Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    The curving has nothing to do with being in truck mode though. You can see the same issue with the season 1 head, which was packaged separately.

• Like Like x 6
  2. BrutiKing

BrutiKing Apparently Ratchet Now.

News Credits:
    I guess he meant the bent one that some members were having. Not the subtle curves most have, but the unlucky ones who have a horn bent hard enough where you can measure it with a protractor. That might've helped, as there is a chance factory workers jam the prime head into the chamber as they installed it, thus leaving a bend. Just my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Reygn

Reygn Leader of The Abyss

Yup, this is what I meant.

4. Reygn

Thank You

5. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

One of our buddies here broke his antenna:(  . I know the feeling of having your prized collection damaged. Double ouch if by your own hand.:oops: 

Btw, has anyone uploaded an actual straight out of the box Convoy head that is actually straight image? Fig Magazines not included.;) 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Baedal

Baedal Active Member

Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago, I was finally able to transform it and take some photos.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 20
  7. Reygn

20190923_210134.jpg
    This must be doneith, somehowith

• Like Like x 1
  8. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Very imposing and heroic!

• Like Like x 1
  9. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    gotcha!

Yeah I think it was @oku that damaged one of his antennas with a hair dryer. It sucks!

The warm water method is a lot safer though. Also, some members have been able to bend their's in place without the use of any heat.

But yeah, if the curve doesn't bother you, no need to touch em.

I'm a lot happier with mine after straightening then out though.
    IMG_1660.JPG IMG_1661.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  10. Alex Bushilla

Alex Bushilla New Member

Has anyone noticed this guy can transform with his battle damaged side piece and his battle damaged head? His antenna seem like they\'ll catch but they move out of place when putting his head in the cab. I\'m thinking this is why all antenna are made of this material

• Like Like x 2
  11. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It actually looks better in person than in those pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    Quick question, you know the one shot where he lands on the ground in the movie and is blowing away soundwave and he has that slight twist while holding his gun with both hands as he's firing away repeatedly?

Can he pull off that pose? I know it was drawn a little strange back then, but I love that pose so much. I really loved how he was able to hold his rifle that way too. Never seen him do it like that ever again in any incarnation. He held it sorta Sideways. it just looks so rad to me is all. Was really hoping the MP-44 could pull it off too.

Screenshot_1.png

• Like Like x 2
  13. Fafnir72

So this was repaired by you? Any chance there's an image of a straight antenna untouched/unrepaired at all?

Again, not giving Takara a pass on this but iirc, a lot of products have this hail mary card of "images may vary from actual product":lolol .

Now that you mention it, if the head swap option was not implemented, like MP01 and MP10, the antennas should have been adjustable. Why Takara took the other route of using the softy curved ones are either that, conscious design/ material use choice or crappy materials that bent.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rogerimus

Rogerimus Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Wow beautiful ! That light definitely makes the figure justice.

• Like Like x 3
  15. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This prompted me to go back and look out of curiosity... and no. I can't find a single un-repaired image with totally straight antennae and even the repaired ones have some faint residual curvature even if you have to look hard for it. So then I went back and looked at all the official imagery just out of curiosity, and...

... every single image, from resin prototype, to official photography, to box images, to fully painted show pieces, have straight antennae.

How does this happen? It's like they have a near flawless product, then just as it's about to cross the finish line... some tiny thing in production or assembly or materials or packaging or something else we'll never know prevents it from sticking the landing. After all that time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears that had to have gone into this thing.

I have to imagine it's as frustrating for the designers as it is for us, if not even more so, at times.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fafnir72

Something did happen. Anybody here who reads/speaks Japanese get anything from the JP collector grapevine? Or directly emailed Takara's customer service why this lead to Convoy's curved antenna?

My posting of an uncurved antenna btw is for the post release to the public product not the pre release photos.

Seems like aside from the protractor measured curve lemons some of our buddies unfortunately received, there is not a single MP-44 with a straight one being reported.

• Like Like x 2
  17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That specific pose is pretty much impossible, because it's got very Rob Liefeld-esque broken anatomy. The plane of his back is tilted toward the viewer, yet his left shoulder is somehow brought all the way around so that he can hold the foregrip on his rifle. That means that his left shoulder is simultaneously in line with his right, and also in front of his chest.

• Like Like x 2
  18. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Everytime I transform this figure, into either mode, I stare at it in awe and think, "I can't believe this actually exists."

• Like Like x 13
  19. HolyCulture

HolyCulture I'm so much a toon guy that I framed Roger Rabbit.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I know that feeling. Been happening steadily since Ironhide for me. It’s quite the lineup of amazing toys

• Like Like x 9
  20. opoptimus

opoptimus SUN WUKONG, not Son Goku.

News Credits:
    The more I play his voices the more I feel that although it’s really awesome to have Peter Cullen’s voice, I would’ve really loved his younger voice from the 80s; lines from TFTM would be superb! Imagine holding this figure in hand and having him say: “Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost”. I’d literally cry:D 

Not complaining, just I’ve always associated his older voice with Bayverse Prime.

• Like Like x 1