Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    this reminds me i have had the diecast replacement knees for my mp09b to fit ! i have only had them for 5 years or so or maybe more :lol 

2. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Definitely not a spring chicken! Had a few back surgeries already and this stuff can be a real bummer if I let it. What's funny is it actually did go out while I was posing him trying to take pictures haha. I was kneeling down trying to get a low angle and when I was getting up with him it went out on me and I kinda collapsed and dropped him on his head. Thank God for those flexible antennae!

Yeah, he was a real godsend!

MP-10's MSRP was 22,000Y in 2011 and MP-44's was 50,000Y in 2019. Of course that's not an accurate reflection of what most of us paid for these figures. I bought a TT MP-10 for $300 back in '14 (the Hasbro Asia reissue that came with Vector Sigma and a stand) after I wanted an upgrade from the Hasbro one I had and was happy to pay it at the time (more paint, more accurate Roller, richer colors), though I think a lot of fans got MP-10 for around $250 from places like BBTS upon release back when ordering from Asian dealers was less common. I ended up paying $327 shipped for MP-44 from Amazon Japan. Before the price reveal I was speculating that 44 would cost around $250 after preorder discounts based off Megatron's price of around $200. The actual price reveal was shocking at first but I've gotten more than my money's worth of enjoyment out of the figure already and I'll continue to enjoy him for years to come.

I love 45 Bumblebee, but he's the one that's overpriced.

@REDLINE , sorry to hear about your wheel, man. No hope of a replacement or fix? Was it because you tried to fold up the wheel before sliding it forward?

• Like Like x 3
  3. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I could've sworn I remember Hasbro did their own version of MP-10 that was like $90 or $100. And it's a massive bummer that because of the Hasbro/Takara deal thing, it doesn't look like MP-44 will get the same treatment MP-10 did when he got localized (namely, a massive price drop, and maybe a brighter paint job and more English voices). Maybe that's why MP-44 has those Peter Cullen lines?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dean ML

That $100 price on the TRU/Hasbro MP-10 didn't last long, iirc, and was moved up to around $120 -150 if I'm remembering correctly. Still a great deal on a great figure, but it did have less paint, too. With 44, though, what we got is what we got and Hasbro Pulse selling it for an astronomical price (was it $450?) is how it's gonna be.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    check the radicons section for a number of fixes for this mold . I have it bookmarked as it’s such a useful tool for the figures transformation / quick fix’s.

• Like Like x 3
  6. BrutiKing

BrutiKing M O I S T

News Credits:
    I don’t believe we have a perfect fix for tightening the waist swivel though. It seems like you just wrap string around it I believe. I will try my best to get a fix for this, but I really wish there were 25 hours in a day...

• Like Like x 3
  7. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    :( 

Let me know when they reissue it with less awkward knees, less susceptibility to paint chipping, more English lines, and half the price. /jk

• Like Like x 1
  8. Samue1

Samue1 Not to be confused with Sam Witwicky

Thanks to both of you!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Has anyone figured out an exact match for the white on his pelvis and thighs? All the white paints I have are a bit too yellow compared to the factory paint.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, I don't remember my exact mixes, but I did finally manage to near perfectly match it. I used mostly Gloss white, with a decent amount of purple, plus a little pink and clear blue. It's such a bright, ultraviolet white, I've never seen an out-of-bottle brand that matches it.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Dean ML

Man, brilliant job! I can't tell the difference between the white you mixed and the factory paint. It's seamless!

[​IMG]

(Jarrod painted the white around the yellow bits on his underwear and it looks identical)

• Like Like x 16
  12. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Christmas Autobots!

699FB922-4390-4865-8BB0-878697194BB4.jpeg 371AB484-0409-4DF0-87A0-214FDF7A4BA8.jpeg

• Like Like x 23
  13. Dean ML

Fun and awesome shots, man! I've been pretty stressed lately but having 44 Prime and 45 Bumblebee together really help give me some Christmas cheer! Are those energon conductors from @Sam or did you make them?

• Like Like x 4
  14. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    thanks! They’re so great together it really makes them shine when you put them in a little group.

I think the conductors were from a 3p add on kit that also had a jet pack and some faces for mp21 iirc but it’s been a while :D 

• Like Like x 2
  15. Soundwave3k

Thanks Jarrod. Do you remember which brand/paint you might have used for the gloss white base? I figured out that I needed some form of blue/red/purple in minute amounts, but I think I also need to find a white that is as close to "pure white" as possible.

16. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    I used plain old Mr Color Gloss White, it's about the brightest, pure white I've found. I might have also used some clear purple. I know I just kept adding tiny amounts of the additional colors, starting with purple until I got where I wanted. It took quite a few tries to get it too. The purple and clears I used were Gaia Color, pink was also Mr Color. But the amount I used, I doubt the exact shade or brand would matter.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Soundwave3k

I just ordered a bottle. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Render

Render I’m all kinds of nerd.

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I’ve just about given up tabbing his gas tanks together in alt mode. :( :( :( 

• Like Like x 1
  19. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    @Dean ML, yeah, I thought I had already done so, either I was wrong, or gravity slid it back again. :(  I got it through preorder, surely it's been too long already

• Like Like x 1
  20. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

In one of Wotafa’s YouTube MP-44 videos he goes from bot to truck mode and I’m pretty sure he shows how to get the gas tanks to fit if you’re having trouble. You may have to trim some flash off a part if it’s not simply an alignment issue.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.