Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Amazing!! I need to rewatch S3 cos I can't remember if that actually happened or the end was a 'what shoulda happened' joke. :) 

• Like Like x 7
  2. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Thanks, Liam! And yes, it actually happened!

Hope life's good, buddy!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool. I guess Hot Rod survived then, sadly! :) 

Life is good but damn busy. I remember sharing a pic on here just after my little Miss was born - she's just turned two. Then we got 'blessed' with two boys at once!! They're 10 months now so just starting to be more fun! :)  Time flies. That put an end to my 3d models to figure out MP engineering before release, etc etc! Hope you're good too.

• Like Like x 4
  4. chchchch

chchchch QQ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Man Dean this is now one of my, if not MOST, favorite recreations ever!! I could hear the dialogue in my head! This was also one one of the first episodes I saw as an 11yo on reruns before I was even sure the show was the same Transformers I'd watched as a 4yo...it both cleared that up and disturbed me to no end!

• Like Like x 3
  5. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    Wish I could like this multiple times...

That's such a great episode, and honestly is such a tragic and heroic ending to Optimus. To be finally be through with the war and laid to rest, only to be turned into an instrument of his former friends' destruction.

It's beautiful and honestly cheapened by bringing him back full time by the end of the season.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dean ML

Great to hear, pal! You certainly sound blessed, if not a little busy! haha Don't worry with your hands that full I don't think anyone's expecting you to backwards engineer these guys in CAD in your non-existent free time! I do miss your awesome schematics, though ;) 

Chris, huge thanks and you know I feel the same way about your shelving, especially your s2 intro recreation! I tried to do that same thing a few years ago after Grapple's release but couldn't pull it off. Even if I tried it again with MP-44 it just wouldn't be worth it because you already crushed it!

I agree to a certain extent that The Return of Optimus Prime cheapened Dark Awakening to some degree, but I'm ok with it! I remember watching Dark Awakening as a kid and getting crushed all over again, but then a year later when The Return aired I was blown away! I was just so happy he was alive again and I remember being on cloud 9 for a few days, expecting more episodes and adventures haha. Anyways, now with 44 he'll live on forever kicking ass in my collection!

• Like Like x 2
  7. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2 things got me in that episode:
    1) Prime's damage and him actually recoiling from the matrix when Hotrod handed it to him
    2) The ultimate fate of the original crew of the ark as narrated by Kup, that before they few into the sun nobody would ever see them again.
    Not the best in terms of animation but the story was definitely solid.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dean ML

Definitely dark and heavy for a mid 80's kids cartoon! S3 felt more mature overall to me compared to s2, even if Wheelie and Grimlock were silly as hell.

One of the countless things I love about MP-44 is how he's made to fit in with s1, 2, The Movie, and s3. I'll never get tired of this figure!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Temp1

Temp1 Well-Known Member

Mp44 looks so good ...so happy it was released.

I find it interesting when people complain that there have been too many MP Optimus primes. To me it seems like the right move with the change in direction in recent years...mp01 was the old scale and mp-10 reflected the line before they went toon accurate. I’m glad they’ve committed to the toon aesthetic (with glossy paint and chrome, which I love) it feels like that will be the direction for the long haul. I hope.

I was never a big fan of mp-10, so it always felt like a big gap in my collection. That said, I do appreciate the context and it’s importance to the evolution of MP’s so I get why people still love it.

I’ve got my mp-44 waiting for me to open for Xmas (I got it back when it was first released!) but every now and then I check in on this page and it gets me excited.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

I admire your patience!!!

• Like Like x 7
  11. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I consider myself a patient person, but compared to you sir I am a piker! LOL! I salute your patience. :eek: :) 

• Like Like x 4
  12. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

You practice Zen? I couldn't even control myself transforming him once out of the box with youtube in tow for instruction!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    MP Prime is and has been, the guinea pig to showcase the latest engineering Takara has been tinkering with. As good as MP-44 is, the next Prime is likely to outshine it in a way we might not even think of currently.

14. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I actually cried out laughing! This is flipping incredible Dean! One of my favorite scenes of all time.. Grim Dark!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Dean ML

Thanks, brother! Can't remember, did you get your hands on this figure or did you sell your PO and are waiting for a reissue? My copies are fine, btw ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dean ML

Turns out 44 Prime pulls off a great squat pose!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  17. chchchch

chchchch QQ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Amazing, I still can't believe the depth of the knee bend. And I certainly could be forgetting one, but has any other MP had a separate toe flex joint?!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Agent 539

Agent 539 Blackrock Gas Attendant TFW2005 Supporter

I'm afraid to think of what the next Prime and that level of engineering will look like. However, I'm really excited to see that level of execution applied toward future MPs and V2s. At the very least, the human figures should have eyes and improved joints. Maybe even be made of some type of metal compound.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Dean ML

Yes, a remarkable figure indeed and obviously my favorite! As far as a toe flex, am I wrong in remembering that MP-10 had it? Not sure, it's been a few months since I sold him on. Never had MP-1 or any of the BW MPs or MPMs, so not sure if there's a toe flex in any of those figures either.

• Like Like x 1
  20. chchchch

chchchch QQ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Oh good point, the previous Optimi do seem like likely candidates...I can't remember for MP-10 either.

• Like Like x 2