Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!

Ebay:
    Will only buy this if his mode is sleep.

Who is megatron on the phone with?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Well, I managed to find some time to open the MP-44 I got for my brother and run a quality check.

Pleased to report a solid figure with no major paint issues, both knees working properly out of the box, and no missing or incorrect parts.

A few things worth noting:
    • Left hip (Prime’s left) ratchet has a softer click to it right out of the box. Perhaps this is somewhat normal and something I don’t need to worry about on my copy.
    • Damn right antenna on the S2 head is bent. Not as badly bent as mine, but it’s curved inward. Probably easier to fix than mine is though.
    • Ab crunch joint was very easy to pop out into working position on this copy, as opposed to mine which needed screws loosened in order to get it out. This second/brother copy has a nice tight waist swivel.
    • One of the hands had some gummy residue on its back. Rubbed off easily, but at first I thought it was a paint issue.
    All in all, it looks like a I have a great copy for my bro. Good news there is I don’t need to return it to Amazon JP.

Having experienced this figure again fresh out of the box, it makes me wish my other copy was in as good shape — especially the waist (which became loose through my attempts to pull out the ab joint).

Now I find myself wondering if I should return my copy and see if I can get one without a bent antenna.

• Like Like x 8
  3. BrutiKing

BrutiKing Apparently Ratchet Now.

News Credits:
    Megatron’s on call with shockwave to bring the rainmakers and ruin prime’s day.

4. tomac66

tomac66 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

The pieces are removable, to transform you have to remove these and put the orginals, it is easy and fast to do so.

They are made of styrene sheets and then painted.

DSC_3632.JPG DSC_3635.JPG

Putting back the original parts, which are the front and rear of the truck, but the change is easy.

Unfortunately it is not printed in 3d, it is handmade, but it would be very easy to design the piece in 3d for someone who has the printer.

The paint is very similar, it is Tamiya spray, TS-8, Italian red, it is almost the same color, then it has a layer of clear Tamiya spray on it. :) 

• Like Like x 7
  5. BrutiKing

News Credits:
    Damn! That’s a nice plaplate job.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jdk504

Jdk504 @REDWOLF130

Really loving this Prime. Very emotive and alot of the small nuances add up to a big win for me. I'm wanting a second copy, but will wait for the reissue V2. Not because of the small issues surrounding this modern marvel but because I'm hoping they'll release a Prime without the accessories and trailer since I already have those. Although I wouldnt mind some of the minor quirks ironed out.

What are the chances they do something similar as a Mp1 and Mp4 release? I'm sure they wont want to cannibalize their sales, but I'm betting the higher price tag (worth it to me) along with numerous 3rd party alternatives have to cut into their market share.

• Like Like x 1
  7. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

The abdomen grey stripes are ridic on my copy ... any sort of physical contact and the paint is sliding right off ... I love the fig but this, the knees, the assorted other problems ... there’s a clear reason why this was taken off Amazon JP ...

• Like Like x 3
  8. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Horrible user reviews of course.

• Like Like x 1
  9. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    looks that good i thought it was printed :)  i have a couple of cans of ts-8 perfect colour for seeker wing stripes used it on a couple of customs , also painted a few visors and eyes red with it because it's nice and bright

• Like Like x 1
  10. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Update on my MP-44 copy. Right knee joint is starting to develop issues.

Due to this, the loose waist pin, and the bent antenna (not curved like most, but was actually bent outward straight out of the box and has not been something I can easily fix), I'm contemplating seeing if I can get an exchange through Amazon JP.

When I go to my MP-44 order on AJP an click the "Return or replace items" button, the first step is "Choose items to return". Stepping through the process, I don't see it mention anywhere that there will be an exchange or that they will be shipping me a new item.

Question for those who have requested an exchange from AJP: If there's still an option for an exchange, will it be obvious in this process or do I need to submit a return request first and then they tell me if they can exchange the item?

Thanks!

11. InsaneJester17

InsaneJester17 Well-Known Member

You have to select the right reason for a return for exchange to even show up as a button. I don't remember what the button was, but since MP44's page from Amazon JP is gone, they might not allow an exchange. If you don't get the button for exchange, I would chat or e-mail them and ask for one.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Thanks! I was choosing the "Defective/Does not work properly" option. Not sure if that should offer an exchange button or not. All I get is indication that I'm returning the item.

I'll see if I can get an answer via chat or email.

Update: I had a chat with Amazon JP customer service and they said MP-44 is out of stock and I can only get a refund. Seems all I can do at this point are to just be content with the copy I have and maybe perform some of the fixes posted here. Well, unless I want to keep the copy I got for my brother as mine and maybe get him another one later.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Hail Galvatron

Hail Galvatron Well-Known Member

Does anybody have a Siege Jetfire that they can take a photo of next to MP-44?

14. Tortugatron

Tortugatron Well-Known Member

If you know someone who has access to the software to draft the 3D models, getting them ready for printing and distribution of the files should be simple.

On another note, does anyone have a paint reference that would match the blue? I Posted a few pages ago mine has a chip on the front of the foot.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BrutiKing

News Credits:
    I can always help you out if you have any issues. DM me, and we’ll see what we can do.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Thanks, dude! I’ll send you a message when I have a moment. Your offer of help is much appreciated. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  17. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Could you please elaborate on how your knee developed issues? When the blue tab goes into the white slot was it tight? Or was it sometimes not going in at all?

My copy was fine out of the box and I keep bending the knees every few days to check them and they perform exactly the same with no change. They’re still good. So I’m trying to figure out why some copies develop issues later. I saw the recommended mods to prevent issues but mine works so well I haven’t bothered doing them. But I’m a little concerned because of what happened to you. The blue part behind the knees on mine seem loose and move around a bit when bending the knees. Almost like they’re floating. But like I said they seem to be working great and I have all nine ratchet clicks on both knees.

Thanks! And I’m sorry you’re having issues. I know it can be frustrating.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime We have Landed

News Credits:
    097D3CBB-71AD-46D3-9FA8-F84E6ABE4D60.jpeg 0832600E-8B67-4648-A4A0-1908CAC2FFF4.jpeg

• Like Like x 16
  19. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

I’ll try to explain and if I have time I’ll make a video as that might be better.

First I’ll say that while it’s been recommended to bend the knee joints in a specific order to avoid damaging the second joint, I suspect that the design was intended to have the joints operate in sequence regardless of how leg is operated. By that I mean that if the joint parts were flawless it wouldn’t matter if one held the leg by the shin or the knee, and that bending the leg should first engage the top joint until it reaches its full rotation, then the lower joint will be engaged. On a “healthy” knee this operation works smoothly.

On my copy of MP-44, Prime’s left knee operates as described above. His right knee, however, has begun to engage the lower joint first unless I very specifically hold the leg in place and ensure that the top joint is bent first.

It’s not a matter of the blue tab at the back of the knee not slotting in properly, it’s that the lower joint begins to bend before the upper joint does. Whatever part of the mechanism is supposed to be keeping the lower joint locked until it’s engsged isn’t holding up as strongly as it needs to.

Hopefully this explanation makes sense. If you or anyone else has questions that would help clarify what I’m observing, feel free to ask. :) 

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  20. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The knees on my figure seem fine for now, but it's impacted how much I play with and handle it. I might just stick it into a detolf until a more proper fix comes around. Would there be enough interest for a third party in creating die-cast replacement parts for the knees do you think?