Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodParticle

GodParticle Well-Known Member

I found a video that recommended this gummi pfledge stift rubber protectant. Gonna give that a try on 44 so hopefully his tires take longer to disintegrate, unlike my mp-10. Someone should make plastic 3d print tires that can snap on

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:

Just wanted to mention how amazing the full coat of paint looks here. So glossy, love how it reflects the light and brings the entire sculpt to life. Let's not forget those Sinatra blues, right? Can you imagine if Takara had left this bare plastic and with unpainted eyes a la MP-10?

Gotta say I love the outline insignia too. Still bummed that Smokescreen, Ironhide and Sideswipe didn't have it while Inferno and Red Alert do.
    Also really happy with how the chest glass is just the right amount of frosted so we aren't distracted by the detail behind.

Even though there's a bit of looseness in the abs, I'm thinking maybe it was a trade-off to allow the chest to sit just deep enough into the pelvis? I swear, just a mm or two higher and the white space under the grill really would be too noticeable.

I know the Peter Cullen clips aren't directly from the cartoon, but I'm glad they were able to isolate his voice anyway. How lame would it be if they had the background music going on at the same time, right?

• Like Like x 10
  3. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    Not necessarily. Both knees on my replacement are still going strong after almost a year.

• Like Like x 6
  4. jaypc

jaypc Liberty or Death

Maybe stretch isn't the right word. I have to apply pressure to the joint with my left thumb while bending the knee with my right hand. I still can't push the blue tab into the slot to get full range of motion. Some day I'll have to take the leg apart to see what's what.

5. Trip

Trip Prudentia Fortitudo Temperantia Iustitia

The paint is what drew me in. I honestly didn't give a crap about paint before this guy but when the first images appeared I was like "damn bro I need this", and now I can't go back. I need paint on all my figures otherwise they look incomplete to me.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Trunkkey

Trunkkey There are no bad toys, just bad people.

I love that lustrous paint. Also glad the edges are beveled and not simply broken edges. Light bounces off of those angles pleasingly and gives it that extra masterpiece *mwah*.
    No other toy gives me the feels quite like this guy.
    C153722B-0F35-480C-82F0-E54FA650003D.jpeg
    0DF51E6A-3196-49AD-AFAB-8B8EA5D7E28F.jpeg
    B78BC651-815C-4746-A60E-F839DC59E831.jpeg

• Like Like x 25
  7. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Steering it back on topic, the knees on my MP44 are still ok but I’m anxious to get MP-49 to see if anything changed.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Alright, let’s try to discuss MP-44 without casting judgement on fans who buy other options, there’s already a thread for the KO and MP-44 vs various 3P options, it doesn’t need to extend to this thread. We are trying to curb the whole Takara VS KO/3P discussion when it overtakes threads. Thanks.

• Like Like x 9
  9. AndyPurro

AndyPurro Cancerous Pyro Main

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Anyways back on topic of MP-44

My copy is still holding strong, I've gotten quite fond to transforming it often even though it's tedious as heck when trying not to scrape the paint on the crotch and torso stripes.

But he's still going strong like a champ!

• Like Like x 6
  10. Trip

20200715_100141.jpg 20200715_100137.jpg
    I recently discovered an extra tab that I was missing before in the tuck mode that helps the gas tanks stay nice and flush, and keeps that blue clip piece in place Only thing is now something sounds like it's dragging. A guy can't win. Am I missing something here?

Edit.

I think i figured it out. It took some mushing but it looks good. I dont know if I can replicate it though.

• Like Like x 4
  11. AndyPurro

AndyPurro Cancerous Pyro Main

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Have you checked the reviews to see how it tabs in?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Trip

I've checked about 12 or so. Most reviewers I've noticed skip this step completely. Or say "the tab doesn't hold"

13. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Sexy in 2019, sexy a year later. :drool: 

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Has Hasbro given up on Optimus Prime? How long did it take for them to release MP-10?

15. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    They brought MP-44 over through Hasbro Pulse and some US etailers brought it over too. After Bumblebee, they’ve largely just brought over some Takara MP’s with an additional box over them.

• Like Like x 5
  16. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Since waaayy back with MP Bumblebee ver 1
    Read:
    MPs are a Takaratomy only initiative.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Badass shots, @Trunkkey ! Great posing!

Yes, his paint is pure eye candy! I've always felt extensive paint makes figures, their sculpt & all their details, really pop. It's like having a toy in HD. Bare plastic, like MP Star Saber & the og MP Shockwave, would be a real step back. Those figure's threads were flooded with comments about how cheap they looked because of their lack of paint.

MP-44's height feels perfect, just a hair shorter than Megatron. Anything taller would throw the figure off.

So glad my copies hold their rifles nice and tight! Tighter than MP-10. Man it would've been aggravating to finally have this larger sized rifle & turns out he can't hold it.

44's painted eyes absolutely bring this guy to life. No more dead eyes! Remember all those countless complaints?

Love this guy's cartoon insignia. Perfect match! The more traditional insignia would've just felt wrong on this cartoon figure.

Honestly love every accessory this figure comes with. I use 'em all & wouldn't want to have sacrificed any of them. Gives the figure endless playability/display options.

44's all the Prime I'll ever need, but I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's MP-49 photos!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  18. franpincho

franpincho unapologetic king

As far as videos,

To this day, I have not watched a single transformation video for MP-44 or any MP.

Am I the only one? Not judging those that do, but (IMO) it just spoils the experience for me, no matter how complex it is - I mean, we’ve waited longer that a year for the most part! -

Instructions and bourbon are enough for me (I do take my time).

How about you guys?

• Like Like x 5
  19. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I haven’t watched any videos. I followed the instructions the first time from truck to bot, but that was it. But then I’m rather quick when it comes to puzzles/memorization (not trying to brag here, stating a fact). As many of you already know, I die for the complex ones :p 

• Like Like x 3
  20. UtahRobotInDisguise

UtahRobotInDisguise Herald of Utahcron

News Credits:
    Not me. I obsess over the videos and previews as I wait for mine to deliver whenever a new figure comes out. Especially if it's an anticipated 3p figure. I memorize everything I can about the transformation, and follow the videos as I transform it the first time. Can't afford the typical poor tolerances and breakages on these $100+ figures anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  21. TFC201482

TFC201482 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:

As others stated, Wotafa's vid instructions are great. Don't need to know the language, just follow along and do as he does. I watched a bunch of reviews and couldn't get the blue side pieces to ever tab, but for some reason, after watching his, I got a perfect transformation.

Wotafa's vid review

Hope it works out for you!

• Like Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.