Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. God Orion

God Orion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I hate to say that but honestly wait for the KO. The original is a great figure but with some flaws (knees, shoulders, giggly in some places, grey and yellow paint is easily scratched...). I personnally love him but I am afraid to touch him or to play with him. He is back in hix box as I consider him as a collectable more than any other figure. this is only my point of view though.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Trip

Trip Prudentia Fortitudo Temperantia Iustitia

I've gone back and forth on this one. Aesthetically there is something entrancing about this guy, but he's not the most fun to play with. I was one of the people who broke a knee ratchet and good few months after that I wouldn't touch him. During the quarantine I got bored and fixed it, it was easy and I haven't had any other issues. I'm not especially mechanically inclined and it was an easy fix, but i shouldn't have had to to begin with. Right now I'm currently in a new honeymoon phase and it hasn't left my night stand. I would say it's worth it. I'll tell you straight up the transformation is still not fun to me but the dynamic posing with it is pretty entertaining. I'd get this and the K.O. if I were you. Having the original, I'm still getting a second copy of the original and the K.O., but that's me being obsessive.

• Like Like x 7
  3. God Orion

Ebay:
    You put this perfectly!

• Like Like x 2
  4. ...Optimus...

...Optimus... Well-Known Member

$100 for the KO vs. $450 for the real thing. I just can’t see the original being worth 4.5x the price. The KO seems worth risking.

• Like Like x 6
  5. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

Well, mine was nowhere near $4...

IDGAF anymore.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Trip

Trip Prudentia Fortitudo Temperantia Iustitia

It's absurdly overpriced, but then again it's an absurd hobby. I don't buy a lot these days maybe 1 to 2 figures a quarter, but i get what I want so I don't fret over price.

• Like Like x 2
  7. franpincho

Just look at the FT fans cry for a $220 Astrotrain. I mean, it's literally pages after pages of justifying something that was coming, like it or not.

• Like Like x 6
  8. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Why are you promoting KOs on this official thead..??

• Like Like x 5
  9. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Absolutely no telling what quality the KO will be anyway.

He's the best MP of all time. He has some minor QC flaws, and he's expensive and should be treated as an expensive collectible, probably moreso than any other MP. Don't mess around with and put him into poses without being a little careful of parts rubbing against each other, if you want to avoid paint chips. He's painted from head to toe. There's no more expressive Optimus Prime figure, and for a character without a face his poseability goes so far in bringing him to life.

As far as the money, just ask yourself if you'll get that value of enjoyment from him. Simple as that.

For many MPs I've thought "nah, I'd rather have the money back than keep this in my collection". It's why I sold MP-11/S/T/SW (heck it's why I sold a lot of them). Not once have I looked at MP-44 and thought I'd rather have that money back, I enjoy him far too much.

• Like Like x 9
  10. Mal

Mal Web Head

This is what I have been thinking, but I generally don't do KOs simply as the quality can be a gamble and I like to support official channel. However, I get the KO idea.

The price I kinda get simply for the bulk of stuff he comes with, design, electronics, and etc.

Paint chipping does not bother me. I can easily fix it. I actually prefer some paint wear as that fits my imagining of giant fighting robots.

I'm mostly concerned about the legs. I don't mind doing the fix as it's fairly simple. I'm concerned with how long term that fix is?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    It's a very ambitious design that set off to do things that haven't been implemented on previous Primes, let alone MP figures.

I'm willing to wait for a 2nd run as I think it'll be worth the wait to see it polished up with all reported issues ironed out. Plus I haven't really been buying toys lately so I'm in no rush. I've seen it go down to $350+ readily available a while after it was released. Not sure if it's still available for that price now.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    haven’t heard of anyone do the fix who then reported that it broke again.

for what it’s worth my copy had no issues with its knees :thumb 

• Like Like x 4
  13. Mal

Mal Web Head

Good to know. I am sorely tempted to purchase this guy. He looks phenomenal.

• Like Like x 7
  14. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Do eeet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. God Orion

Ebay:
    There are some 3rd party figures that are cheap and their quality are second to none.

Sorry for that. I really didn't mean to, I just wanted to give my feeling about him.

I love my MP-44 but I am just too afraid by him. If you think you will enjoy him as a collector piece, then definitely get him. I got him and was astonished by him. Just disappointed by these issues that are in no way "minor" flaws. I just think we have to be honest to each others

• Like Like x 1
  16. jtwong27

jtwong27 Well-Known Member

Honestly, when you are paying 320 like some did on Amazon or paying 450 plus tax..the issues with the knees breaking etc shouldn't really happen. Paint chipping can happen so I won't fault them for that. For us in Canada, 450 equates to 600 bucks for a figure.

As I said before, when you are paying a premium for a premium product, you expect no major issues that you yourself need to fix. I think people would complain if their iPhone or Galaxy or nexus had major issues where they needed to do something to fix it.

I don't like ko's either and personally won't get one, but it's fair to talk about these figures honestly

• Like Like x 5
  17. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    D3627606-BE82-48BE-8B4B-9CA84B7C0C9D.jpeg I preordered MP44 from AJ day 1 and never had a single regret...He is perhaps the best transformer ever! Of course I have no breakage, no knee problem, no chipping except a tiny bit of grey under his arms where the part turns to expose the wheel, so that helps a lot!

• Like Like x 12
  18. franpincho

And if you paid that much and are experiencing no issues?

What then? Can't one be positive about his/her experience with the toy with everyone else? MP44 is not a faulty figure. Did some people experience problems (that were easily fixable, BTW) with it? Absolutely (name a toy that doesn't have them).

Had it been MP47 type of problems, by all means, everyone gets to shit on it, myself included.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Mal

Mal Web Head

You sir a true salesman :thumb 

• Like Like x 4
  20. Robotmonkeys

Robotmonkeys Sons of Cybertron

Ebay:
    MP44

• Like Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.