Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    You'll get your chrome crotch on mp44+. We all win then.

Patience grass hopper.

Meanwhile I'd love MP Dinobots with bright yellow and white instead of chrome.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Most definitely. I this is why I was expecting MP-44’s pelvis and thighs to have a pearlescent paint similar to the faces and other parts on Inferno and Grapple. While I was surprised that they went full white on 44, it doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would.

Oh well. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  3. franpincho

franpincho Well-Known Member

Yes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Reygn

Reygn Leader of The Abyss

So I just watched @Kuma Style review on MP-44

Annd I'm a bit unsure of how I feel. He's definitly one of my favorite reviews on the basis that he knows how to pose figure. In this review, however, it felt static. He didn't really pose it like he had with MP-36

In that review, you could see just how posable that figure was, and it is more posable than MP-44. Then in the MP-44 review, he didn't really show off it's posability outside of the articulation segment, which is understandable given the amount of stuff he had to cover. But he really didn't do the figure justice; though, not to the extent HasTak has done to it.

Ok, now all I'm doing is talking about Kuma, when I'm trying to talk about MP-44.

MP-44 has great posablity, more than most, but given the thing it has to deal with (bad QC, voice box), it doesn't really get the praise it deserves. It's fairly larger than Sunstreaker, meaning that since it has nearly the same degree of posability, it won't be able to hold up it's weight in certain poses, namely ones in which the ab crunch in engaged. Sunstreaker doesn't really have that problem since it A, has less of an ab crunch, and B, is lighter than Optimus. Sunstreaker also seems to get a bit more away with it's panel lines and overal open sculpt. Both MP-36 and MP-44 are shamed because of their panel lines, and yes, they are unsightly, but then when people talk about Sunstreaker, they seem to not be as critical. I'm guessing a lot of this added hate comes from the fact that these $150 figures (base figure), cost over $200 and $400 respectivily.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I wouldn't use the markers for high contact places. They won't hold up.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

This verily. There seems to be an innate psychological barrier among us humans on when is it too expensive. Not all of us is that "collector" in the parable searching for the world's greatest pearl.

For me, if financially I could afford, I'd get a vintage minty G1 Overlord, Black Zarak, Victory Saber, Grandus on the fly but there are life's other priorities. I did get MP-44 (still waiting for delivery via Sal Parcel). I hope MP Meister won't be too expensive.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Reygn

May I ask what makes you and many others want mint G1 figures. I'm just not one for nostalgia, and I want to now why they make you guys feel the way you do about them.

8. Goldimus Prime

Goldimus Prime Veteran

@OptimusTimelord, absolutely stunning work, you always blow my socks off.

I really want to see your two gifs side by side so...
    giphy new optimus.gif
    giphy old optimus.gif

• Like Like x 12
  9. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

I also want to see those side-by-side with this:
    249145D3-6151-410E-9B0F-350B587A70A8.gif

• Like Like x 7
  10. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

That's one of the things that Wotafa does so elegantly in his video without even having to speak.... it was very clear from his transformation video which way that forearm panel goes and which way it doesn't go. That prevents most of the damage but the big yellow rectangle in the middle is still going to be in some danger.

11. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Mp44 missing silver strip=Epic Fail!

12. Mr H

Mr H Old bot from Iacon...

Ebay:
    Finally got my ShowZ order in today, took 15 days. Transformation was scary at some points, but I managed to get it done in under an hour thanks to YouTube. I didn't see pics posted recently, but was the pin standard with all orders or was it an Asian order exclusive?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  13. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

Minty as in playable and worth the price of entrance. (I did mention the JP exclusives Tfs minty). I have quite a few G1 and JP Car robots pre owned one with a box in atrocious condition but the content pristine(my 1st ebay bid). My other G1 combiners (Defensor and Menasor) I completed via ebay were also minty but loose.

I'm also one who opens the box and plays with them. I don't keep them MISB so, given the price point, minty is the way to go.

14. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Cartoon silver strip doesn’t go fully across cab = Epic Fail!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Reygn

But why, why buy figures with limited articulation, and with odd proportions ? I'm genuinely curious.

• Like Like x 1
  16. godaiking

godaiking Well-Known Member

Well you kinda answered the question for most people who collect mint or sealed G1s. Nostalgia. I'm assuming you weren't around when Transformers came in '84; it was a pretty big deal for kids of my generation (I just turned 45). They were made in japan, made of metal/plastic and unique compared to a majority of the boys toys out at the time (G.I. Joe, He man, etc)

I have alot of sealed and mint G1s. Its a cheap and practical way for me to go back in time to the 80s. Its also why I collect masterpiece and rewatch the G1 cartoon.

• Like Like x 18
  17. Reygn

Well I already knew their history, I just wanted to know what you guys feel. I may have not been born in the 80's, but I do have my own things. I grew up with Lego, with my first set being the Ninjago Jay's Stormfighter. That set and Lego itself has made me who I am today, someone who loves to build, to create something from our dreams. I almost got the Legacy version a few months ago, but I ended up going with the Ultra Dragon, which I regret. When I think about that set, I think about how much I love to create or figure out how things work.

Oh wait, oh, ohh, ohhhhhhhhhh

• Like Like x 1
  18. KayODave

KayODave Still a grey prototype

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I had to take out the sliding tab and shave the tip down until it fit securely into the teeth of the joint. Honestly it’s not a well designed lock, and though it now holds MP-44’s weight, it just barely does.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Trunkkey

Trunkkey This Trukk turns into a Munky. Yesss...

I got a soul of chogokin Voltron for $400.
    It was nice cuz it had a lot of die cast, but it didn’t feel amazing, parts were falling off because of the die cast to plastic joint nonsense, it wasn’t painted, and generally wasn’t mind blowing...but nobody lost their shit over it like they did for the mp-44.
    So what’s up with that?
    C652DA11-AB0A-4BEB-A5CF-FA78DB3D89EA.jpeg 0F8A2E6E-2CEB-41C4-AA1A-710F61BA277B.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  20. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well most of us got our Voltron for 299. There's definitely something up with you ;) 

• Like Like x 3