Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm probably a dark path to go down, mate! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  2. opoptimus

opoptimus SUN WUKONG, not Son Goku.

News Credits:
    As much as I love these designer interviews, I have mixed feelings about the recent ones.

On the one hand I really missed the interviews on Hasui and Kobayashi where they were clearly treated as the star designers and Takara's face for the MP line. Starting from probably Inferno it's now more a "faceless" team effort for each project. You don't know who did what on all these amazing, amazing engineering marvels. You can't really go up to them at a con and say something like "I really loved your MP Dinobot, what an awesome design!" with confidence.

On the other hand, this team approach is evidently working for the MP line as I personally think they've just been pumping out one quality design after another. I remember from an earlier interview, in the Hasui/Koboyashi lead designer days they would still have regular meetings with all the other designers from the domestic department to bounce ideas off each other. But I'd imagine it's still not the same compared to having a dedicated team to work on Masterpiece projects. And this also means being to able to work on multiple projects at the same time. I also think having a dedicated concept artist definitely helps; at the very least all the designers would be able to follow one unified set of aesthetic guides. And looking at his concept arts, this guy sure knows his G1! Amazing attention to detail.

The TT designers are god like to me in the Transformers world, and they have my heartfelt thanks for delivering what looks like will be the "definitive Optimus Prime" on a lot of people's shelves, for a long time coming

• Like Like x 9
  3. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For the sake of the forums and elitism I do think it's so much better that we've put aside the ego of certain designers, to just focus on the line itself.

For what it's worth, I'm 100% sure that this has come from Kobayashi himself just as much as the rest of the team. Kobayashi stated in previous interviews that he doesn't like focusing on the designer, that the toy is what's important. He even specifically asked for his face not to be shown in the interview with Figure King on the history of Convoy. He's notoriously shy and humble!
    I have no doubt that he's still the lead designer (makes sense for one single guy to be responsible for doing the techinical drawings and figuring out all the maths of it), but it is also clear that it is very much a team effort - especially when it comes to Optimus Prime. Spitballing different ideas of how to approach him, of what to include, no doubt come from the team sessions. It could have been any of the designers who suggested 'why not move mass from his body to his legs during transformation' - that's the beauty of a team effort. It's probably a reason why a lot of the 3P designs suffer - they don't have a whole team behind them with at least a century of experience between them.

The designer who did the initial drawings for MP-36 and no doubt for MP-44 is Yuki Oshima. A great artist who also did the Japanese cover for the first release of the comics in Japan:
    [​IMG]

As well as the cover of the Generations 2017 book:

[​IMG]

Thanks again to you for refining that translation. I totally agree that TT's team are stellar, true artists and experts in their craft. Their love and passion shines through in every one of their interviews (well worth reading even from different sublines of TFs that don't appeal to you - plenty of stuff out there!). It's heartening to see that true fans are behind the creation of these incredible toys.

• Like Like x 12
  4. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

At $450, I'm perfectly fine with my 1984 G1 Optimus Prime Takara reissue. There's a lot of Star Wars figures/playsets/vehicles that I'd much rather spend $450 on.

I would probably wait a few years and try and pick up a used one, but there are so many KO's out there. Where I'm afraid to buy any used TF Masterpieces.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jhund

Jhund Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Transformers Masterpiece Edition MP-44 Optimus Prime (Convoy) - Entertainment Earth Hasbro’s release , incase you missed it . I believe there was an article about it somewhere else.

But whether the voice clip change is possible or not , it’s really up to their logistics . Since it’s 3 months after takara’s release .

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jasonsmith

I'm betting that Hasbro already has sound files of Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime somewhere. I just hope they are good quality. I'm sure they've used his voice on different things in the past. But I'd hope they still have the master recordings of those. As in the past, they couldn't obviously put a quality sound file in a toy compared to today.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Didn't one version of MP-01 have a sound clip using Cullen's voice?

8. Flesh Creature

Flesh Creature Human Germ

The Hasbro 20th Anniversary with the display base had sound clips inside. Unfortunately, even though dialog from the movie was used, it was not Peter Cullen's original voice delivering the lines:

• Like Like x 2
  9. jasonsmith

I would have been in the market for this if it was around $200. I'm hoping later on they do a reissue and lower the price. Maybe do a cheaper version without any electronics. I know those electronics in these types of toys really raise the price alot.

I was going to get the new Megatron Masterpiece, but decided not to because of the paint and scratch problems. It reminded me of when I had the original Masterpiece Megatron and a tab broke off after just transforming it two times.

10. opoptimus

opoptimus SUN WUKONG, not Son Goku.

News Credits:
    I agree. I have a feeling Kobayashi might have stepped in a mentor role or team supervisor role, to guide a couple of new generation designers (come to think of it he's been with Takara for almost 20 years now! I remember he said his first solo project was Car Robot Speedbreaker which blew my mind!). He did the final pass on MP Hot Rod but Tomoya Miyake was the main designer. But yeah for heavy weights like Megs and Prime it's gonna be Kobayashi.

Yeah, the Kiss Players dude lol. Judging from the drawing style he might've even done the concept drawings for the BW MPs too. Funny thing is he's not a permanent TT employee, which means TT has the budget to outsource concept work to the best in the industry, which in turn may well mean the Masterpiece line has been doing exceptionally well.

You're most welcome. It's actually sort of come full circle for me, because when MP-10 came out I did the Chinese translation the Hasui interview for the Chinese Transformers forum Actoys, from (I believe it was Sydney Y on here's) English version.

• Like Like x 8
  11. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Part of me hopes this first release is a special edition in a way, and that all subsequent releases will be lacking in some components, like Roller or the Starscream parts.
    That may go a long way in justifying the higher price for some.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Electronics and accessories raise the perceived value of toys, but what really increases the price is parts count.

Nice! He's been with TT as long as Hasui, I believe. I'd say all of the older designers end up mentoring the younger ones. Hasui did mention consulting with Yuki and Kobayashi for certain specifics when designed MP-10.

Outsourcing on a big budget projects make a lot of sense.

Are you still using the Chinese forums? I'm curious if their reaction is mostly the same as people's on these boards, with plenty of people preferring MP-10 or finding MP-44 too expensive? I know Transformers is huge over there.

• Like Like x 7
  13. HolyCulture

HolyCulture I'm so much a toon guy that I framed Roger Rabbit.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Extremely great back-and-forth between lots of you. I’m enjoying the reading material a lot!

@Sam you’re quite a knowledgable guy! Keep it up friend.

• Like Like x 7
  14. marioxb

marioxb Well-Known Member

Other than the tape door and some blue paint on the shoulders and legs, Soundwave is about cartoon perfect already, isn't he?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  15. chchchch

chchchch QQ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    He is very close...Besides the colors, I think a v2 would mostly focus on giving him more gently curvaceous legs (to go with Megatron's "seductive thighs" ;)  ), hip skirt flaps, etc....but I don't know if they'll do a whole new sculpt for something so relatively subtle.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Flesh Creature

Flesh Creature Human Germ

It'd be nice if there were a secondary barebones release with just Optimus and no trailer or other accessories other than his rifle and matrix, perhaps, as an option that would be affordable to more people.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Temp1

Temp1 Well-Known Member

That TFS-Express price is actually a pretty good deal considering the prices I'm seeing everywhere else.

It's still crazy expensive but gotta admit, it's definitely more tempting than the $450 + shipping...

Do people think MP44 will have lots of die-cast?

Rubber wheels?

18. Astoriacrew

Astoriacrew Well-Known Member

If there's a domestic release for the U.S. market, Peter Cullen voice-clips are a definite must.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jasonsmith

Yeah, I guess it's close. Still wish they had fixed the issue of the tapes getting jammed.

Actually, I really hope they do Starscream. I've always hated his Masterpiece. They did try fixing him a few times, but I still never liked any of them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. FigureGunplaFan

FigureGunplaFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That Second sound clip.

• Like Like x 8