Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    The holes were the screws go into may have been worn down, so the screws have less tension to keep them in place. Same thing happened to my MP-01 at the waist. I haven’t tried yet, but I think threadlocker may help. I’d ask anyone who’s tried it to be on the safe side though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

Ebay:
    Would ptfe tape help bulk out the screw?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robotmonkeys

Robotmonkeys Sons of Cybertron

Ebay:
    @Dean ML , bro, this looks so rad! The level of pose accuracy to the source material is uncanny! The 3rd storyboard pic is my fav. You captured Prime’s sense of desperation and grit.
    Pure eye candy!
    Thank you for doing this.

edit: you’ll have to continue with the scene with Starscream V3.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  4. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The look of this guy has really grown on me, that paint is so nice. I'm kinda waiting to see if a re-issue could fix the possible knee issues. What do you guys think is likely after nemesis Prime? Would they do another full MP44 release or a trailerless Prime in regular colours? Or will I have to wait for them to cycle through Ultra Magnus, Shattered glass etc before he gets released again?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Robotmonkeys

Robotmonkeys Sons of Cybertron

Ebay:
    Maybe a re-release, like they did with MP Megatron, but my money is on a + version with the toy deco.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

A re-release (2,3,4,5...x) are more certainly than the death

7. Memph99Q4Ev

Memph99Q4Ev Well-Known Member

The KO will be out soon; Bens Collectables has the review Oh calm down, I have the original too! Crazy ppl...

I think I'm gonna get the KO MP44 as a 2nd copy. As much as I love the fig, $350.00+ just to have vehicle mode is a bit much, especially since I won't need 2 trailers. The KO doesn't come with one. I was gonna get TE01 for my truck mode originally, but I prefer MP44 overall. Plus, the trailer doesnt connect.

This way I'll have 2 rifles, two battle axes, a separate jetpack for Sideswipe and one that can double as Starscream in disguise considering the KO doesn't have paint and "dead eyes" (perfect look for an "imposter" Prime). This way I can mount the real Starscream head on my Walmart Starscream for good. Also, the bootleg MP44 has LIGHT UP BLAST EFFECTS!!!

I usually don't do KOs (bleh!), but seeing real Prime take on a muted Starscream imposter, having a cheap veh mode option, and light up blast effects feels worth it. It almost makes the fig it's own like Magten Meg. I'll never have to xform my real Prime, keeping the joints tight with limited paint app blemishes. Finally, have replacement parts if something does happen with the real MP44!

Now, I wish I had jumped on that Magten Meg that was out per the classic chrome paint with the red inner legs. Oh well, maybe I'll catch one in the future!

Also, for those who cheered that they couldn't wait for a KO Prime to hide the red in it's ankles, and get rid of the backpack, and all that; sorry, it's all still there. The only real plus is price, less paint to get scratched (if that is a plus for some), and the lightup blast effects. Sorry, it realy didn't do much different. The plastic is different, though, and it didn't seem to have the knee issue, so I guess that counts. No trailer or figs, though, so for diehard collectors (or those of us that are older and want all accessories), this wont help. Thats too bad, though; I need to replace my Carly!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Memph99Q4Ev

...also, the KO is a great way to do a custom paint job like "no armor" Ultra Magnus, or a toy deco....

9. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Yawn.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Memph99Q4Ev

...coffee; works every time.

• Like Like x 5
  11. God Orion

God Orion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Impressive work! Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

I've taken Prime's hips apart so many damn times to fix something or another that I stripped a couple of screw holes as well. To fix them I put a small dab of superglue on a toothpick, inserted it into the hole, and moved it around, making sure I only spread a thin layer inside. After drying, viola! The screw tightens properly again! Just to only add a tiny bit of glue at a time. Just enough to let the screws grip into the insides of the hole but not enough to stress the plastic when you insert the screw again.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:

Good for you but why are you posting it here? There's a thread to talk about the KO. Are you selling one or something? :lol 

Yeah I think Onilink's right here. It's a question of when, though. Megatron got a release 9 months after release, like many MPs that sold out their first run (Ironhide, Sideswipe etc). In the case of Optimus Prime, I guess they made sure they'd produce enough not to need a second run so fast.

I think that a straight reissue is likely in a year or two. I think when they do make an MP-44+, it'll be a TTMall exclusive, and I don't think it'll affect the main release schedule too much. Hard to be sure which will come first, but having repaints shouldn't affect the rerelease of the regular version too much. They'll release it when they decide it's right.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

To be clear I’m against KO’s.

I just checked out Ben’s review of the KO and I can’t believe how bad it looks with no paint and the dead eyes. The Matrix isn’t even painted. The painted blue eyes are one of MP-44’s best features so removing that paint is bizarre to me.

My opinion is that it wouldn’t look good even as an alt mode display because the best part of MP-44’s truck mode is the red shiny paint.

On the plus side my opinion is that the KO proves that Takara isn’t ripping us off as badly as people first thought with the price tag. To get to a KO acceptable price tag they had to remove the whole trailer and all of the paint including the eyes. It would be interesting to see a KO that truly matched MP-44 with the trailer and all the paint just to see how low they could go with the price.

I do hope that at some point Takara produces a version of MP-44 without the trailer so more people could enjoy this figure. I would also love a second copy of just the cab for alt mode display. I doubt that will ever happen so for now I’m getting MP-49 for alt mode display.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  15. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    and then you forget the ppl that needed to design the damn thing

• Like Like x 2
  16. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    1E1F9230-A004-4C0D-B2F8-355AF456E1A6.jpeg 97A0872A-657F-4311-89CC-E7D2F3D94105.jpeg
    You can jam it in there but then the door won’t close and then it’s really hard to get back out (thank goodness for spudgers!)

• Like Like x 10
  17. TFC201482

TFC201482 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Hey! I just tested this for you! It sorta fits in there but you can't close up the chest. Feels a tad bigger then the one MP 44 comes with. Hope that helps!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  18. divinecomedy

divinecomedy JAB-A-WOOOKIE

News Credits:
    No way they will reissue with so many Western retailers still holding stock.

19. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Hey what are the odds we both do it within a minute of each other! Hope you can get your matrix free again! I learned that the black piece it clips into is also removable

• Like Like x 1
  20. TFC201482

TFC201482 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:

Yeah, I was amused as well! I saw the dudes post yesterday and realized I had prime in truck mode so I had to transform him again to figure it out.

I also ran into the exact same issue. I placed the matrix in the chest, gave it a decent press. Tried to close it up and turned out to be a no go. Went to get it out and was like, "Shit!" Haha. Had a pen near by so used it to pry out the matrix and then I also learned that the black piece with clips can also pull through. I guess if one wants to avoid that, a small dab of glue could help.

I wouldn't advise anyone else tho to use Shadow Fisher matrix in MP44, unless of course your keeping the chest open for display. :) 

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.