Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Ebay:
    A 2' robot won't scale with my other bots, no matter how much blow he comes with. ;) 

2. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Dude ? You didn’t include the collector grade ! ( I got 1 standard , one collector )

3. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Takara's pricing has been creeping upward for like two years now in a way that was less about inflation, parts count, better engineering, or loads of cool accessories and more about seeing just how much cash they can wring out of their fanbase. I'd love to imagine that, between people who were still cool with MP-10 and two upcoming 3P efforts that are shaping up pretty well that this could be the point where even the most diehard fans say enough is enough... but we all know MP-44 will sell anyway and it won't be long before we're bitching about an MP Rodimus Prime 2.0 or an MP Starscream 3.0 hitting the 1k mark.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    AmiAmi or Hobby link japan. (i use these two)

• Like Like x 1
  5. RustedCross

RustedCross Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Hasbro were to release this in the states in a year,would you expect it to be cheaper?

• Like Like x 2
  6. CigarJackal

Ebay:
    I had said it jokingly in the MS Prime thread, but it could be real.

Could TT be looking for a way to bow out of the MP business without losing face? By increasing prices they could drive the majority of customers away, and then justify dropping the product line (I have done similar practices in my line of work).

That would allow them to yield the MP market to 3P while retaining honor. I have no idea what their cost structure is and how much of their profit is represented by the MP line, but if they want to focus their business on a more profitable, higher volume CHUG business, and no longer have to deal with marketing and distribution of MP, it is a viable strategy.

7. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

I was already interested in seeing a KO of this for a lower price, but now that interest has gone from "I'm a poor student who still wants it" to sheer spite.
    *hits blunt* he couldn't fight back because it was the beast wars

8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    How do they make the money back on the tooling then, if they create and price something that won't sell?

9. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOOOL. Glad I stopped collecting MPs years ago. Was not happy with the fanwank catering to 100% cartoon accuracy, even where it is just repeating lazy animation-saving techniques like Prime\'s disappearing wheels on his feet, or lack of detail. So this will be about quadruple the price of MP10... despite being the same size, not as nicely large as MP01? Nah thanks. I recently got the MP01\'s trailer edition, that will remain my go-to Masterpiece Prime. Takara likely stopped trying to even cater to western audiences - I know people in Japan will pay this price, after all, the various masterpiece-level quality giant robot toys they make for other franchises sell for similar prices and there is a collector base for these there. 

10. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Setting yourself up for disappointment. eBay sellers have NEVER given a 20% discount out of the gate. Didn't happen with Megatron.

Not sure where you are but best bet for US buyers is Amazon Japan.

• Like Like x 1
  11. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

For all the money I'm paying for this guy he'd better be able to do all the stuff he does @ 0:37 of this clip by himself when he gets here otherwise something bad is gonna happen;

• Like Like x 3
  12. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes; features significantly trimmed probably, but still yes. Can't see an MP selling well for above say $250 at Entertainment Earth, etc.

13. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

I went ahead pre-ordered it from BBTS, but I'll likely end up cancelling it as it gets closer to that arrival date. Ugh.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Well that\'s settled it. Not buying. If I\'m spending that much, I\'ll get a few MPs, or get one of the 3rd party offerings. 

If they offer a bare bones version with just the figure, I may be interested. 

• Like Like x 1
  15. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    Nope.

16. Roadbuster25

Roadbuster25 Well-Known Member

The $400 USD doesn't seem correct. I know the news article is saying it is, but I still have doubts. It will be ironic if this figure is a new scale, making all the other MP figures obsolete.

17. CigarJackal

Ebay:
    Many retailers will still buy a minimum order quantity. They may or may not make back their entire investment, but for that small loss, they can abandon a line that is more trouble than it is worth. It is not uncommon to drop a low performing product line in a similar manner, and still not look like you are turning your back on your customers.

18. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^^+1 on that possibility :thumb 

19. CigarJackal

Ebay:
    I got an ad from TFSource today with a $449 quote.

20. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can’t have it both ways. This is a discussion thread about the figure. The obsessive Fanboys have monopolised the thread with dozens of random digibashes and constant speculation and flag waving over how amazing the figure would be, all based on the scarcest of news. Anyone who dissented was chased away with insults and flaming.
    Well now there is another piece of news about this figure and more discussion. Unfortunately this discussion is negative. But it is 100% legitimate and justified.
    If someone can post a hot pink digibash of MP-44 and that be considered a legitimate post, so too are posts discussing this price.

• Like Like x 11
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.