Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I know...I'm actually curious of what were the reactions in Japan, but sadly I still can't read the language (working on that, but it will take time...).

2. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I don't have to guess...I know for a fact that she doesn't wear any. :drool: 

• Like Like x 4
  3. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe Well-Known Member

From a different thread, I got a couple of Chinese forums. I know that it is not representative of the Japanese audience, but I thought that you'll find them interesting none the less. Also, Google translate is hilarious. It does a good enough job that you could make inferences off of, but the word choice is definitely off.

4. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We'll just have to wait and see.

5. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Thanks, as a funny experiment I'll try to google translate in English and Italian to see what turns out to be the most understandable.

6. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    If Amazon Japan discount extended beyond 40%, then it might be due to backlash.

7. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    From my experience, in the Chinese community, the ones with most purchasing power are usually silent online.

8. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:

Nice.

• Like Like x 6
  9. BrutiKing

BrutiKing Everything, right now, shining in hope.

News Credits:
    I mean, this is Takara’s flagship character, although I don’t expect this to happen, I kinda want/wonder Takara to pull a Bandai.

• Like Like x 1
  10. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    So your guesses are just as good as others, but somehow others are addicts. Got it.

• Like Like x 5
  11. ButtZilla

ButtZilla Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    • Like Like x 10
  12. flynnibus

flynnibus Masterpiece Addict

Ebay:
    First, you don't use the term 'markup' to discuss your MARGIN. Back to the vocabulary comment.

Second, such logic would sink a company, because if you focus on just per unit margin, you can make money per unit and still go broke because you aren't setting your goals on what revenue you need to actually operate. The COGs for a unit are a cost you must COVER - but the delta you lump as some gratuitous markup is the money that actually RUNS THE BUSINESS - without it, you fail. Without enough of that in volume - you fail. Without enough of that in volume - you don't build the next product. Cost per unit is not cost to run the business - and why it's amauter hour to focus only on what someone thinks the product cost to make as what the product should be sold as (or is even the biggest factor). COGS represent a FLOOR of what you should base pricing on, not what you should target pricing on. You set your pricing based on what you need to run the business - if you want to stay in business.

Then look at the lifecycle of the product.. how long must that 'markup amount' FUND THE BUSINESS?

Consumers who focus on sale by sale forget that the only money that the company can spend, comes from that ugly 'markup' (and debt). You think 150 to 300 may be egregious.. if you look at TT's actual financials, over the business, their Cost of SALES is actually nearly 60%. That means their gross margin is only 40%. Then when you look at their NET margin was only 7.4%. So no matter what you think the obcessive markup is... they are netting less than 10%.

While Masterpiece should be higher price per unit figures, they are always WAY lower volume and way higher cost to design and produce. That leads to higher prices, and higher margin requirements for that toy line.

And if you think the price of MP-44 has to do with the COGS difference to MP-36 you haven't been paying attention at all. It has everything to do with market tolerance and sales expectations. The philosophy that has been supported by the management of the toy line for the last 4 years. "how expensive the figure is to make" is an expectation you cover, and a marketing angle you exploit (quality, detail, etc).

• Like Like x 9
  13. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

And he is still here.

14. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    @flynnibus: super interesting, great analytical posts with sound reasoning. Thanks for bringing some sense to the thread (though I'm sure it'll go in one ear and right out the other of a certain individual).

Screenshot 2018-12-09 at 21.45.40.png

Getting closer folks!

Hopefully some Generations 2019 scans/photos will start showing up in a few hours :thumb 

• Like Like x 6
  15. Maglite

Maglite Porkchop sandwiches!

Huh, I didn't realize the MP OP molds were consistently spaced out 8 years apart. I wonder if that's just a coincidence. Assuming the MP line is still around, possible v.4 in 2027?

Not sure what else there would be to achieve beyond what MP-44 is doing in terms of cartoon accuracy, though. Maybe refined proportions and even more articulation. Screw covers? A less pronounced backpack? Or maybe the MP line will be leaning in a different direction by then, if it lasts that long.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Shade 20x6

Shade 20x6 Nemesis Prime

News Credits:
    It seems that you're assuming that production costs for MP-44 will be signficantly higher than MP-36, or that Takara intends to sell far fewer units. I already mentioned why I don't believe the former, and I would be surprised at the latter.

There are a lot of factors in pricing. One of those factors is what you believe the market will bear. Why price something at $300 if you believe you can sell a slightly lesser quantity at $400? I believe that is a major factor here.

Takara has a lot of irons in the fire. The success or failure of MP-44 alone isn't going to sink the company. If it does, then they are severely failing elsewhere.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  17. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    How can we miss you if you won’t leave? :p 

• Like Like x 7
  18. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

And there he goes, completely missing what @flynnibus was trying to say. How long can he keep this up?

• Like Like x 3
  19. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

Toy accurate Optimus Prime confirmed for v.4.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  20. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

You know he's getting delayed right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.