity for self thought and rationalization. So when you think back to Shockwave's comments about Megatron being indestructible while Starscream declared himself new leader, it is to the design probably made in part by Shockwave as the ultimate weapon against the Quintessons, while Vector Sigma's take was to create a bot that could take on both Megatron and the Quintessons, with the core spark of Orion Pax, a good and honorable bot, it created a body super strong like Megatron's, but with the spirit and righteousness of a true leader and defender of freedom. Megatron was a war machine, while Optimus was designed to be the future beyond their liberation. The greatest leader and hero to hail a new guided beginning for the Cybertronian race. Until the earth wars, and Unicron. Eventually it was another bot elevated to Prime Status that sheparded that vision. However, looking at the two designs above, the now,similar proportions and it's easy to see there is a Cybertronian ideal of what a super robot would be like. Optimus being a different class, while Megatron being the prototype, military model.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Thanks @Yaujta & @Sam . Appreciate the help fellas!

I pulled the trigger on Artfire. I don't think there's any way in hell I'll be able to get him for that price again as he is sold out at the major retailers.
    A true G1 grail, he represents my first days rediscovering Transformers through these boards & learning of Japanese figures etc.
    I'm confident his buddy Stepper will be joining him in the near future :) 
    I doubt I'll ever bother to get Grapple or Inferno so I'm glad I won't miss out on this mold as his articulation was a milestone in the line.

Trying to keep my collection mostly Sunbow but theres a few gems that are hard to Ignore.
    Used to really want that grey Bape & Eva Prime @HolyCulture has. Also tempted like you Sam to grab MP36+ but I'ma hold off (for now)
    I'm going to need to trade in my MP28 and get MP40 for that Target master now Yaujta haha.

I heard there would be a Sunstreaker reissue soon.. I should be able to get a MISB copy for the same price as the used one I recon.
    Cordon is looking a little unpopular on eBay so I figure I have a little extra time still to grab him later.

Back on topic.

Haha I bet you was as confused as I was back in the day as to why Grimlock had a plastic chair on his back..Yeh we got shortchanged with Swoop over here... I ain't going to lie it would be pretty exciting to see them take the time to show him a little love.

It really does look like the pack will fit on MP12+ will be cool if we get to see that in whatever next magazine comes up.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.