Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

Those look like double-jointed elbows to me!
    Hmmm.... double-joints....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. RustedCross

RustedCross Well-Known Member

Here is the back side...;)  J/K

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  3. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Right on, bro! Years ago I started customizing my Classics Prime and part of that plan was to fill in the faceplate’s extra detail so it would be flat like the Prime I know and love. I’m glad I won’t feel the need to do that with this version.

As for the gun, ever since Sam posted that Kobayashi sketch I’ve been waiting to see if the storage gimmick would be included with this version. I even commented then about that being likely since it was an idea that predates MP-10.

I’m stoked about this Prime, and very curious about his transformation!

Activate the @Liampope Signal! Time for a transformation breakdown to help us through the next few months! :D 

• Like Like x 4
  4. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    Hm... nah, still a pass.

Way too much visible panels and hinges and stuff, a vehicle mode that turns inside out for a robot mode that's not that much better looking than MP-10 to me.

I’m very happy for everyone who likes this, but I'll just stick to the Prime I already have.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

Shhhh...<if we whisper, maybe no one will notice.. >

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Off topic, but "Sunbow artists" did not animate Transformers (or other Sunbow produced cartoons). The bulk of Transformers animation was handled by Toei (a Japanese studio), whose work ranged from average to excellent, but an unknown Filipino studio also contributed (their work ranged from average to poor) as well as the infamous Korean studio, AKOM (whose work ranged from barely acceptable to shit-hideous). A lot of Toei's episodes were beautifully drawn, though, not just The Movie.

• Like Like x 9
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP #VernoWasRight

News Credits:
    Fuckin' got 'em, bro.

• Like Like x 5
  8. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

I am not slave to toon accuracy. I want my MPs to look like the toon, but, y'know, better.

I am into this for cool figures, and this new Optimus looks pretty darn cool. And certainly not as bland as the toon. So, nice job.
    I still bet this is gonna be painted in a way I do not like. Y'know what I like?? MP-13, Soundwave.
    MP-13 Soundwave is the reason I got into MPs after the reboot. Soundwave will be taken from me when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
    MP-10 matches MP-13 in its deco, and I believe this one will not. So even though I like the sculpt, I bet I will not buy it.

Not until they make a + version that has silvers instead of what I'm sure will be whites! So, see you all again in about 2 years or so.

• Like Like x 2
  9. gigtigre

gigtigre Well-Known Member

It somewhat reminds me of potp prime.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    We know you don’t like it. We know how you feel about fake parts and the simplistic animation models.

I always viewed things like the hidden wheels as part of their transformation, part of them being “robots in disguise”. Regardless of the reason, that’s what G1 Optimus Prime’s animation model looked like and I think it’s fantastic that there will finally be a high-end transforming figure that captures that design.

Even MP-10 hid the wheels in bot mode, and not in the most aesthetically pleasing way.

This isn’t your idea of a worthwhile figure, and that’s okay. Considering that we literally had pages of discussion with you about that, it seems that you’ve said your piece and made yourself clear. Your continued posts repeating that are just as unnecessary as you feel the faux parts on this Prime are. Hopefully you’ll have something more interesting to contribute to this discussion.

• Like Like x 10
  11. Mistakemus Prime

Mistakemus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    CDE48F05-9369-4EDA-B2CA-387F3E88B16D.jpeg Quick digibash I made, a little rough around the edges but I’m happy with it

• Like Like x 8
  12. warhide

warhide Deceptcreeps Smasher

still no better than MP10, just different. Looks better next to Megs? still up to the eye of the beholder. Looks cool to have a more articullation, and I hope for the sake of all your cartoon ocd lovers that this one comes with bright blue eyes. if i have the money for it in time I may get one for my collection, it will look col as a deskbot. My Mp10 will rule my MP shelf forever, since he was my very first MP :D 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pichomp

Pichomp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The front looks so good, I don’t care if the back looks like this.
    02A950BB-4468-4C9E-8832-7171DF71E6AB.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP #VernoWasRight

News Credits:
    Technically yes, but aesthetically and proportionally they match whereas MP-10 doesn't.

• Like Like x 2
  15. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Because it's Optimus. We all knew this was coming. I'm not too thrilled about it either - I'd rather they use their time to make a .... well, anybody else.
    But c'mon. We certainly can't be surprised or miffed about them doing yet another Optimus. That's like getting pissed at the sun for being warm. It's the essential nature of Transformers toylines to make Optimuses, and plenty of them.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

People don't appreciate the things they like becoming obsolete any more than they appreciate becoming obsolete themselves, so they have to reaffirm that what they like is still relevant by tearing down the alleged replacement. Keep in mind that the opposite happens as well, and these two things probably contribute to half of all the fights on this board.

• Like Like x 10
  17. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator

News Credits:
    Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Hmm. Looks like the only thing I’ll be focusing on now are all fans toys releases this year with their versions of Cyclonus, Sixshot, Mindwipe, and Chomp. Plus Prime 3.0, Dinobot, BW Megatron, Cordon, and toon Shockwave. Got a pay raise and may just shift to slamming down my student loan and save up for my parents in case they may need emergency money. But so far they are ok. Weird how I keep shifting in choices. I got Delta Magnus, Primal and Cheetor masterpieces. So I’ve been getting good figures lately. Prime 3.0 looks to be good. All the fake panels are done to maintain cartoon accuracy and realistic truck mode. So they’re doing what they can do balance those designs. Seems like a wise choice and the fake paneling can stay since it works.

• Like Like x 5
  18. XIII

XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First off, he looks good in bot mode and he looks good in truck mode.

So, after reading about a dozen pages, I'm clearly in the minority in that I hate faux parts and could give 2 rats asses about slavishness to a cartoon at even when I was 10 years old thought was pretty crappy. There is SO much faux here that TT might as well sell a non-transformable bot with a non-transformable truck. I highly doubt it will replace my MP-10 and Mp-10b. I own TT Sunstreaker and am still using Omnigonix Spinout in my display and the official one is packed up in storage.

I have TOO many MP's in the original aesthetic to replace things now. If the line was like this in 2004 when it began or if there were no 3rd party alternatives, my opinion wouldn't be so skewed. It use to be that there was one version and that was it. We didn't have the choices we have now and now we are all spoiled. I'll probably still get this but, like I mentioned, I doubt I will be replacing MP-10 with it or even displaying it. I do not feel it represents what Masterpiece means to me which is "balance" between toy and toon and not cheating on the engineering to be slavish to one OR the other.

That said, If they paint all the chrome/silver as white... I'm out. We ALL know that the cartoon used white/grey to represent silver because. We all know you cant do metallic paint on animation cells. We all know Sunbow made ALL kinds of paint errors and didn't do any shading. Toei did shading in the Transformers Movie back in the 80's so we know it COULD have been done. I've seen the digibash colors with the white pelvis, thighs and smoke stack and it looks wrong. I would like to buy in on this but there are too many things going against it for me.

OK, I'm done with my rant. All of the above is my own opinion and you are all entitled to your opinions too.

• Like Like x 2
  19. JoshimusPrime1993

JoshimusPrime1993 Rev up and Roll out!

News Credits:
    This is looking pretty good. The more images that pop up of this figure, the more I just want to get it. 

• Like Like x 1
  20. CobraKai

CobraKai Well-Known Member

Oh I intend to thank you very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.