Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Thank you. I am well aware that I walk a thin line between being a grumpy old bast*rd who's overthinking it all and should just enjoy what I've got and trying to fight toe good fight for balance, nuance and well reasoned debate in a world of absolutes (once again painting even myself as the best and the worst thing to happen in the same breath).

I don't like Sunstreaker either as a character or a toys so I cant really comment. However I do understand this, MP-28 Hot Rod and MP-41 Dinobot's backpacks didn't look as bad in person...at the same time though (jeez what is wrong with me) the panel lines, hinges, and gaps on MP-36 Megatron did bother me, as did the hip panels on the vanbros. MP-44 price mean I can't speculate, I have to just go with my gut and hope I get to see one in person some day to make a proper assessment.

I'm ok with MP-29's backpack because he had one in the cartoon and comics or at least he does in my mind's eye. I'm sure you can pull out a lot of screen caps and character models to prove me wrong but I really don't care. Again if I were describing or drawing Shockwave it WOULD feature. Just the way I'm wired up I guess! It may be nitpicking to your eye but to me it's one of a number of issues, big and small, that add up to not liking the figure enough to pay what they are asking. Much like with MP-29 if this were the only issue I might kinder towards the backpack. For me MP-29 was the wrong colour, first and foremost, after that he was too short and slim. Once they fixed the colour I was more accepting of the rest.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BrutiKing

BrutiKing M O I S T

News Credits:
    There's no changing my mind! Optimus must be bought... no matter the cost.

• Like Like x 8
  3. godaiking

godaiking Well-Known Member

4. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Complaining is the right of all sentient beings. No, wait, that's not how that goes ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

To be fair, @Booster Gold , I'm at least equally tired of your posts that tediously detail your "issues" ad nauseam. You're dismissive of the screen caps I posted ("just an excuse"), almost all of which are from sharply animated scenes including The Movie which is near universally lauded for its animation (whereas you make a blanket statement of calling it "lazy" and "bad"), and do not see they show MP-44's backpack is within reasonable limits for an anime homage figure. Then again, that you couldn't see that Shockwave+ is coated in purple paint doesn't do much to give your eye credit.

I'm perfectly fine with the backpack as it's well within the acceptable limits of character model/cartoon accuracy and it helps lend the figure mass and power. It's by far less of an eyesore to me than what we've seen with proportions and compromises on some previous MPs, especially MP-10.

• Like Like x 12
  6. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ALMOST $200... ALMOST!!! I paid about $200 for my MP 10 and BBTS is listing this for over $400, so yeah... almost $200.

Basing on what I paid for mine, of course.

Eh, fair enough.

Obviously we didn't order ours from the same vendor, otherwise this conversation would be much different.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018
  7. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Or its plainess ...
    ...or its panelyness (if it's a word) ...
    ... or the head/face (yes, there's at least one guy complaining about mp 44 head!!!) ...
    ... or the trailer ...
    ... or the alternate mode ...
    ... and how the hell i forgot the ankles???

(BLUUEEEE TEXT)

... so sorry mp 44, but you're just an overpriced piece of shit and you and you mother company shuold burn in hell!
    TAKARA IS SATAN! 11111!!! :p :D 

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

Did you wait until page 666 to rat them out?

• Like Like x 2
  9. flynnibus

flynnibus Masterpiece Addict

Ebay:
    Price changes once you put it in your cart and goto checkout

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sticker price is sucker price Hank Hill!

Seriously, it's hard to fathom why anyone would bother with domestic sellers when there are so many more economical choices this early in the game.
    At first I was surprised by the early price leak, but knew in no uncertain terms that it would easily be cheaper from overseas and didn't feel any need whatsoever to bash a price that I wouldn't be paying.

As an aside, I'm curious as to why we never see many of the people hating on this in this thread in the actual MP threads? Seems like many of the detractors don't even collect official stuff let alone MP's, yet argue it's okay to do so because 'forum'.

• Like Like x 7
  11. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    No, the complaints have been repeated sooo many times (legit, of course) they are eternally ingrained in mah little brain.

12. HnH

HnH MPM Moron

News Credits:
    well i'll see if i will purchase mp-44 when reviews are out

• Like Like x 1
  13. flynnibus

Ebay:
    The main concerns I have with the figure are...

1 - crappy alt mode - but that's what TT is doing to give us the bot and articulation... it is what it is. This guy lives on the toon bot mode anyways.. that said..
    2 - the trailer will likely not be displayed anyways when you prioritize the bot mode.. so is it a waste?
    3 - No english speech... This is the one that I think will haunt me really because if a KO or other release comes out with english speech, this will be a 'hey, its a neat japan toy' but not the one I really want to goto for display

#3 we dealt with megatron on this too, but there a 3rd party filled the gap. I'm leerly another release could address #2 and #3 better and cheaper... and that will be my regret for paying so much for MP-44.

I mean, I already have so many MP-10s in boxes... don't need another one..

14. rikaldomario

rikaldomario Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At $400, what I expect:

Twitter

What we get:

29798853_1.jpg

Thanks all for all the entertainment I've gotten last couple of days from this thread. I can't believe how emotional people get over the internet.

In all seriousness, MP 44 looks great in bot mode. If I didn't have MP 10 I'd be drooling. And I'd be thrilled to get it as a gift, even a KO of it. But I don't like his Truck mode that much, too plain looking in terms of colors and not "perfect" as I would expect from this line.

To me this truck mode is to MP what POTP Leader OP's trailer is to Generations, not good but not that bad.

15. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Wonder if those strips in the trailer are die cast or just painted grey sections? If they are, it'd be a great Diaclone homage, especially if the human figures have magnets in their feet! Hey, didn't one of the listings say MP-44 includes a metal figure stand...?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just noticed that section Spike's standing on ^^^ is the control center flipped down! Not only that, but the surface looks metallic! Can't wait to find out if that's paint or die cast!

• Like Like x 13
  16. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

You know, it is fascinating to me too. But I've come to realize that there's people that make a lot more money than I do (or ever will).

I have a "friend", he makes 7 figures a year. This friend never cares about paying MSRP for anything he wants, he simply can not be bothered about looking for "deals".

He wants the best TV available? he's not waiting for a discount or until the newer model is out so that he could get the "older one" for a better price (which is what I do).

He "pre-orders" cars. Actual CARS. Does not shop around for one, he likes a certain brand, he po's the newest models. That is (or was at least) unheard of to me.

Furniture? man. I can't even.

Yet still, he's well off financially as far as not having debt while doing everything he wants.

I have to assume that there's plenty of those that like TF's, and simply do not care or have the time to find deals on these things. Hell, from what I see him DO, those people do not have the time to even post on boards.

BBTS and the likes would not be selling these if they didn't know they had a market. Different incomes, lifestyles, etc.

To me, it's always insanely interesting to even get a glimpse on how the 1% think.

I know I'm way off topic but it is the only way it makes sense to me. Not only when it comes to TF's.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I know at least two people like that and it always boggles my mind as a deal-shopper.

I was particularly looking at the people that are still stuck on the $500 argument and don't seem to understand they aren't being forced to pay that much and can indeed find deals now.

• Like Like x 6
  18. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

Poor Joel at BBTS needs the cash?

lol, I don't get it either.

I try to contribute to the economy when I can but fuck you if it's going to hurt my wallet.

• Like Like x 5
  19. flynnibus

Ebay:
    Thing is... both sides are right to a degree. The problem is arguing absolutes.

The price is way cheaper now (during pre-order) - but will go back up again when the pre-order is done. So as much as people who say "its $330 not $450" - that is true, but only for a limited time... just as people who argue "its $450" are right, but it's not the only price it's available at.

I'm still amazed that every single MP thread is 1/3 discussion of "how to buy overseas..." - it's the same every time. It really needs to be boiled down into a one page thing... split by which region you are buying from.

• Like Like x 3
  20. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Don't think that's true. MP Cordon was available at its discounted price for a while after release. Pretty sure MP Megatron as well.

You might be mistaking this with 3rd party sellers. Amazon does sell out and if you happen to come in when they've sold out, you see "higher" prices from 3rd party sellers.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.