Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

x infinity for me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Primal Suit

Primal Suit Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this for a while now, and even though many people have had this idea before, I feel I have a better idea of it after experiencing MP-44 first hand. Would you guys want an MP-44L or "Lite" version? I feel like this would be a very smart decision on Takara's part. MP-44 obviously has flaws, but I feel like, with a Lite version, they can not only have a chance to fix the flaws but to reduce the price and invite customers who weren't willing to pay the $400.
    If I were in charge of the lite version, this would be my plan.
    Box Contents:

Optimus
    Sparkplug
    Gun
    Axe
    Matrix

Optimus himself should have the exact same colour tones as the original. However, I would add a silver stripe in vehicle mode; this way, some owners of the original might re-buy this due to the differences. The stripe is semi-cartoon accurate, as it did appear many times in the show. I think the transformation is really smart, and they shouldn't change it, other than the back panel, but we'll get to that later. Obviously, this new version should have stronger paint, and should have tighter joints like at the biceps, waist, etc... and of course, the knees should be fixed. The windows should be a lighter blue, and I think they should make a completely new head for this version; I was thinking a season 1-2 mix, like MP-10 but more cartoon accurate. Again, these small changes might support old buyers to get this. I think the gun should be coloured a darker grey, maybe even black, and I think the axe should have a layer of paint over the axe as well. However, the biggest change I would make is the backpack; if the electronics were removed, then it would not only would it reduce the price, but it would allow the designers to make a flatter back; although the top of the back can stay the same, the back can slope in towards the body, like in the show. The matrix could have small differences, and they can re-use the same Sparkplug, which I think is the best Minifigure. Honestly, if they released something like this, I would pick it up in a heartbeat, despite already having MP-44. It's most likely never going to happen, but never hurts to dream, right? What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 5
  3. MishMash

MishMash Well-Known Member

I'd argue we can go without Sparkplug as well. But yes, I really want this to be a thing

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I’d be fine with this , I’d expect to pay upwards to $275.00 . Remember , Takaras about making money, not making friends . If you want a cheap version , then simply go the KO route & hope they fixed some issues along the way .

• Like Like x 2
  5. PrimalPrime007

PrimalPrime007 Well-Known Member

If they priced the Lite version at around $150.00 with better QC then I might be interested.

6. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Only optimus lite is going to be a nemesis or some other variant that's still going to be over $250. I don't understand why people keep setting themselves up for disappointment. Accessories and voiceboxs are apparently hitting the mark otherwise they would have stopped doing them.

Instead of basing it on what you don't want look at it as extra you're getting because they're charging xxx.xx anyway.

• Like Like x 4
  7. MSWF377

MSWF377 Michael Scarn

My Prime is sitting on hold on Japan. He’s been in the same spot for 2+ days. The anticipation is getting uneasy. Even if he was moving slowly, at least he’d be moving. How much checking the tracking is too much?

8. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, MP-44 is loaded with accessories. While we may love or loath or feel indifferent towards them, they exist. They had to be paid for. That said, I don't actually believe they make up the bulk of the cost of the figure.

While I'd be more than happy to see this released in a more streamlined SKU and at a lower price, truthfully, unless the voice actors' inclusion in the audio clips really was part of the (arguable) price exorbitance (in which case that money has already been spent anyway barring them getting a cut for every figure sold or something crazy of course,) I still seriously doubt even removing all of the electronics, the trailer, etc. would reduce the MSRP below around $250 USD. (Not that that wouldn't still be much more enticing for many and very welcome.)

The list price (excluding retailer and other discounts) for Lio Convoy is basically $200 USD as it is. $250 for MP-44 in any form would still be pretty unlikely imo. Though not out of the realm of possibility at least. But prices like $150 and the like that people are contemplating are just not going to ever happen. Maybe if he gets released in a cheaper SKU and then you buy him used. Maybe.

(Not counting KO's of course. But I honestly expect even a KO to be upwards of $200 minimum frankly. Not that I'm endorsing getting the KO over the official. Though if they never address the knee issue, I may have to do that... I don't want to. I want to support this product. But now I'm moving away from the topic of price so I'll end there.)

This MP imo does a lot to justify its price, paint and knee issues notwithstanding. The engineering, the look, the design, and accessories, to me - at least nearly - justify the premium price. Because I honestly feel I can see where the money went. And because of that, I don't see them being able to sell him for anything below $250 USD list price in any form without eating a loss basically. But as always we're all just speculating.

• Like Like x 5
  9. God Orion

God Orion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would not want the silver stripes for vehicle mode. Otherwise it wouldn’t be cartoon accurate and there would be no need for all this engineering if it wasn’t for an amazingly cartoon accurate OP. Also the blue on the windows is perfect. Nothing would have to be changed except for the knees that would have to be fixed.

Apart from that there is nothing to be changed on that figure. But I would gladly buy a cheap version.

And I am sad to say this as it wouldn’t support all the great work TT has been through with this amazing release, but I would even buy a cheap improved KO.

10. Reygn

Reygn Banned

A MP-44L would still cost $300, knock offs are the way to go for people on a budget, or for people who want an upgraded Optimus.

11. Reygn

Reygn Banned

Comparing the peak of MP-44, to something like Roadking, he's worth about $150 - $170 max, the accessories are worth about $120, making a true to value MP-44 cost at least $270. If Takara had upgraded MP-44 to my specs for a knock off, the base figure would easily be $200, making the total cost $320.

12. Reygn

Reygn Banned

An upgraded knock off MP-44 would easily be worth $200. Also, if people want a silver stripe in truck mode, someone should make a bracket that can clip onto the front of the cab, thus giving us a silver stripe.

13. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

There is precedent with Rodimus Prime. Who knows once Hb crunches the numbers?

Prime figure
    energon ax
    ion blaster
    Matrix
    Spike or Sparkplug or Carly.

Maybe the rocket pack?

14. Furyan

Furyan Furyanicon

News Credits:
  15. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I honestly didn't think I was going to love the figure as much as I do. I am not a G1 fan, I didn't grow up with it, I don't have nostalgic feelings to those designs. But it really just feels so good in hand, I have transformed it when I get home from work every day since I got it. I think it's easily equal to MP-36 save for one aspect, the final Truck hitch tab into alt mode. Everything else is incredible shape shifting in these discrete satisfying chunks. JUST FEELS SO GOOD!

• Like Like x 5
  16. cybertronwarriors

cybertronwarriors @cybertronwarriors on Instagram

Instagram:
    Thank you. Yes, I have tons on my channels: IG, TW, FB. Though my IG channel is probably the best place to find them all consolidated.

17. franpincho

franpincho unapologetic king

Nic.gif

• Like Like x 10
  18. Reygn

Reygn Banned

• Like Like x 1
  19. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Wait til the new Starscream gets announced.
    "I wish we had a lite version, I just need him ,2 null rays, and bubble wrap, I throw the boxes away anyway, I'd pay $50 for that".:D 

• Like Like x 5
  20. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

Got my copy Saturday. Zero issues with the knees and he looks the part...Got a box full of stuff that will remain in said box forever. Came in truck mode so transformed him once and since I have MP-10, MP-10 will be my truck version and MP-44 will be my Robot version. Looks flawless.

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.