Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Will be updating first post tomorrow!

2. fpjones3

fpjones3 Well-Known Schmuck

Just want to add my two cents: it's not about the budget, nor is it about the inability to save up for it, it's about getting (my) money's worth.

Case in point: I was more than satisfied with Arcadia's GBP-1 compared against MP-36 ($220 vs $200). TT's quality just isn't the same anymore.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Optronix1087

Optronix1087 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Not rude at all. I guess my basic stance isn’t that you cannot complain but you could have seen this coming. I didn’t even blink when I saw the price.

It’s partly on the fans anyway since MP-01 when we all demanded the trailer. Since then it’s been expected and now many complain at its inclusion.

Also on the 3P side we’ve shown Takara and Hasbro we don’t mind dropping lots of money on lots of figures. It’s been said before that they get free market research because of 3P.

• Like Like x 1
  4. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

I did see it coming, I even guessed it would be "400 or more" but most people at the time saw WWI coming, didn't make them cool with it. Not that this is at all comparable to that, it's just a convenient example to help articulate my point.

I agree, that's part of why I'm kicking up such a stink about it, in my view we've given them too much lenience and it's given them the greed and arrogance to try this and I think they need to be shown that we (the western fandom anyway) aren't cool with it.

Yeah, I think that's the only reason HasKara haven't sued them into oblivion. To quote Thew "How's 'it's not Devastator, it's Hercules' going to hold up in court?"

• Like Like x 2
  5. RetroElectro

RetroElectro Well-Known Member

Ok, if you're the type that puts these MPs behind glass, on display shelves, on your work desks, in your man caves then you're associating a similar perceived worth to these things that a "normal" person does with art. When you've treated these toys in that way you've now entered the world where their value is subjective based on the individual. In that world objects can cost millions of times their actual cost. Let's also not get silly and compare the cost of these toys to real products and services that function to maintain your standard of living. A $100 toy vs $400 toy are both equally stupid by that metric. Pot meet kettle. All of these "adult collectible" toys are designed for people with too much free time and money.

If you want to ignore the subjective space and go by the actual costs to TT then all we're really doing here is speculating. We don't know the weight of the package, number of parts, materials used, or QC done in the factory. By now, everyone knows companies can give us whatever info or photos they can to hype the product, but the real story won't be known until in hand reviews from normal people like us come in August. And even then, you can get unlucky in the QC roulette wheel. So anything else at this point is just speculation and hysteria in the absence of any real info from TT. I would love if the scene got to a point where we had "tear down" reviews of these products like you see in consumer electronics. I think if people could visualize the unassembled parts of say MP39 to something like Fanstoys Willis we could start to understand what the assembly costs could be for one vs the other. We complain about how complex these things are to transform. Imagine coming up with the assembly process for it and then the kind of skill you need to assemble these tiny pieces at a fast, repetitive pace.

Yes, the cost of these things have gone up but I don't think it was MP44 that set the precedent. You can thank Hasui and BW fans for that. MP12 showed that the fanbase would pay more for TFs that had a licensed alt mode vehicle smaller than binaltechs (meaning less materials) and were all plastic (meaning lower quality materials) as long as the robot mode had a high level of sculpted details that were sourced from the Sunbow cartoon character. ANd the fanbase lapped up the reissues and repaints of that one. MP BW fans were the ones that showed the current marketplace will buy single MPs that are over $300. TT is just acting based on the data that was already given to them. But hey guys, it's all good, I aint complaining.

• Like Like x 4
  6. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

These is where I'm at, like reading the movie forum after RotF premiered. Everyone yelling the same opposing points at each other over and over again.

• Like Like x 3
  7. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I couldn't get him. I can't even get the MPMs I want now. I have to feed my family.

• Like Like x 2
  8. franpincho

franpincho Hater = Fan

Things will get better, and priorities are just that, priorities.

There will always be crap to buy later, you’ll be fine.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

The same as what/when exactly?

- The MP bird bots with brittle plastic on their wings and tail fins?

- The Datsun brothers with wonky hands that can’t hold their weapons straight and innumerable reports of paint defects?

- MP-10 with stress marks around his window hinges (among other things)?

- MP-20 with cracks in the bottoms of his feet for some people? (I was one of them, but didn’t know it until someone else pointed it out on their copy)

I could go on, but I feel like I’ve been down this road before. There is no QC heyday in this line I’m afraid - but for the most part I’ve had good experiences with the vast majority of my MPs.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rockdown

Rockdown Persecutor in chief

Ebay:
    Lol!!!!! I can assure you that the paint and accessories did not cost Takara hundreds of dollars. The extra cost is mainly from the greed/profiteering component.

No shade to Takara they can charge what they want.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land"

News Credits:
    Hmmm...I knew you’d start to come around eventually :p 

• Like Like x 3
  12. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

I really don’t want to be “that guy”......but why are more people not upset for this price but $20 deluxes are reason to leave the hobby?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  13. snoopcow

snoopcow Mold hoarder

Crack addicts never leave.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Trailbreaker26

Trailbreaker26 Shields... SHIELDS!

Instagram:
    I agree with everything Xaxis states in his post quoted below. I also agree with others who believe that the increased complexity in MP design and engineering that we’ve seen with Megatron v2, Sunstreaker and now MP-44 is the company’s logical response to the community’s episodes of outrage over past design compromises like Ironhide’s hip panels and Ultra Magnus’ exaggerated butt flap.

Collectively we demanded a greater degree of design accuracy, and now we’re getting it, along with a higher price tag.

Personally I can’t wait for Hound, Trailbreaker, Huffer, Brawn & Gears. They were my favorite Autobots. I fully expect to be blown away by their designs and transformations— and most likely also their price tags!

• Like Like x 8
  15. Creedog

Creedog Well-Known Member

Here it is plotted. I can assume from this list that MP Hound is going to be 20,000 yen+.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  16. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Oh.

Wanna meet up for sushi? ;) 

• Like Like x 6
  17. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Oh, but I haven't caved just yet :cool: 
    AmiAmi, HLJ and AJ would have to have some damn good discounts for me to break and buy MP44.
    IF Ami has him for near what AE said they were going to sell him for (35,000 yen), and my points are enough to drop him to under 300, I MIGHT get him.

Otherwise, I will admire from afar. :) 

18. Agent 539

Agent 539 Blackrock Gas Attendant TFW2005 Supporter

Same. I was just posting both pictures to show what I paid and when I paid, which was close to the opening of the pre-order. The second picture is to show that pre-orders are still open.

19. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    I think MP 10's cab mode looks better.

This thing just looks unfinished with that simplistic cartoon color scheme.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Heh, once again no harm done. You won't go on my (very short) ignore list becuase you done nothing to deserve it! I enjoy reading your posts, I just think we often end up talking a cross purposes. Like I said, maybe it's me..maybe I'm the one not making sense...it's entirely possible!