Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. God Orion

God Orion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    @Gamerlingual , see, the fix is not difficult to do by yourself. The way I see it, it’s an easy thing to do and once’s it’s done you will never worry about the knees being a potential issue. You can still of course not do it because your knees are ratcheting fine but you most definitely seem a bit worried and applying the fix is a good way to not be worried anymore and having your figure next to perfect. Hope that helps you making your decision.

2. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Ebay:
    What holds me back, my wife gave it to me. So it's also a special treasure from her heart.

• Like Like x 4
  3. RichP

RichP expert robotopossum player

That's the most beautiful thing I've ever read on this forum. Possibly the internet.

• Like Like x 6
  4. galvatran

galvatran Well-Known Member

Admittedly, bar’s set pretty low, actually very very low, given every second posting is a fanboy/girl rant or needless bickering.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Re: The antennae, like @chchchch and others have said, doing it by hand works. They're very tolerant of bending so don't worry too much about breaking them. Don't need to worry about melting them this way, either.

Three weeks in of constant daily posing and three back and forth transformations, my play copy's knees are still good. Still my favorite figure ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 33
  6. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yeah... it's not possible. The physics are all over the place. I gave it a go though...

20190924_110535.jpg

His big backpack works for the torso... then you try to position his arms and rifle and it goes downhill. Sadly Prime can't hold his rifle at a 45° angle without corners clashing. Then you realize that he has the rifle tucked under his arm but facing towards the camera and up at the same time. The arm that holds the magazine would need to be a third longer than the other arm.

Sadly while doing this pic I noticed that Sunstreaker is still the only bot with completely poseable wrists. Prime won't be doing any Kamehameha attacks anytime soon.

• Like Like x 11
  7. BenLeong

BenLeong Well-Known Member

One accessory that a 3rd party could easily make that I’d definitely buy are alternative chest windows. That way, we can get:

1. More toon-accurate lighter-blue
    2. Clear
    3. Battle-damaged

• Like Like x 4
  8. God Orion

Ebay:
    I understand, my wife insisted for me to get it since I worked so hard for it but could not yet afford it. But don’t worry mate, applying the fix won’t take any value out of the figure. Instead, it might add some value to it! Still, it’s your decision, I am only trying to help you worry less over that possible knee issue.

My favorite figure also!

• Like Like x 2
  9. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I've seen this pop up a few times. I would like battle damaged windows too but how would they be swapped with the originals?

10. BenLeong

Seemed like on mine, the windshield wiper piece can just pop off, and then you can take the window glass pieces (2 per side) out.

11. God Orion

Ebay:
    @BrutiKing indeed explained the windshield part is just glued on.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Not necessarily...don't use that joint and it won't happen. It's an unfortunate solution, but I can live without doing extreme poses as it pretty much sits on a shelf.

• Like Like x 3
  13. God Orion

Ebay:
    Buy a statue is then a much better solution.

14. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Instagram:
    18 days in and my knees are still great with no fixes applied. I’m not bothering to do the fix unless it actually needs doing...why bother risking stripped screws, lost springs, paint blemishes or glue mishaps, etc when there’s no need? I’m not at all convinced that every copy will need to be fixed eventually. There may have been some tolerance variants between batches or something in the piece that ends up warping on many but not all. Anyway I’ll do it if and when it needs doing and not before.

I’ve also gotten my antennas much, much more straight simply by manipulating them by hand without heat, using only patience and persistence.

And yeah best toy ever! Hasn’t left my side (while I’m home) since he arrived! He also makes mp-36 Megatron and really, every other mp better just by being near them. Fantastic stuff!

• Like Like x 9
  15. BenLeong

Awesome photos. Makes me wish even more, though, that we had a more toon accurate Sideswipe to match his brother.

• Like Like x 1
  16. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Is it? Point me to the statue that's the same size, same aesthetic, same price or cheaper, and is in a pose I want it to be in forevermore and I'll consider it...

That said, I never said it was't a problem nor am making an excuse for it or giving it a pass...it's complete bullshit, plain and simple. I SHOULD be able to bend the knees in extreme poses all I want and more. But what I did say (or at least imply) is it probably won't happen to mine because I know not to use their shitty knees in the way they were intended to be able to use. Am I happy about it? No. But it is what it is...

• Like Like x 1
  17. God Orion

Ebay:
    Fair point.

I don’t know if any statue that looks as good as MP-44.

But I just don’t understand why everyone is talking so much about the knees when there is a perfectly working fix that doesn’t jeopardize the integrity or quality of the figure and that makes this knee issue nothing but a bad souvenir. I of course understand we should not have to do anything to fix a brand new figure, but I wanted to enjoy it 100%, and that fix made that happen.

What I am saying is that I don’t want to lose my time and energy with this knee issue when it can be fixed especially as I have struggled so much to pay for this figure.

I hope you get my point, I just want to enjoy my MP-44 100% and I want to keep reading about people enjoying it as much as I do. I want everyone to be happy about it!

• Like Like x 3
  18. moofiee

moofiee Beam Saber!~

Haven been here for a couple of days and nothin changed. New and more postings of mp44 issues are still rolling in.... :( 

19. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I don't 'play' with my figures much anymore so it won't have a major impact on me to just avoid extreme poses. I could do the fix, but as much use as I get out of it, it's not really worth my time and effort for something that's not currently broken and likely won't ever break with my normal usage. I still think it's lame that it's so shoddy...I'd probably enjoy the ability to do crazy poses for all the 15 minutes I might actually take advantage. But knowing there's a real possibility of malfunction, I'll just avoid it.

Personally, the paint chipping might be more annoying. I actually transformed this guy more than I usually do. I went from alt mode to bot mode when I first opened it...then I went nuts and transformed it to alt mode and back one more time! That's more action than most of my figures get these days. And I got an ever so tiny chip in his gray waist area. Probably not noticeable enough to bother trying to fix it, but enough that I'll probably never give it another go because THAT is a time bomb waiting to happen even if you're careful.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

I think it's just a matter of time - I hope!

• Like Like x 4