Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Render

Render I’m all kinds of nerd.

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Just got mine yesterday! I had some pretty tight tolerances with some of the tiny, blue leg bits, so just move those slowly and carefully. Also, in the instructions where it tells you to unlock and spread the wheel wells (the gray stripe pieces), be sure to unhook the faux grill with the matrix chamber on it from the crotch first, so you have room to untab the wheel wells, because it’s SUPER hard to get them untabbed when the grill is still hooked in place (like how it’s shown in the instructions).

Other than that, you’ll have so much fun with him, I’m excited for you!

• Like Like x 4
  2. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you for telling me! I have some future and I'll make sure to coat those parts. I really hope the knee isn't an issue, sounds to me that it might be similar to MP-43's cracked crotch, but I want to be prepared just in case.

I will definitely keep that in mind, thank you for sharing! I am super excited for this one. I have been very happy with TE-01 Prime, but something just kept calling me back to this one and I ordered it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Astralith257

Astralith257 New Member

Anyone have a fix for the loose hip issue yet? Mine has gotten worse recently due to the nature of the pose I had him in.

4. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Oh, a couple of tips TT tweeted out...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  5. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

:bowdown: 

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ryogawa

Ryogawa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been wondering, but has anybody released diecast replacement knee joints for this yet? Seems like a good idea to buy and swap out for.

7. Render

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Finally found my first tiny paint chip on a corner of the big yellow rectangle on OP’s pelvis. Just makes me wonder why those areas need to be painted at all? As a gunpla fan, who only top coats his models, there are times where bare plastic can look good as well. I’m pretty sure TT could’ve gotten away with unpainted, top-coated yellow plastic for those SMALL parts and maybe some unpainted, top-coated grey parts for the stripe and tips of the feet.

I’m pretty sure people wouldn’t think much of it AND it would give the very expensive figure more durability and longevity at one of the most common handling points on the figure.

Most of all, I’m just salty that it’s starting to chip after the second day!!! :cry 

• Like Like x 3
  8. Superhans

Superhans TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just got him. Literally staggering. The level of detail and engineering, and the playability is just astounding. It’s a marvel that this thing exists. They’ve put a huge amount of thought and love into him.

With that said, I spent longer transforming one of his legs for the first time than I do for the entire transformation of most of my collection.

603991B5-F29B-44FC-87E5-005DB3CD528D.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 20
  9. Render

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, it took me like and hour carefully going through the instructions! I’m glad you’re enjoying him! I LOVE complicated transformations. As long as figures are not frustrating to handle, the more engineered a figure is for me, the better! I own a bunch of Rubik’s cubes that I love solving over and over and I feel the same way about my Transformers; they’re like complicated puzzles and it feels great “solving” them!

But with Prime it’s like:

“Phew! Finally done with the legs!”

*realizes the cab still needs to be transformed*

*cracks knuckles* “Let’s do this...”

• Like Like x 10
  10. Dean ML

These two are like PB&J

[​IMG]

Shoutout to @Jarrod , guys. One of our board MVPs. I scuffed up my play copy pretty badly back in October when my back went out on me and I dropped him, then made matters even worse when I tried to touch up the scuffs with zero experience a few weeks later in the middle of the night. He was kind enough to agree to repaint the areas I ruined and give them a layer of protective coating for a small fee. I got more than my money's worth as he did a top level pro painting job. Not only would you never be able to tell he had paint damage, but he tightened the waist and painted all the red bits on the grey ribs grey, too. So glad to have a play/deskbot copy of my all time favorite figure back and better than ever. Thanks again, brother!

• Like Like x 28
  11. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Instagram:
    @Jarrod is a solid dude! Right on good work!

• Like Like x 4
  12. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I think after watching Jobby the Hong's review for Bumblebee V2, I think I’d be better off with V1.

Hey, so a point of contention over Optimus V3 is how the guy's OBSCENELY overpriced.

How much did MP-10 cost by comparison?

And on that note, how much should MP-44 cost?

• Like Like x 1
  13. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:

Threw your back out!? You gotta take it easy with the posing. You're no spring chicken anymore.

• Like Like x 3
  14. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Jarrod is a top- level Radicon, man. Ive got some custom WSTs he made me years ago. You can't tell they're not Takara.

Edit- forgot my original comment. lol I ripped the drivers side wheel off, and I bought it from Amazon. Jp. I'm so upset I can't stand to even look at him. I really don't think epoxy would hold it on strong enough for transforming.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Samue1

Samue1 Well-Known Member

Speaking of tightening the waist, what’s the best way to do so? If my copy had a tighter connection there, I’d be so much happier with it (even though I still love it haha)!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

MP 44 at Y36800

MP 10 at Y21300

• Like Like x 3
  17. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    this reminds me i have had the diecast replacement knees for my mp09b to fit ! i have only had them for 5 years or so or maybe more :lol 

18. Dean ML

Definitely not a spring chicken! Had a few back surgeries already and this stuff can be a real bummer if I let it. What's funny is it actually did go out while I was posing him trying to take pictures haha. I was kneeling down trying to get a low angle and when I was getting up with him it went out on me and I kinda collapsed and dropped him on his head. Thank God for those flexible antennae!

Yeah, he was a real godsend!

MP-10's MSRP was 22,000Y in 2011 and MP-44's was 50,000Y in 2019. Of course that's not an accurate reflection of what most of us paid for these figures. I bought a TT MP-10 for $300 back in '14 (the Hasbro Asia reissue that came with Vector Sigma and a stand) after I wanted an upgrade from the Hasbro one I had and was happy to pay it at the time (more paint, more accurate Roller, richer colors), though I think a lot of fans got MP-10 for around $250 from places like BBTS upon release back when ordering from Asian dealers was less common. I ended up paying $327 shipped for MP-44 from Amazon Japan. Before the price reveal I was speculating that 44 would cost around $250 after preorder discounts based off Megatron's price of around $200. The actual price reveal was shocking at first but I've gotten more than my money's worth of enjoyment out of the figure already and I'll continue to enjoy him for years to come.

I love 45 Bumblebee, but he's the one that's overpriced.

@REDLINE , sorry to hear about your wheel, man. No hope of a replacement or fix? Was it because you tried to fold up the wheel before sliding it forward?

• Like Like x 3
  19. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I could've sworn I remember Hasbro did their own version of MP-10 that was like $90 or $100. And it's a massive bummer that because of the Hasbro/Takara deal thing, it doesn't look like MP-44 will get the same treatment MP-10 did when he got localized (namely, a massive price drop, and maybe a brighter paint job and more English voices). Maybe that's why MP-44 has those Peter Cullen lines?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dean ML

That $100 price on the TRU/Hasbro MP-10 didn't last long, iirc, and was moved up to around $120 -150 if I'm remembering correctly. Still a great deal on a great figure, but it did have less paint, too. With 44, though, what we got is what we got and Hasbro Pulse selling it for an astronomical price (was it $450?) is how it's gonna be.

• Like Like x 4